What is this tree ?

1 view

Marc Kossa

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Hello,

I'm trying to identify a small tree (shrub?) that is located here in
Austin.

It seems to be evergreen (has all its leaves right now), and has
orange/red small fruits (looking like tomatoes) 10 mm of diameter. The
simple leaves are in small alternate clusters. They are about 30mm in
length for the longest ones, and are rather elongated, a little bit
folded along the axis, and have the tip cut in (there is a notch at the
tip, it is neither pointed nor flat). The underside of the leaves are of
a lighter green than the upperside.
It has a few long thorns on the twigs, very shap ones.

All in all, from what I can find in the field guides I have, I think it
looks like an hawthorn, but the leaves are not toothed at all.

The tree is about 4 meters high.

Anyone can help me with this tree ?

Thanks,

Marc
PS: for those of you interested, the tree is on Burnet Rd at the level
of Braker Ln, next to the IBM fence. There are a few of them along the
fence, and the bright red color of the fruits make them very pretty from
the road.
--
wwwww
g( o 0 )g Marc KOSSA Level 3 Support

gary

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Marc Kossa <ko...@austin.ibm.com> wrote

> I'm trying to identify a small tree (shrub?) that is located here in
> Austin.
>
> It seems to be evergreen (has all its leaves right now), and has
> orange/red small fruits (looking like tomatoes) 10 mm of diameter. The
> simple leaves are in small alternate clusters. They are about 30mm in
> length for the longest ones,
> The tree is about 4 meters high.

This is obviously some kind of alien foreign tree, since all our local
trees come in feet and inches. I suggest cutting the damn thing down
before it spreads.

gary

Tracey

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Marc Kossa wrote:

> --\ (---) /------------------------------------------------------------
> \_) (_/ Love animals, don't eat them.

Marc,
I couldn't help but notice your signature about animals and I wanted to
tell you that I am a member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
Some are pets, and some are food.
The problem is that some people in certian neighborhoods do not know the
difference!

Robert Schroeder

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Marc,

Pay no attention to Tracey/david.

This person can't even tell which sex they are, but they are filled with
all kinds of hate none-the -less.

The tree you mentioned sounds like it might be an overgrown "heavenly
bamboo".

Robert

Jeff Barringer

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

gary wrote:

> Marc Kossa <ko...@austin.ibm.com> wrote
> > I'm trying to identify a small tree (shrub?) that is located here in
>
> > Austin.

> I suggest cutting the damn thing down
> before it spreads.
>
> gary

Heck... I'd get out the bulldozer or the Valpar myself......
Of course we could telll Jim Bob Moffett, and maybe Freeport Macmoran
could pave over it and build a golf course next to it.........

--
Jeff Barringer

Marc Kossa

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Robert Schroeder wrote:
> The tree you mentioned sounds like it might be an overgrown "heavenly
> bamboo".

Hi Robert,

I think the heavenly bamboo has pointed leaves. This one doesn't.
Someone in austin.gardening identified it, it is a pyracantha:
http://gnv.ifas.ufl.edu/~fairsweb/images/4h/pyrcoa4.gif

Thanks,

Marc

--
wwwww
g( o 0 )g Marc KOSSA Level 3 Support
oOO--(_)---OOo---------------------------------------------------------
Groupe Bull c/o IBM, 11400 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78758
905/6F-015 Tel:(512) 838-1831 Fax:(512) 838-3625
.ooo0 0ooo. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8333
( ) ( ) mailto:ko...@austin.ibm.com -or- M.K...@frec.bull.fr

Terry Moore

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

In article <34E46FFA...@austin.ibm.com>, Marc Kossa
<ko...@austin.ibm.com> says:

>Someone in austin.gardening identified it, it is a pyracantha:

Somehow, that reminds me of those fierce flesh-eating fish.

Is this tree safe?

Terry at Lake Bastrop

Clayton Colwell

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

:
: ********************************************************************

: Somehow, that reminds me of those fierce flesh-eating fish.

: Is this tree safe?

Not if you run into it. If it's the same plant I'm thinking
of, not only are those thorns *sharp*, but they're *long*, too,
more like hypodermic needles than thorns.

****** Clay Colwell (aka StealthSmurf) ********** er...@bga.com ******
* "In the future, we will recognize software crashes as technologically *
* mandated ergonomic rest breaks - and we will pay extra for them." *
* -- Crazy Uncle Joe Hannibal *

Scott McPhee

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

If animal lovers don't eat animals, should plant lovers not eat plants??! I
am thinking about going on a strictly carnivorous diet.

Scott

Tracey wrote in message <34E393...@swbell.net>...

>Marc Kossa wrote:
>
>> --\ (---) /------------------------------------------------------------
>> \_) (_/ Love animals, don't eat them.

Lars Eighner

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

In our last episode <6c1tbs$qsn$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
the lovely and talented terry...@mail.utexas.edu (Terry Moore)
broadcast on sci.bio.botany,austin.general,austin.gardening:

|In article <34E46FFA...@austin.ibm.com>, Marc Kossa
|<ko...@austin.ibm.com> says:
|
|>Someone in austin.gardening identified it, it is a pyracantha:
|

|********************************************************************
|
|Somehow, that reminds me of those fierce flesh-eating fish.
|
|Is this tree safe?

Hell no. The stickers are treacherous and it will take over the
whole yard if allowed to do so.

--
Lars Eighner 700 Hearn #101 Austin TX 78703 eig...@io.com
(512) 474-1920 (FAX answers 6th ring) http://www.io.com/%7Eeighner.html

Steve Lacker

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Terry Moore wrote:

> In article <34E46FFA...@austin.ibm.com>, Marc Kossa
> <ko...@austin.ibm.com> says:
>
> >Someone in austin.gardening identified it, it is a pyracantha:

> Somehow, that reminds me of those fierce flesh-eating fish.
>
> Is this tree safe?
>
> Terry at Lake Bastrop

The analogy is REALLY good, Terry. Pyracantha thorns are about as
painful as mesquite thorns, and there are a heck of a lot more of them
per cubic inch of tree on a pyracantha than on a mesquite.

Its a well-armed plant, to say the least. Pretty to look at, but
horrible to get tangled up in.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029

Terry Moore

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

In article <34E4CF...@the.sig>, Steve Lacker <lo...@the.sig> says:

>Terry Moore wrote:
>>
>> In article <34E46FFA...@austin.ibm.com>, Marc Kossa
>> <ko...@austin.ibm.com> says:
>>
>> >Someone in austin.gardening identified it, it is a pyracantha:

>> Somehow, that reminds me of those fierce flesh-eating fish.
>>
>> Is this tree safe?
>>
>> Terry at Lake Bastrop

>The analogy is REALLY good, Terry. Pyracantha thorns are about as
>painful as mesquite thorns, and there are a heck of a lot more of them
>per cubic inch of tree on a pyracantha than on a mesquite.
>
>Its a well-armed plant, to say the least. Pretty to look at, but
>horrible to get tangled up in.

Yeah.

Them Piranhas are pretty to look at too - and horrible to
get tangled up with. Their names DO have some similarity.

Cheers.

Terry at Lake Bastrop

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*

Tracey

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

I never pay much attention to the goofy animal rights cry babies, or the
environmentalist whackos.

Clayton Colwell

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Tracey (trac...@swbell.net) wrote:

: I never pay much attention to the goofy animal rights cry babies, or the
: environmentalist whackos.

Hey, wait, I recognize this.

It's some of that non-name-calling intelligent debate stuff, right?

Jane Gallion

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Tracey wrote:

> environmentalist whackos.