Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Vegetarian Restaurants

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Jennifer Therisod

unread,
Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
to
There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
Veggie Heaven).
I'd love to hear of more.


Thanks,

Jennifer


jim andrews

unread,
Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
to
In article <38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu>,
Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu says...

> There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
> Veggie Heaven).
> I'd love to hear of more.


West Lynn Cafe

jim andrews

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
to
In article <38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu>,

Jennifer Therisod <Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
>Veggie Heaven).
>I'd love to hear of more.

Well, the obvious one is West Lynn Cafe.

1110 West Lynn. "Where?" you say? You basically want to take either
11th or 15th from Lamar west (or 15th east from Mopac) to West Lynn,
which is parallel to Mopac and Lamar and between the two.

They are a little more upscale than Mother's or Veggie heaven, and a
teency bit more expensive too, but still definitely reasonable. (All
entrees are either about $7 or about $9.)

The atmosphere is nice. It's somewhere on the border of being casual
and not. (It's definitely not earthy like Mother's.) The building is
actually a converted gas station, but you have to really think about it
before you notice, because the transformation is complete. And the
ceiling is cool. In fact, the whold building is cool, but the ceiling
is my favorite part. :-)

The items on the menu are basically all either salads, pasta entrees,
southwestern entrees, smoothies, drinks (including wine), or desserts.
Everything I've had has been good. The one that really stands out in
my mind is the Enchiladas in Pumpkinseed-Adobo Sauce, but then I'm more
likely to order something akin to Mexican than I am to order pasta.

All in all, a good restaurant. There are plenty of people who feel
West Lynn beats Mother's for the title of best Austin vegetarian
restaurant, but then there are plenty of people who feel the other
way. The point (did I have a point? really?) is that it's in the
running.

Of course, there are other vegetarian restaurants and a number of
vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Austin too. I can't think of
any right now though.

- Logan

Norman Richards

unread,
Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
to
On 7 Apr 2000 16:07:23 -0500, Logan Shaw <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> All in all, a good restaurant. There are plenty of people who feel
> West Lynn beats Mother's for the title of best Austin vegetarian
> restaurant, but then there are plenty of people who feel the other
> way. The point (did I have a point? really?) is that it's in the
> running.


If I were voting, Veggie Heaven would be the winner. The food beats
both Mother's and West Lynn by a mile. As for West Lynn vs. Mother's,
my preference is Mother's. The food is almost identical between the
two, but I like the atmosphere of Mother's better.

Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
"Logan Shaw" <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:8climb$6kf$1...@provolone.cs.utexas.edu...

> In article <38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu>,
> Jennifer Therisod <Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
> >Veggie Heaven).
> >I'd love to hear of more.
>
> Well, the obvious one is West Lynn Cafe.

And it falls outside the mold of a vegetarian restaurant that must be
downscale and overly funky. A nice atmosphere for a special occasion,
with prices that invite frequent visits.

Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO, vegetarian
restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores who
want to dine with vegetarians.

--
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com>


jim andrews

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Albert Nurick wrote:

> Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO,
> vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes
> for carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.


That's kinda like saying a Kosher restaurant should
serve pork for the Gentiles.

jim andrews

Dusty Rhodes

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:V6JH4.1264$Nm2....@news.swbell.net...

> "Logan Shaw" <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:8climb$6kf$1...@provolone.cs.utexas.edu...
> > In article <38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu>,
> > Jennifer Therisod <Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > >There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's
and
> > >Veggie Heaven).
> > >I'd love to hear of more.
> >
> > Well, the obvious one is West Lynn Cafe.
>
> And it falls outside the mold of a vegetarian restaurant that must be
> downscale and overly funky.

Boy, that's a relief, what, with all the stories lately about how
dangerous mold can be.

Cheers,

Dusty

the_austin_cars

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Albert Nurick wrote:
>
> Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO, vegetarian
> restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores who
> want to dine with vegetarians.


Or perhaps the carnivores could just dine on the vegetarians? Afterall,
meat is meat. Personally, I rather not have the smell of death in a
place I go to eat, especially when it proclaims to be for vegetarians.
You have to keep in mind that to many vegetarians, not having meat
around is a matter of principle.

* Austin Cars *

DLS

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to

Albert Nurick wrote in message ...

>Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO,
vegetarian
>restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores
who
>want to dine with vegetarians.

"Austin Cars" has a point, though. If you're going to bill yourself
as vegetarian you should probably stick to a meatless menu. For one
thing, the smell of meat cooking is kind of disgusting to someone
who's been veggie for a while. And some veggie-folks are, as he says,
very concerned that there were no meat, egg, or butter molecules on
the pan their eggplant has been fried in. I think that's taking it a
bit too far, but after all there are a lot of other places you can go
that serve both .

Lynn

----
reply to: lynns*at*jump*ucedot*net - minus the uce

Dusty Rhodes

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
the_austin_cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:38EFA2...@yahoo.com...

> Albert Nurick wrote:
> >
> > Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO,
vegetarian
> > restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores
who
> > want to dine with vegetarians.
>
>
> Or perhaps the carnivores could just dine on the vegetarians?
Afterall,
> meat is meat. Personally, I rather not have the smell of death in a
> place I go to eat, especially when it proclaims to be for vegetarians.
> You have to keep in mind that to many vegetarians, not having meat
> around is a matter of principle.

Ah. Now I understand why you like Thundercloud so much. You simply know
no better.

Vegetarians wouldn't know a good sub if it jumped up and bit them on the
ass. Sorry, but it's true. A sub is built with MEAT! The rabbit food is
just garnish.

A vegetarian commenting on subs? What's your favorite hot dog? Barbecue?
Steak? Your opinion on any of these would be just as universal.

Cheers,

Dusty

The Austin Cars

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Dusty Rhodes wrote:
>
> A vegetarian commenting on subs? What's your favorite hot dog? Barbecue?
> Steak? Your opinion on any of these would be just as universal.


I don't get involve with animal murder. Personally, I feel people who
like meat should eat people. Meat is meat, murder is murder. What's
the diff? Why waste your best friend by putting him six feet under? He
probably tastes like chicken. Yum (cluck cluck cluck)

Take care, Dusty.

DLS

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Oh boy... a flamewar... who's bringing the marshmallows...

Werner

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Albert wrote:
|> Well, the obvious one is West Lynn Cafe.

Little Bombay on 94xx N. Lamar (search the DEJA-archives for "Bombay"
only to find reviews)

| nice atmosphere for a special occasion, with inviting prices...


| Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place.

my thoughts exactly...

| IMO, vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for
| carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.

<chuckle> it doesn't quite work that way, though.
there's a conflict a bit similar as between smokers and non-smokers....

JCS

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:V6JH4.1264$Nm2....@news.swbell.net...
> "Logan Shaw" <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:8climb$6kf$1...@provolone.cs.utexas.edu...
> > In article <38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu>,
> > Jennifer Therisod <Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > >There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
> > >Veggie Heaven).
> > >I'd love to hear of more.
> >
> > Well, the obvious one is West Lynn Cafe.
>
> And it falls outside the mold of a vegetarian restaurant that must be
> downscale and overly funky. A nice atmosphere for a special occasion,
> with prices that invite frequent visits.
>
> Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO, vegetarian

> restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores who
> want to dine with vegetarians.

If West Lynn's personnel are like most strict vegetarians, they'd have to
have completely separate pans, dishes, utensils and refrigeration for meat.
Not to mention a (probably new) chef willing to cook meat, waitstaff willing
to serve it, clean up people willing to dispose of it, and a customer base
willing to stomach the smell (which many vegetarians find absolutely
revolting.) My guess is that customers and employees alike would leave in
droves at the sight and smell of charred animal flesh in an erstwhile
vegetarian restaurant.
--
jan

Joseph Crowe

unread,
Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
to

jim andrews wrote:

>
> That's kinda like saying a Kosher restaurant should
> serve pork for the Gentiles.
>

Ah, the Jewish dilemma.... Free Pork....

>
> jim andrews


Dusty Rhodes

unread,
Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
to
The Austin Cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:38EFB6...@yahoo.com...

I respect your choice. I don't agree, but I respect your choice. I am
simply pointing out that it effectively invalidates any opinion you may
have about subs.

Cheeers,

Dusty

Dave Clark

unread,
Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
to
The Austin Cars wrote:
>
> Dusty Rhodes wrote:
> >
> > A vegetarian commenting on subs? What's your favorite hot dog?
> > Barbecue? Steak? Your opinion on any of these would be just as
> > universal.
>
> I don't get involve with animal murder. Personally, I feel people
> who like meat should eat people. Meat is meat, murder is murder.
> What's the diff? Why waste your best friend by putting him six
> feet under? He probably tastes like chicken. Yum (cluck cluck
> cluck)

Nah, most people have too much fat, not really well marbled, it'd be
a hellacious grease fire in the smoker. I'll stick to the pork ribs,
chicken wings, and beef brisket, but thanks for the suggestion...

--
Dave Clark Austin, Texas
http://www.jump.net/~davec N 30d 27.526m
mailto:da...@jump.net W 97d 48.826m
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety - Homer Simpson

Norman Richards

unread,
Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
to
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:26:25 -0500, Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:
> [...] IMO, vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of

> with-meat dishes for carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.

I think Italian restaurant should offer a few indian dishes for
indian food lovers who want to dine with people eating Italian food.

___________________________________________________________________________
o...@cs.utexas.edu soli deo gloria


Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
to
In article <8con40$3db$1...@news.jump.net>, JCS <tee...@jump.net> wrote:
>If West Lynn's personnel are like most strict vegetarians, they'd have to
>have completely separate pans, dishes, utensils and refrigeration for meat.

Which reminds me about something I've always wondered: if some
vegetarians aren't willing or interested in eating at restaurants that
serve any meat at all, then shouldn't some vegans be opposed to eating
at vegetarian restaurants that serve dairy products or eggs?

I mean, presumably some vegans are avoiding all animal-related products
for moral reasons; how then can they be willing to eat at a place where
animal-related products are served?

I suppose the answer is that vegan-only restaurants are few and far
between, so it's a practical concession. But it always has seemed
weird to me.

Since we're already on the subject of places that cater to people with
multiple different diet preferences, what about restaurants that aren't
vegetarian but are explicitly vegetarian-friendly? By that, I mean
restaurants that serve meat, but also have a sizeable portion of the
menu that a vegetarian might want to eat and have this marked clearly
on their menu.

Some examples off the top of my head are Trudy's and Magnolia Cafe,
though those many not be the best examples since I'm not sure how many
vegetarian-friendly items they have.

- Logan

Werner

unread,
Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
to
|> vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of meat dishes ...
| I think Italian restaurant should offer a few Indian dishes...

<chuckle> I think all restaurants should have to offer at least one diet drink!

ym

unread,
Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
to Jennifer Therisod
Jennifer Therisod wrote:

> There must be a number in Austin, but I've only been to 2 (Mother's and
> Veggie Heaven).
> I'd love to hear of more.
>

> Thanks,
> Jennifer

these links might help:

http://www.vegnetaustin.org/
http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/

good luck!
YeeMan
:: remove XX in email to reply

--
"I've slept with women, but I don't think I'm gay or straight. I think I'm
just slutty." --the gorgeous Margaret Cho


Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
to
In article <werner-1004...@dial-105-34.ots.utexas.edu>,

Seriously, I would spend about $1 more per meal at most restaurants if
they had caffeine-free Dr. Pepper. I don't drink caffeine, and this
severely limits my choices. I end up ordering water most of the time
instead of something with the high mark-up most places charge for soft
drinks.

It wouldn't even have to be on tap; it would be fine with me if it came
from a 3-liter (I don't have to know), as long as said 3-liter hadn't
been sitting around for too long.

Yeah, I know I can drink Sprite, or I can have hot tea at lots of
places (since half the varieties of hot tea don't have caffeine). I
like Sprite, but I do get tired of it, and basically I don't like hot
beverages at all. (I mean, this is Texas, a state where it's hot lots
of the time, and most beverages are mostly water, and water has a very
high specific heat. So it only makes thermodynamic sense to drink cold
beverages.)

- Logan

Ben Combee

unread,
Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
to
I've got some reviews online at http://vegOutAustin.editThisPage.com I
really need to update this soon, but I've been very busy. I've been mainly
focusing on non-vegetarian places that have good veggie items, but you
should be able to get some ideas.

"Jennifer Therisod" <Jennifer...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:38EE3DC4...@mail.utexas.edu...

Werner

unread,
Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
to
Logan Shaw wrote:
| I would spend about $1 more per meal at most restaurants if they had
| caffeine-free Dr. Pepper...

and I don't understand what's so hard about making peppermint+hibiscus
sun tea by the bucket (and buckets of money in the process)...
I'll drink water with a slice of lemon every time before I'd touch what's
commonly sold as ice tea... (and refuse to touch carbonated sugar water)

10 days ago, I took visitors to Shades on Friday evening and we ordered
hot coffee (it was rather cool) and their Nachos Supreme to get a quick
start. What arrived was $1.50 dish-water in a foam cup and nachos that
were anything but "supreme" -- we all agreed it was fit only for fishes
(they got most of my dish-water/coffee, too). I made a remark about the
coffee and was immediately offered a fresh double-the-coffee pot (they
said, and I believed), but it was something like Folgers, or worse, so
what's the point... :-(

sadly, both Shades and Iguana Grill seem to be going down the rip-off
route of The Oasis -- so, in the future, I'll drink a (bottle of) beer
but eat somewhere else.

Ray Shea

unread,
Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
to
Logan Shaw wrote:
> Seriously, I would spend about $1 more per meal at most restaurants if
> they had caffeine-free Dr. Pepper. I don't drink caffeine, and this
> severely limits my choices. I end up ordering water most of the time
> instead of something with the high mark-up most places charge for soft
> drinks.


Root beer tends to be caffeine-free, and it tickles the same
funny bones as Dr. Pepper & Coke in a way that Sprite doesn't
(like, it goes real good with popcorn for instance).

--
Ray Shea -- Austin, TX
=====================================================================
"I think 49 Guinnesses is piggish." -- dylan thomas

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
to
In article <38F3AF34...@jump.net>, Ray Shea <sh...@jump.net> wrote:
>Logan Shaw wrote:
>> Seriously, I would spend about $1 more per meal at most restaurants if
>> they had caffeine-free Dr. Pepper. I don't drink caffeine, and this
>> severely limits my choices. I end up ordering water most of the time
>> instead of something with the high mark-up most places charge for soft
>> drinks.
>
>
>Root beer tends to be caffeine-free, and it tickles the same
>funny bones as Dr. Pepper & Coke in a way that Sprite doesn't
>(like, it goes real good with popcorn for instance).

Root beer is caffeine free naturally, but some brands, like Barq's and
Mug, add caffeine "for flavor" or for some other reason (maybe because
people expect brownish carbonated liquids to have it or something?).

Unfortunatley, it seems that lots of the time, waiters and waitresses
don't know whether the root beer their restaurant serves is caffeinated,
so I ask, but probably something like 75% of the time, it turns out it
is caffeinated.

But yeah, sometimes it's an option, and when it is, I often take
advantage of it.

- Logan

kate

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Whoa, Mug has caffeine??? Are you sure? These are important things a mom
needs to know. I thought that Barq's was the only caffeinated RB out there
in the local fountains (and in just about every tap in just about every
restaurant that serves to kids, dammit).

But the real reason for this post is to yammer about the YUMmy Root Beer
at Culver's. Oooooohhhhh. Culllllllverrrrrrr's. Please don't say it's
caffeinated.

Aside from Culver's, the best "on-draught" sodas in the area (IMHO) are
the ones maintained by RC. Usually those have 7-Up (far superior to yucky
syrupy Sprite) and Dad's (caffeine-free, I believe...) Root Beer. I think
that Aljon's still gets its service from RC, <?> but I could be wrong.
Arby's is another, but the other (locally owned) outlets escape me.

cheers <clink!>
kate

--
W.W.X.D.???

Scott Sexton

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
If you want good root beer, The Texicalli Grille down on Oltorf makes
their own. Joe Bob say's check it out!

PS The Queso Fries are GREAT hangover cures!

--
**********************************************
Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party www.sexton.com/eeyores
CDR Listing www.sexton.com/cdr

Highlander

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <xmess-12040...@ip54.auschron.com>, xm...@auschron.com
(kate) wrote:

> Whoa, Mug has caffeine??? Are you sure? These are important things a mom
> needs to know. I thought that Barq's was the only caffeinated RB out there
> in the local fountains (and in just about every tap in just about every
> restaurant that serves to kids, dammit).

I dont think Mug has caffeine. I remember thinking it was strange they
had the slogan "The foam goes straight to your brain", yet had no caffeine
(which I assumed this was a reference to).

> Aside from Culver's, the best "on-draught" sodas in the area (IMHO) are
> the ones maintained by RC. Usually those have 7-Up (far superior to yucky
> syrupy Sprite) and Dad's (caffeine-free, I believe...) Root Beer. I think
> that Aljon's still gets its service from RC, <?> but I could be wrong.
> Arby's is another, but the other (locally owned) outlets escape me.


Who has RC besides Arby's?


James

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <+++jvpaniagua-12...@dhcp-74-96.edb.utexas.edu>,

Highlander <+++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
>In article <xmess-12040...@ip54.auschron.com>, xm...@auschron.com
>(kate) wrote:
>
>> Whoa, Mug has caffeine??? Are you sure?
>
>I dont think Mug has caffeine. I remember thinking it was strange they
>had the slogan "The foam goes straight to your brain", yet had no caffeine
>(which I assumed this was a reference to).

Looks like I'm wrong. I went to www.pepsi.com and searched and found
out that it has a "great root beer taste that can't be beat, with no
caffeine".

I guess I must've assumed Mug would be caffeinated since it's made by
PepsiCo and they're somewhat evil.

Sorry for the misinformation...

- Logan

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
>> Aside from Culver's, the best "on-draught" sodas in the area (IMHO) are
>> the ones maintained by RC. Usually those have 7-Up (far superior to yucky
>> syrupy Sprite) and Dad's (caffeine-free, I believe...) Root Beer. I think
>> that Aljon's still gets its service from RC, <?> but I could be wrong.
>> Arby's is another, but the other (locally owned) outlets escape me.
>
>Who has RC besides Arby's?

Does Whataburger? I know that some locations have lots and lots of
things on tap, like maybe 15 different things. One of the options is
IBC Root Beer, and it's the same price as all the other soft drinks.

Of course, not all locations are the same. I'm thinking of the
location on Anderson Ln., just east of Shoal Creek.

- Logan

Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
jim andrews <jand...@activepower.com> wrote in message
news:38EF666D...@activepower.com...

> Albert Nurick wrote:
>
> > Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO,
> > vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes

> > for carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.
>
> That's kinda like saying a Kosher restaurant should
> serve pork for the Gentiles.

Not really. If you have pork in the kitchen, you're not Kosher anymore. I
do
not recall similar dietary laws for vegetarian dishes. Heck, lots of
restaurants
offer a few vegetarian items amongst the omnivorous cusine.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
the_austin_cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:38EFA2...@yahoo.com...

> Albert Nurick wrote:
> >
> > Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO, vegetarian
> > restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores who
> > want to dine with vegetarians.

> Personally, I rather not have the smell of death in a


> place I go to eat, especially when it proclaims to be for vegetarians.

"Smell of death"? Sounds like a violation of health codes. Either that,
or you're making a political statement.

> You have to keep in mind that to many vegetarians, not having meat
> around is a matter of principle.

Ah. It seems that my second alternative was the correct one.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
The Austin Cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:38EFB6...@yahoo.com...

> Dusty Rhodes wrote:
> >
> > A vegetarian commenting on subs? What's your favorite hot dog? Barbecue?
> > Steak? Your opinion on any of these would be just as universal.
>
>
> I don't get involve with animal murder. Personally, I feel people who
> like meat should eat people. Meat is meat, murder is murder. What's
> the diff? Why waste your best friend by putting him six feet under? He
> probably tastes like chicken. Yum (cluck cluck cluck)

Sure, but you gleefully participate in the wholesale slaughter of plants,
you even
name your movement after the innocent vegetables that you murder and
consume.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
JCS <tee...@jump.net> wrote in message news:8con40$3db$1...@news.jump.net...

> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
> news:V6JH4.1264$Nm2....@news.swbell.net...
> > Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO, vegetarian
> > restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat dishes for carnivores who
> > want to dine with vegetarians.
>
> If West Lynn's personnel are like most strict vegetarians, they'd have to
> have completely separate pans, dishes, utensils and refrigeration for
meat.
> Not to mention a (probably new) chef willing to cook meat, waitstaff
willing
> to serve it, clean up people willing to dispose of it, and a customer base
> willing to stomach the smell (which many vegetarians find absolutely
> revolting.) My guess is that customers and employees alike would leave in
> droves at the sight and smell of charred animal flesh in an erstwhile
> vegetarian restaurant.

<chuckle> I guess that religion is religion, even when it's secular. I
went into West Lynn a few years ago, and wasn't aware that it was a
vegetarian place. I asked about meat, and got a huge load of attitude
from the waiter.

Thanks, but no thanks. Religious zealots tend to be jerks, regardless of
what their religion may be.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Norman Richards <o...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:slrn8f4ph...@technophilus.dhs.org...

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:26:25 -0500, Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com>
wrote:
> > [...] IMO, vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of

> > with-meat dishes for carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.
>
> I think Italian restaurant should offer a few indian dishes for
> indian food lovers who want to dine with people eating Italian food.

Many ethnic restaurants offer a few generic choices for this sort of
situation (i.e. burgers). The choices tend to be bland but those that will
appeal to a wide variety of patrons (thus not Indian.)

But as Jan pointed out, it's more like a religion than a choice, thus the
zealotry amongs some vegetarians.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Dusty Rhodes

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:FS6J4.4106$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net...

I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
living things.

Choosing to be a vegetarian, OTOH, for health reasons makes perfect
sense to me. I don't agree, but at least it's not transparently
disingenuous and hypocritical.

Cheers,

Dusty

Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Dusty Rhodes <te...@REMOVETHIStexas.net> wrote in
message news:0e7J4.84802$17.18...@news4.giganews.com...

> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
> news:FS6J4.4106$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net...
> > Sure, but you gleefully participate in the wholesale slaughter of
> > plants, you even
> > name your movement after the innocent vegetables that you murder and
> > consume.
>
> I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
> about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
> stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
> living things.

Yep. Plants just don't have faces, I guess. IMO, it's the typical kind of
incomplete analysis that leads to a great deal of the misguided activism
that
we observe in our society... as bad as the "feel good" politics that these
same folks often complain about.

> Choosing to be a vegetarian, OTOH, for health reasons makes perfect
> sense to me. I don't agree, but at least it's not transparently
> disingenuous and hypocritical.

Agreed.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


JCS

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to

Dusty Rhodes <te...@REMOVETHIStexas.net> wrote in message
news:0e7J4.84802$17.18...@news4.giganews.com...
> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
> news:FS6J4.4106$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net...
> > The Austin Cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:38EFB6...@yahoo.com...
> > > Dusty Rhodes wrote:
> > > >
> > > > A vegetarian commenting on subs? What's your favorite hot dog?
> Barbecue?
> > > > Steak? Your opinion on any of these would be just as universal.
> > >
> > >
> > > I don't get involve with animal murder. Personally, I feel people
> who
> > > like meat should eat people. Meat is meat, murder is murder.
> What's
> > > the diff? Why waste your best friend by putting him six feet under?
> He
> > > probably tastes like chicken. Yum (cluck cluck cluck)
> >
> > Sure, but you gleefully participate in the wholesale slaughter of
> plants,
> > you even
> > name your movement after the innocent vegetables that you murder and
> > consume.
>
> I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
> about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
> stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
> living things.

Well, one huge difference is that many, if not most, plant foods evolved
specifically to attract a hungry herbivore as a means of seed dispersal...
fruits, seeds, nuts, grains. Can't think of any similar adaptations in the
animal world.

Reminds of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and the animal that was
bred to want to be eaten, and was, according to Doug Adams, "capable of
saying so clearly and distinctly."

"Bahahahaaaaa.... sir, can I interest you in parts of my body?"
--
jan


JCS

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:%V6J4.4109$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net...

> JCS <tee...@jump.net> wrote in message news:8con40$3db$1...@news.jump.net...
> > Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
> > news:V6JH4.1264$Nm2....@news.swbell.net...
> > > Heck, if they served meat, I might frequent the place. IMO,

> > > vegetarian restaurants should offer a couple of with-meat
> > > dishes for carnivores who want to dine with vegetarians.
> >
> > If West Lynn's personnel are like most strict vegetarians, they'd have
> > to have completely separate pans, dishes, utensils and refrigeration
> > for meat. Not to mention a (probably new) chef willing to cook
> > meat, waitstaff willing to serve it, clean up people willing to dispose
> > of it, and a customer base willing to stomach the smell (which many
> > vegetarians find absolutely revolting.) My guess is that customers
> > and employees alike would leave in droves at the sight and smell of
> > charred animal flesh in an erstwhile vegetarian restaurant.
>
> <chuckle> I guess that religion is religion, even when it's secular. I
> went into West Lynn a few years ago, and wasn't aware that it was a
> vegetarian place. I asked about meat, and got a huge load of attitude
> from the waiter.

I do fail to understand why vegetarians get the grief they do. Sure,
evidence suggests that humans are basically omnivores, meaning we've evolved
to eat anything we can capture and hold down. But by comparison to the
bizarre meat-and-oil centered diet most Westerners are raised to,
vegetarianism is an adaptive norm.

> Thanks, but no thanks. Religious zealots tend to be jerks, regardless of
> what their religion may be.

You said something about "a huge load of attitude"... ?
--
jan

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <oR6J4.4105$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net>,
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:
>the_austin_cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:38EFA2...@yahoo.com...

>> Personally, I rather not have the smell of death in a
>> place I go to eat, especially when it proclaims to be for vegetarians.
>
>"Smell of death"? Sounds like a violation of health codes. Either that,
>or you're making a political statement.

Is it possible for you to believe that they just don't like the smell
of meat? Or do they have to have the same preferences as you?

As a kid, my parents had to coerce me to eat my vegetables, because I
didn't like them. My sister was the other way around. She ate all her
vegetables (and fruits) without any convincing, but she ate her meat
only because our parents made her.

Gradually, as she got older, she found herself eating just chicken and
fish, because she preferred them to red meat. Eventually, that trailed
off too. I talked to her one time about it, and she said that on a few
occasions she tried eating meat, but found she liked it even less
because she hadn't had any of it in a while and was thus not acclimated
to it.

So, today she's a vegetarian. Not for moral or health reasons, but
because she doesn't like meat. And guess what: she finds the smell of
it distasteful. In fact, she was chosen for a focus group when they
were building Central Market and she suggested they lay it out so that
nobody had to go through the meat section if they didn't want to,
because of the smell.

So, if I were a vegetarian and I went to a vegetarian restaurant, one
of the attractions would be that I wouldn't have to smell meat.

It would be a lot like if there were restaurants that sold food that
was entirely free of celery, lima beans, and squash. I pretty much
hate those foods enough that a guarantee that I wouldn't even have to
smell them would be worth something to me.

Now, if you add in the moral dimension, the smell of meat becomes (for
some people) objectionable for two independent reasons. Since
vegetarian restaurants are there to serve people who find it
objectionable, it only makes sense for them to cater to what those
people want.

- Logan

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <%V6J4.4109$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net>,

Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:
><chuckle> I guess that religion is religion, even when it's secular. I
>went into West Lynn a few years ago, and wasn't aware that it was a
>vegetarian place. I asked about meat, and got a huge load of attitude
>from the waiter.

Ask any vegetarian if they've even gotten a negative response from a
waiter or waitress when they tried to order stuff *without* meat at a
restaurant that serves meat. No, they usually don't get a moral
tirade, but sometimes the waiter/waitress (or cook) is unwilling to be
accomodating, and sometimes they get looked down upon or laughed at.

So what's the difference between the "anyone who eats meat is a
murderer" and "anyone who doesn't eat meat is stupid and they should
just be normal like me" attitude?

- Logan

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <0e7J4.84802$17.18...@news4.giganews.com>,

Dusty Rhodes <te...@REMOVETHIStexas.net> wrote:
>I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
>about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
>stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
>living things.
>
>Choosing to be a vegetarian, OTOH, for health reasons makes perfect
>sense to me. I don't agree, but at least it's not transparently
>disingenuous and hypocritical.

I don't eat veal (or live goldfish, or numerous other "delicacies")
because I feel that although most meat is O.K., the way these foods are
produced is inhumane.

Does that automatically make me transparently disingenuous and
hypocritical?

- Logan

Logan Shaw

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
In article <0e7J4.84802$17.18...@news4.giganews.com>,
Dusty Rhodes <te...@REMOVETHIStexas.net> wrote:
>I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
>about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
>stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
>living things.

You're absolutely right! Down with specieism! Specieism MUST be
[ahem] ROOTED OUT of our society!

Why did you know that right at this very moment, the University of
Texas at Austin SEGREGATES its biology classes? Yes, that's right!
Instead of living in a SPECIESBLIND world, we live in one where one
class of subject matter goes by the name ZOOLOGY, but another, totally
INNOCENT class of subject matter is forced to endure the OBLOQUY of
being called by the derogatory name BOTANY. This INJUSTICE must be
STOPPED!

Will this even END? I feel the University of Texas should institute a
subject matter desegregation policy IMMEDIATELY! If we all work
together, then one day soon PLANTS will no longer be forced to move to
the back of the [cough cough] SYLLABUS while the ANIMALS sit at the
front!

If you agree, come show your support for this WORTHY CAUSE by
demonstrating with me at an ANTI-SPECIEISM rally to be held on the West
Mall the SIXTH TUESDAY of THIS MONTH at 13:00am!

- Logan

JCS

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Logan Shaw <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:8d37bd$jki$1...@havarti.cs.utexas.edu...

> In article <0e7J4.84802$17.18...@news4.giganews.com>,
> Dusty Rhodes <te...@REMOVETHIStexas.net> wrote:
> >I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers me
> >about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I can't
> >stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less valuable
> >living things.
>
> You're absolutely right! Down with specieism! Specieism MUST be
> [ahem] ROOTED OUT of our society!
>
> Why did you know that right at this very moment, the University of
> Texas at Austin SEGREGATES its biology classes? Yes, that's right!
> Instead of living in a SPECIESBLIND world, we live in one where one
> class of subject matter goes by the name ZOOLOGY, but another, totally
> INNOCENT class of subject matter is forced to endure the OBLOQUY of
> being called by the derogatory name BOTANY. This INJUSTICE must be
> STOPPED!
>
> Will this even END? I feel the University of Texas should institute a
> subject matter desegregation policy IMMEDIATELY!

They've already done it. The botany and zoology departments no longer
exist, many of their fields having been integrated into a new department
called "Integrative Biology." How did you see so clearly into the past? :-)

> If we all work
> together, then one day soon PLANTS will no longer be forced to move to
> the back of the [cough cough] SYLLABUS while the ANIMALS sit at the
> front!

Heh, he... actually, UT Botany was invariably ranked #1 or #2 nationally,
higher than zoo. :-)

> If you agree, come show your support for this WORTHY CAUSE by
> demonstrating with me at an ANTI-SPECIEISM rally to be held on the West
> Mall the SIXTH TUESDAY of THIS MONTH at 13:00am!

Yep, us people and us artichokes and us acellular slime molds must all come
together as friends, because it's good to eat a friend, my friend.
--
jan

Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to

JCS <tee...@jump.net> wrote in message news:8d31ph$cv9$1...@news.jump.net...

> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message
> news:%V6J4.4109$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net...
> > <chuckle> I guess that religion is religion, even when it's secular. I
> > went into West Lynn a few years ago, and wasn't aware that it was a
> > vegetarian place. I asked about meat, and got a huge load of attitude
> > from the waiter.
>
> I do fail to understand why vegetarians get the grief they do. Sure,
> evidence suggests that humans are basically omnivores, meaning we've
evolved
> to eat anything we can capture and hold down. But by comparison to the
> bizarre meat-and-oil centered diet most Westerners are raised to,
> vegetarianism is an adaptive norm.

I've got no problem with the diet... I've got a problem with the preaching
that
often accompanies it.

> > Thanks, but no thanks. Religious zealots tend to be jerks, regardless
of
> > what their religion may be.
>

> You said something about "a huge load of attitude"... ?

Yep. The "how dare you eat meat" BS.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Logan Shaw <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:8d32fi$j4h$1...@havarti.cs.utexas.edu...
> In article <oR6J4.4105$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net>,

> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:
> >the_austin_cars <the_aus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:38EFA2...@yahoo.com...
> >> Personally, I rather not have the smell of death in a
> >> place I go to eat, especially when it proclaims to be for vegetarians.
> >
> >"Smell of death"? Sounds like a violation of health codes. Either that,
> >or you're making a political statement.
>
> Is it possible for you to believe that they just don't like the smell
> of meat? Or do they have to have the same preferences as you?

If so, that's what they could have said. The "smell of death" is the type
of
high drama that is typical of the vegetarians I find irritating. Let me be
clear: I have no problem with their preference, my problem is with the
preaching.

> As a kid, my parents had to coerce me to eat my vegetables, because I
> didn't like them. My sister was the other way around. She ate all her
> vegetables (and fruits) without any convincing, but she ate her meat
> only because our parents made her.
>
> Gradually, as she got older, she found herself eating just chicken and
> fish, because she preferred them to red meat. Eventually, that trailed
> off too. I talked to her one time about it, and she said that on a few
> occasions she tried eating meat, but found she liked it even less
> because she hadn't had any of it in a while and was thus not acclimated
> to it.

I know folks like this. Like you, I took more to meat than to vegetables.

> So, today she's a vegetarian. Not for moral or health reasons, but
> because she doesn't like meat. And guess what: she finds the smell of
> it distasteful. In fact, she was chosen for a focus group when they
> were building Central Market and she suggested they lay it out so that
> nobody had to go through the meat section if they didn't want to,
> because of the smell.

Interesting.

> So, if I were a vegetarian and I went to a vegetarian restaurant, one
> of the attractions would be that I wouldn't have to smell meat.

Hmmm... I wonder how common your sister's preference is? In
other words, would they lose more business or gain more if they
added meat to the menu?

> It would be a lot like if there were restaurants that sold food that
> was entirely free of celery, lima beans, and squash. I pretty much
> hate those foods enough that a guarantee that I wouldn't even have to
> smell them would be worth something to me.

I'm OK with celery, but am not fans of the other two. And there are
plenty of other things I dislike. But having 'em on a plate across the
table is no big deal.

I guess this is just a natural step in our current society, the chant of
"I am Offended, and I Must Be Appeased." We've become a rather
sickeningly self-centered group.

> Now, if you add in the moral dimension, the smell of meat becomes (for
> some people) objectionable for two independent reasons. Since
> vegetarian restaurants are there to serve people who find it
> objectionable, it only makes sense for them to cater to what those
> people want.

Ok.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com

Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Logan Shaw <lo...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:8d32n0$j5m$1...@havarti.cs.utexas.edu...
> In article <%V6J4.4109$Nm2.1...@news.swbell.net>,

> Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:
> ><chuckle> I guess that religion is religion, even when it's secular. I
> >went into West Lynn a few years ago, and wasn't aware that it was a
> >vegetarian place. I asked about meat, and got a huge load of attitude
> >from the waiter.
>
> Ask any vegetarian if they've even gotten a negative response from a
> waiter or waitress when they tried to order stuff *without* meat at a
> restaurant that serves meat. No, they usually don't get a moral
> tirade, but sometimes the waiter/waitress (or cook) is unwilling to be
> accomodating, and sometimes they get looked down upon or laughed at.
>
> So what's the difference between the "anyone who eats meat is a
> murderer" and "anyone who doesn't eat meat is stupid and they should
> just be normal like me" attitude?

Both are silly attitudes. But the presence of one does not justify the
presence of the other.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Albert Nurick

unread,
Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
to
Norman Richards <o...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:slrn8fa55...@technophilus.dhs.org...

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:00:17 -0500, Dusty Rhodes
> <te...@texas.net> wrote:
> > I wasn't going to bring that up, but that's *exactly* what bothers
> > me about the "meat is murder" crowd. It's their blatant specieism I
> > can't stand. How typically animalistic to assume plants are less
> > valuable living things.
>
> Come to think of it - that reminds me of what bothers me about the
> whole "shooting people people is murder" meat eating crowd. It's
> their blatant specieism I can't stand. How typically humanistic to
> assume animals are less valuable living things.

In the viewpoint of some of us, they are.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com


Norman Richards

unread,
Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00