North Austin Restaurants?

Steve Wertz

Apr 30, 2001, 5:22:14 PM4/30/01
Brian Anderson wrote:

> What are your favorite restaurants in the north Austin area? Some friends
> and I have been getting together every week for the past few months, and
> we're looking for recommendations for someting new. Most of the time
> we've stayed north of 183/Mopac, but we've also strayed as far south as
> Hoover's on Manor Road. (One of the guys lives way up by Lakeline Mall
> and prefers to stay north.)
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

We usually hold these conversations in austin.food...

Din Ho Cantonese BBQ for really austhentic chinese. I can think
of a dozen others, but I gotta run...

-sw

Robert Hansen

Apr 30, 2001, 6:13:40 PM4/30/01
>Subject: Re: North Austin Restaurants?
>From: Steve Wertz swe...@austin.rr.com
>Date: 4/30/01 4:22 PM Central Daylight Time

Kim Phung. Austin Chronicle voters year after year after year can't be wrong.

Robert

Dusty Rhodes

Apr 30, 2001, 6:23:20 PM4/30/01
"Robert Hansen" <adam...@aol.com> wrote in message

Oh really? You think Thundercloud beats Delaware? Chuey's over Fonda San
Miguel? I like Kim Phung just fine, but from what I've seen, Chron reader
polls are almost never right on anything. The critic polls are usually much
closer to reality.

Cheers,

Dusty

Earl Cooley III

Apr 30, 2001, 6:52:30 PM4/30/01
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:22:14 GMT, Steve Wertz <swe...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.

Here are some of the ones I like:

Suzi's China Grill (7858 Shoal Creek)
Trudy's Northstar (8825 Burnet)
Po-Ke-Joe's BBQ Smokehouse (9828 Great Hills Trail next to the
Macaroni Grill, which I also like)
Buffet Palace (1012 W. Anderson)
Pavarotti's (3300 W. Anderson)
--
\ | Earl Cooley III * sh...@io.com * <url:http://www.io.com/~shiva/>
\| Fandom Association of Central Texas: <url:http://www.fact.org/>

Steve Wertz

Apr 30, 2001, 7:28:20 PM4/30/01
Earl Cooley III wrote:

> Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.

*I* don't care. And I'm even more sure their Asain clientele don't care even more.

Let's see...

Huong Giang (9100 N Lamar)
Tan Tan (Peyton Gin)
Richard Jones BBQ (sometimes)...

Uh..Hmm... I don't eat out as much as I thought I did.

-sw

David Cook

Apr 30, 2001, 9:20:15 PM4/30/01
Tan-Tan
Madras Pavillion
Mother of Pearls
Satay
Stone House Grill
Enchiladas y Mas
--
David "Zeb" Cook
Retro Studios

brooks n. texas

Apr 30, 2001, 9:32:17 PM4/30/01
Manuels on Jollyville
Iron Cactus North
Brick Oven
Trudys

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Apr 30, 2001, 10:15:42 PM4/30/01
quoting Robert Hansen :
> Kim Phung.
> Austin Chronicle voters year after year after year can't be wrong.

laughable! you think because there is a lottery winner every
week it's a "winning proposition" ?!?

you must be a "bubba" troublemaker from down south of the river..
<grin>

--
| .-. | | /"\ ASCII RIBBON |
| /v\ | | \ / CAMPAIGN |

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Apr 30, 2001, 10:34:46 PM4/30/01
>> Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.
> *I* don't care. And I'm sure their Asian clientele care even less..

<chuckle> I'm with Steve there...
some of the finest flavors get there in most unmentionable ways...
<grin>

> Let's see: Huong Giang

you *nearly* convinced me to give them another try... naa !!

> Tan Tan (Peyton Gin)

Tam beats them in any and all departments...

> Richard Jones BBQ (sometimes)...

groan... you like to chew on sugared meat and bones?!?

> Uh..Hmm... I don't eat out as much as I thought I did.

yep, sounds like you are stuck in rut... (I know the feeling :-)

had dinner at Madras Palace (Burnet and Research). first time I
like a vegetarian Indian restaurant without reservations...

Sea Dragon and Twin Dragon are still making the same fine dishes
I've appreciated 10+ years ago (I don't touch their Chinese menu,
though I understand it is respectable enough).

Sunday night, the dancer at Ararat was de-li-cious !!!
(the food looked as good as always, but I had eaten at friends'
earlier and took the leftover strawberry shortcake there for
the regulars and staff... if you can't eat at your favorite
restaurant, feed the staff !! it doesn't quite work as well as
"if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with"
-- but I'm working on it... .;-)

p.s. haven't seen it mentioned here lately (if at all), but the ready-to-go
prepared food at Whole Foods has never disappointed me -- though I
don't eat it very often... it's quality food, though not cheap (for
take-out); as much as Central Market may have tried, they can't
touch Whole Foods in this department, I think...

RSMcC III

Apr 30, 2001, 10:48:29 PM4/30/01
<wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> quoting Robert Hansen :
> > Kim Phung.
> > Austin Chronicle voters year after year after year can't be wrong.
>

> laughable! you think because there is a lottery winner every
> week it's a "winning proposition" ?!?
>
> you must be a "bubba" troublemaker from down south of the river..
> <grin>

And you must be a crass effete snob? I have always preferred the area south
of the river personally and the NEW people from up north torque me off,
where were you 20 years ago? Hell back then you could go north i.e. Highland
mall area (there was almost NADA else up there then and North Cross was
still on the drawing board) and they didn't know there was an Air Force Base
in Austin. Riverside was a 2 sleepy lane road and Austin was a small town
with a big college.

Sluggo the Crusher

Apr 30, 2001, 11:26:12 PM4/30/01
Robert Hansen wrote:

> Kim Phung. Austin Chronicle voters year after year after year can't be wrong.

Sure they can. I like Kim Phung, but I think the broth at Pho Cong Ly is a
bit better.

The merits of Kim Phung's food far outweigh the credit given by the all-holy
Chronicle. More folks should take chances and just walk into a place to try
something new instead of waiting until the Chron gives its seal of approval.

*slug*

Sluggo the Crusher

Apr 30, 2001, 11:36:41 PM4/30/01
Earl Cooley III wrote:

> Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.

Do you know what really goes into health inspections and the reasons why
alot of trusted favorites fail their inspections? A restaurant can fail if
their rinse water doesn't contain enough chlorine, or if a bucket of pickles
is found sitting in the walk-in without a lid. I could care less about
little namby-pamby gliches like that.

I kinda resent the local TV station which produces the muck-raking reports
of restaurants failing inspections for creating the Howard Hughes-esque
cleanliness hysteria people seem to be plagued with in the last couple of
years...

Waiter, I'll have some more white bread with my anal retentive cleanliness
obsession, please.

*slug*

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

May 1, 2001, 12:21:53 AM5/1/01
quoting "RSMcC III" <dunv...@swbell.net> :
>>> Kim Phung. Austin Chronicle voters...can't be wrong.
>> laughable! do you also think that because there is a lottery winner
>> every week it's a "winning proposition" ?!? [then] you must be a "bubba"
>> troublemaker from down south of the river... <grin>

> And you must be a crass effete snob? I have always preferred the area south
> of the river personally and the NEW people from up north torque me off...

oh dear, I caught me a live one... <chuckle>

and now, you humour-lacking lost soul, you are trying to pick a fight?!?
and with whom...? moi ?!? Get outta here, you slay me, son...:->

> where were you 20 years ago?

just bought a house on the northern fringes right about then, just in
time to get hit by the Memorial Day flood. Think I should have stayed
south of the river... probably... :-)

> Hell back then you could go north i.e. Highland mall area (there was almost

> NADA else up there then and North Cross was still on the drawing board)...

no, wanna-be grandpa, Northcross Mall already had been a nuisance I'd
loved to avoid for years then... Makes me wonder if you are just an
inattentive reader of Statesman articles about local history and trivia
or if you in fact have standing to have this conversation with me...
<grin>

believe it or not, some of us actually remember the scene it appears
you have read about somewhere... (was it in the Austin Chronicle or
the Austin Spaceman you come acros this bit of mistaken trivia? :-)

claiming Alzheimer's would be o.k.... but if you ARE a "bubba"...
it wouldn't work, it's not Alzheimer's in that case... <grin>

>...and they didn't know there was an Air Force Base in Austin. Riverside

> was a 2 sleepy lane road and Austin was a small town with a big college.

...were some people worked already while you weren't anywhere near
here, it seems. Some people not only "know about" Soup Creek
Saloon and The Armadillo, there are actually some left who've been
there, both opening and closing nights...

now go study up on smilies and learn to respect your elders, wannabe
cowboy... and come up north sometimes, we have the better Vietnamese
restaurants, you've got Hunan Lyon and the IRS... <smirk>

Texensis

May 1, 2001, 6:04:38 AM5/1/01

"Sluggo the Crusher" <slu...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

There isn't any food-service establishment that would delight the eye and
nose of the over-finicky. A look behind the scenes is not for the squeamish.
All the fusspots out there who regard the inspections as gospel should just
stay home and eat in their own kitchens, the true cesspools of bad practice
and fonts of food poisoning.

Lance Hartmann

May 1, 2001, 10:23:08 AM5/1/01
In article <B7139AA4.1E151%slu...@austin.rr.com>,

For the most part, I wholeheartedly concur. It seems (to me) that
the majority of the "violations" are for things like Sluggo described
above. However, I must confess I did pause when I watched last
week's "KXAN's Food for Thought" where they relayed that one restaurant
had been cited for "thawing meat in a garbage can." How the inspector(s)
knew it was there just for "thawing" as opposed to having been discarded
remains a curiosity in my mind. Nonetheless, the crazy thing is that
that restaurant received a "failing grade" which was just at or near
another establishment's grade that had just a couple of those minor
(IMHO) offenses (or at least those that KXAN reported).

--
Lance Hartmann (la...@jump.net)

Steve Wertz

May 1, 2001, 11:30:20 AM5/1/01
Sluggo the Crusher wrote:

> Earl Cooley III wrote:
>
> > Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.
>
> Do you know what really goes into health inspections and the reasons why
> alot of trusted favorites fail their inspections? A restaurant can fail if
> their rinse water doesn't contain enough chlorine, or if a bucket of pickles
> is found sitting in the walk-in without a lid. I could care less about
> little namby-pamby gliches like that.

I'm almost positive it was worse than that ;-)

-sw

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

May 1, 2001, 12:32:51 PM5/1/01
>>> Din Ho was busted for health violations fairly recently.
>> I could care less about little namby-pamby gliches like that.
> I'm almost positive it was worse than that ;-)

so is it really true, that they caught you taste-testing
different dishes, licking fingers in between..
:-)

RSMcC III

May 1, 2001, 1:58:46 PM5/1/01
> > where were you 20 years ago?

OK, I just threw 20 years out the actual number is 23 now. I was stationed
to Bergstrom in 78.

Nope I am not now nor ever was a BUBBA, I have always lived south but not
redneck nor hick am I. The IQ or cultural familiarity of people does not
drop on the other side of the Colorado.

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

May 1, 2001, 4:39:19 PM5/1/01

glad we are in agreement there...

and on this note, we can end this little chat, I hope... :-))

keep your eyes peeled for smileys and old(er) net-curmudgeons
(older than you), they tend to pop up out of the woodworks at the
most inconvenient moments... :-)

(na, I wasn't REALLY worried that you had me beat, back then one
nearly knew everyone in town, and I was sure we hadn't met.. <grin>)

Onward Through The Fog (and Kitchen Haze)

D. Cook

May 2, 2001, 4:02:27 PM5/2/01
Jonathan Royer wrote:

> I hate people. He asked for "your favorite restaurants" and he gets
> "what's your criteria?" Why don't you just tell him "your favorite
> restaurants".
>
> I like Trudy's on Burnet, but of course its South of 183/Mopac. I used
> to go to La Carera (sp?) off of 183/Spicewood, but I haven't been in a
> while.
>
> Jonathan

Not entirely related, but Jonathan's name always reminds me of Royer's
Round Top Cafe, in Round Top between Giddings and Brenham. They're a
tiny little restaurant with fabulous food, and I highly recommend
stopping there if you're in the area. Heck, it's almost worth the trip
just for itself. The grilled pork tenderloin is really tasty.

They have a web page at http://www.royersroundtopcafe.com .

Followups to austin.food.

RSMcC III

May 3, 2001, 1:06:31 AM5/3/01
<wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote in message

You musta never hung out on the Base or in Del Valle back then. It bummed
me out to see they changed the name of my old street.

wer...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

May 3, 2001, 5:45:20 PM5/3/01
> You musta never hung out on the Base or in Del Valle back then.

can't say that I did, no. had a job at UT in the early 70s
and had (previously already) denounced all affiliations with
the military (while the war was still on in 'nam)...
(I take it you were lucky and too young to face that dilemma!)

> It bummed me out to see they changed the name of my old street.

I know what you mean, it's as if they are stealing a kid's
candy when they do that...

Manzoorul Hassan

May 10, 2001, 11:24:18 AM5/10/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001, David Cook wrote:

> Tan-Tan
> Madras Pavillion
> Mother of Pearls
> Satay
> Stone House Grill
> Enchiladas y Mas
> --

I also like,
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Bahama Breeze
Jason's Deli
Texas Land & Cattle
Korea House
Pacific Star Seafood
Dan McKlusky's
P.F.Chang's (but the wait is way too long)
Fudruckers
Kirbey Lane

---Manzoor------manzoor@intRnauts.com------http://www.intRnauts.com/hassan/---

Hard work has future payoff. Laziness pays off now.

RSMcC III

May 10, 2001, 1:46:39 PM5/10/01
"Manzoorul Hassan" <man...@intRnauts.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 1 May 2001, David Cook wrote:
>
> > Tan-Tan
> > Madras Pavillion
> > Mother of Pearls
> > Satay
> > Stone House Grill
> > Enchiladas y Mas
> > --
>
> I also like,
> Romano's Macaroni Grill
> Bahama Breeze
> Jason's Deli
> Texas Land & Cattle
> Korea House
> Pacific Star Seafood
> Dan McKlusky's
> P.F.Chang's (but the wait is way too long)
> Fudruckers
> Kirbey Lane

The Kirby Lane on South Lamar is MUCH better than the one on 183. I have
been to both and I have no plans to go back to the one on 183, food wasn't
as good nor the service (I'm still waiting on my iced tea.) One day I'll
get to the original one to check it out.