Help: place to get tamales

JKC

Dec 4, 2005, 2:42:03 AM12/4/05
Can anyone recommend a place to get good authentic tamales in Austin?
I prefer places north of the river (Town Lake).
Thanks.

meadhbh

Dec 4, 2005, 10:32:54 AM12/4/05
Oaxacan Tamaleo on Anderson Lane. Wonderful tameles! Wrapped in banana
leaf instead of corn husk. They have 3 flavors... black bean, chicken (with
mole) and pork with green chile sauce. The pork tamales are the hottest.
They are also sold at the Austin Farmer's market on Saturday.

Maddie
"JKC" <jkcj...@yahoo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message

Frank Mancuso

Dec 4, 2005, 10:41:36 AM12/4/05
I have ordered some killer tamales from Curra's(south, but I'm sure the
one on Burnet does them too-even sweet ones!).

Victor Martinez

Dec 4, 2005, 11:18:00 AM12/4/05
meadhbh wrote:
> Oaxacan Tamaleo on Anderson Lane. Wonderful tameles! Wrapped in banana
> leaf instead of corn husk. They have 3 flavors... black bean, chicken (with
> mole) and pork with green chile sauce. The pork tamales are the hottest.
> They are also sold at the Austin Farmer's market on Saturday.

I second that suggestion, excellent oaxacan-style tamales. I haven't
been able to find a good central mexico-style tamales yet, the only ones
common here are the northern mexico-style (very thin masa with a dense
texture around the filling). I prefer the tamales I grew up with, where
the masa is fluffy, like cake. :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here: u...@ftc.gov

JKC

Dec 5, 2005, 8:23:18 PM12/5/05

"meadhbh" <mea...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Is "Oaxacan Tamaleo" actual name of the business?
I could not find anything under that name or "Oaxacan Tamale".
Do you happen to know their phone # or address?

Victor Martinez

Dec 5, 2005, 9:33:08 PM12/5/05
JKC wrote:
> Is "Oaxacan Tamaleo" actual name of the business?
> I could not find anything under that name or "Oaxacan Tamale".
> Do you happen to know their phone # or address?

Google is your friend:
http://www.tamaleo.com/pages/1/index.htm

motorblade

Dec 6, 2005, 11:35:33 AM12/6/05
I like the veggie Tamales at Mr Natural two locations one east on
1st(cesar Chavez) and south lamar

of course veggie tamales would not be really authentic and neither
location is north so forget I said anything

Chris

Dec 6, 2005, 12:08:15 PM12/6/05
Anywhere to find good traditional pork tamales (corn husk variety)? I
used to buy them at the Green & White Grocery way back. They were
great.

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

Victor Martinez

Dec 6, 2005, 12:53:50 PM12/6/05
Chris wrote:
> Anywhere to find good traditional pork tamales (corn husk variety)? I
> used to buy them at the Green & White Grocery way back. They were
> great.

Define what you mean by traditional. Thin dense masa around the filling?
Thick, spongy masa around the filling?

Logan Shaw

Dec 6, 2005, 2:25:22 PM12/6/05
Victor Martinez wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> Anywhere to find good traditional pork tamales (corn husk variety)? I
>> used to buy them at the Green & White Grocery way back. They were
>> great.
>

> Define what you mean by traditional. Thin dense masa around the filling?
> Thick, spongy masa around the filling?

Someone else mentioned a place that sells tamales fill with chicken with
mole or with black beans. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing those
aren't traditional. Therefore, I took the word "traditional" to mean
"not filled with black beans or anything weird like that". :-)

Of course, you can correct me if I'm wrong. For all I know black beans
are a traditional thing to use as a filling for tamales, and I just
haven't ever heard of it. (But then most Texans probably haven't either,
so maybe the word traditional means "what a Texan expects to see in a
tamale".)

- Logan

Victor Martinez

Dec 6, 2005, 3:03:41 PM12/6/05
Logan Shaw wrote:
> Someone else mentioned a place that sells tamales fill with chicken with
> mole or with black beans. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing those
> aren't traditional. Therefore, I took the word "traditional" to mean
> "not filled with black beans or anything weird like that". :-)

Nope. Tamales can be filled with anything you like. Have you ever had
sweet tamales with a candied fruit filling? Those are great for
breakfast, with a steaming cup of atole. :)
The most common tamales will often be filled with pork, since lard is
used to make the masa and even pork broth is added to the dough for
flavor. Seafood tamales are traditional in Veracruz, usually wrapped in
banana leaves. Oaxacan tamales mean to your average mexican a
banana-wrapped, mole filled tamal. In guerrero they make iguana tamales,
which thankfully I've never tried. My paternal grandma always made 3
kinds of tamales, red, green and sweet. The red ones had pork in red
chile sauce, the green ones chicken in green sauce and the sweet ones
were pink with raisins. Sigh. See what you did? Now I'm all hungry and
nostalgic! :)

> Of course, you can correct me if I'm wrong. For all I know black beans
> are a traditional thing to use as a filling for tamales, and I just
> haven't ever heard of it. (But then most Texans probably haven't either,
> so maybe the word traditional means "what a Texan expects to see in a
> tamale".)

Beans are an unusual filling in my experience (in Mexico), savory
tamales are almost always filled with meat. Sometimes cheese is used
too, but meat is the most common filling.
BTW, the singular of tamales is tamal, not tamale. In spanish anyway. ;-)

D. Cook

Dec 6, 2005, 4:26:51 PM12/6/05
In article <3vm94vF...@individual.net>, Victor Martinez
<m...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Beans are an unusual filling in my experience (in Mexico), savory
> tamales are almost always filled with meat. Sometimes cheese is used
> too, but meat is the most common filling.
> BTW, the singular of tamales is tamal, not tamale. In spanish anyway. ;-)

We're making pork & chicken, pork & chicken with jalapenos, and pork &
chicken with raisins. Yum!

http://gallery.addlepated.net/Tamales2005

Victor Martinez

Dec 6, 2005, 10:29:31 PM12/6/05
D. Cook wrote:
> http://gallery.addlepated.net/Tamales2005

But you live in Austin, why use the really bad lard when you can buy
good lard at Fiesta? The solid stuff has been partially hydrogenated,
which makes it really, really bad for you. The semi-liquid stuff that
you buy at Fiesta is no worse for you than butter. And so yummy! :)

BTW, for those of you curious about the differences, those are
northern-Mexico/Texas style tamales.

D. Cook

Dec 6, 2005, 11:18:44 PM12/6/05
In article <3vn38tF...@individual.net>, Victor Martinez
<m...@nospam.com> wrote:

> But you live in Austin, why use the really bad lard when you can buy
> good lard at Fiesta? The solid stuff has been partially hydrogenated,
> which makes it really, really bad for you. The semi-liquid stuff that
> you buy at Fiesta is no worse for you than butter. And so yummy! :)
>
> BTW, for those of you curious about the differences, those are
> northern-Mexico/Texas style tamales.

At least it's not Crisco. ;)

Seriously though, I never knew there was a difference between lards.
I'm just a guera trying to keep up with my hubby. Since we've gotten
about 20 dozen made already, we'll probably stick with this kind this
year. Maybe next time we'll investigate the oher type of lard.

pistor

Dec 7, 2005, 10:59:37 AM12/7/05
D. Cook wrote:
> At least it's not Crisco. ;)

Or vegetable oil, which my mother now uses to make tamales when her
vegetarian friends come over. Thank goodness I haven't had to eat them
yet. :)

> Seriously though, I never knew there was a difference between lards.

I guess most people don't. The white stuff is kinda like margarine,
chemically modified to make it more shelf-stable.

> I'm just a guera trying to keep up with my hubby. Since we've gotten
> about 20 dozen made already, we'll probably stick with this kind this
> year. Maybe next time we'll investigate the oher type of lard.

I highly recommend it! They sell it at Fiesta in tubs by the meat
counter. It keeps in the freezer forever.

Victor, who needs to go get some lard and some duck fat.

James Lee Johnson

Dec 7, 2005, 5:39:35 PM12/7/05
"Victor Martinez" wrote:> D. Cook wrote:
> BTW, for those of you curious about the differences, those are
> northern-Mexico/Texas style tamales.

Victor,

In Texas, homemade tamales are associated with the Christmas season. Is that
true in any parts of Mexico? I had some sweet tamales for breakfast in
Oaxaca, but I don't know if it was because it was Christmas season, or if
they were regular fare.

As an old Texas gringo, I only recently came to realize that Christmas
tamales were part of my heritage. We almost always got pork tamales from
someone who was making and selling them for the holidays. They usually took
orders in advance. As a kid, I didn't make the direct association with
Christmas, because we didn't eat the tamales on Christmas day.

Nowadays, when my wife and I are able to beg, buy, or steal some homemade
tamales, we have them for Christmas breakfast .... if they last 'till then.

jjhnsn

Elliot Richmond

Dec 7, 2005, 6:10:04 PM12/7/05
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:39:35 GMT, "James Lee Johnson"
<jjh...@incyb.com> wrote:

>"Victor Martinez" wrote:> D. Cook wrote:
>> BTW, for those of you curious about the differences, those are
>> northern-Mexico/Texas style tamales.
>
>Victor,
>
>In Texas, homemade tamales are associated with the Christmas season.

When I was growing up in San Antonio, our favorite restaurant was
Karam's on N. Zarzamora. Around this time of year they would always
post a sign in the window: "Order your Christmas tamales early." That
was 50 years ago. They were good tamales. Mmmmm....

Good food too. The restaurant served chicken mole long before mole
sauce became the trendy thing.

Karam's is still in business at the same location. I do not know if
the food is still as good or not, but I plan to make a visit the next
time we go to San Antonio.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Message has been deleted

Lynn Cage

Dec 7, 2005, 7:48:31 PM12/7/05
On 12/7/05 5:10 PM, in article gfqep1dvs41o6l25g...@4ax.com,
"Elliot Richmond" <xmric...@xaustin.xrr.xcom> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:39:35 GMT, "James Lee Johnson"
> <jjh...@incyb.com> wrote:
>

> When I was growing up in San Antonio, our favorite restaurant was
> Karam's on N. Zarzamora.

We went there in the 70's when I was a kid. Good memories. I saw that it was
still there when in town the last time. I hope to go back one of these days!

James Lee Johnson

Dec 7, 2005, 8:32:58 PM12/7/05
My wife bought some very good tamales at the Central Market at Westgate.
They had more meat and in bigger pieces than what I think of as traditional
tamales and she thinks they were labeled "beef and pork". Still, they were
yummy.

jjhnsn

Victor Martinez

Dec 7, 2005, 10:53:41 PM12/7/05
James Lee Johnson wrote:
> In Texas, homemade tamales are associated with the Christmas season. Is that
> true in any parts of Mexico? I had some sweet tamales for breakfast in

In some parts it is, particularly for poor people. My grandmother used
to make them every year for x-mas and many other celebrations. :)
I've always associated x-mas with roast turkey, bacalao (cod cooked in a
mediterranean style), and romeritos (wild leafy veggie cooked with mole
and dry shrimp patties). Those are the most traditional x-mas dishes in
Mexico.

D. Cook

Dec 8, 2005, 12:42:47 AM12/8/05
Ok, hubby went to Fiesta today and found a tub of Parade lard, which
doesn't have partially hydrogenated lard in it. It's still white and
fairly solid though. That was the only other type besides the Armour
that he saw.

We've made about 32 dozen so far, and have another 4 lbs or so of meat
to go! *whew*

In article <3vn38tF...@individual.net>, Victor Martinez

Victor Martinez

Dec 8, 2005, 8:06:22 AM12/8/05
D. Cook wrote:
> Ok, hubby went to Fiesta today and found a tub of Parade lard, which
> doesn't have partially hydrogenated lard in it. It's still white and
> fairly solid though. That was the only other type besides the Armour
> that he saw.

The one I usually get is rendered at the store, they sell it bulk. It's
got more of an off-white color. But I'm sure that one is good, as long
as it's not altered chemically. It might have been somewhat processed to
make it white. Does it need to be refrigerated?

> We've made about 32 dozen so far, and have another 4 lbs or so of meat
> to go! *whew*

So, where do you live again? :)

Joann Zimmerman

Dec 8, 2005, 11:19:59 AM12/8/05
In article <3vpp25F...@individual.net>, m...@nospam.com says...

> James Lee Johnson wrote:
> > In Texas, homemade tamales are associated with the Christmas season. Is that
> > true in any parts of Mexico? I had some sweet tamales for breakfast in
>
> In some parts it is, particularly for poor people. My grandmother used
> to make them every year for x-mas and many other celebrations. :)
> I've always associated x-mas with roast turkey, bacalao (cod cooked in a
> mediterranean style), and romeritos (wild leafy veggie cooked with mole
> and dry shrimp patties). Those are the most traditional x-mas dishes in
> Mexico.

I was noticing that CM North had a sign up for bacalao earlier this
week, and was wondering about that, because they never did before that
I've noticed, and it is (in I believe a different form) also a Venetian
dish, but not associated with the holidays there as far as I know. If my
companion in foodcrime hadn't been in a bit of a hurry, I would have
asked to see it.

--
"I never understood people who don't have bookshelves."
--George Plimpton

Joann Zimmerman jz...@bellereti.com

Victor Martinez

Dec 8, 2005, 11:37:44 AM12/8/05
Joann Zimmerman wrote:
> I've noticed, and it is (in I believe a different form) also a Venetian
> dish, but not associated with the holidays there as far as I know. If my

The full name of the dish is "bacalao a la vizcaina", which means cod in
the "Vizcay" style (I think it's a place in the Basque Country in Spain).
Anyhow, basically you start with dry cod (norwegian is the best), which
you soak in water for several hours, changing the water a few times. On
a large, heavy pot sautee a lot of onion in plenty of olive oil. On a
comal or skillet, charr plum tomatoes and whole heads of garlic. Puree
tomatoes and pass through a sieve. Add to onions, along with whole
garlic heads. Let simmer and season with salt and pepper. Shred the cod,
discarding bones and skin, if any. Add to sauce. Let cook a bit more.
Add baby potatoes, olives, capers, and chopped parsley. Serve with good
french bread and pickled "chiles gueros", which are long, yellow mild
peppers. I can get ingredients quantities if anybody is interested. This
is the best x-mas dish in Mexico, in my opinion. :)

Joann Zimmerman

Dec 8, 2005, 12:43:41 PM12/8/05
In article <3vr5qpF...@individual.net>, m...@nospam.com says...

> Joann Zimmerman wrote:
> > I've noticed, and it is (in I believe a different form) also a Venetian
> > dish, but not associated with the holidays there as far as I know. If my
>
> The full name of the dish is "bacalao a la vizcaina", which means cod in
> the "Vizcay" style (I think it's a place in the Basque Country in Spain).
> Anyhow, basically you start with dry cod (norwegian is the best), which
> you soak in water for several hours, changing the water a few times. On
> a large, heavy pot sautee a lot of onion in plenty of olive oil. On a
> comal or skillet, charr plum tomatoes and whole heads of garlic. Puree
> tomatoes and pass through a sieve. Add to onions, along with whole
> garlic heads. Let simmer and season with salt and pepper. Shred the cod,
> discarding bones and skin, if any. Add to sauce. Let cook a bit more.
> Add baby potatoes, olives, capers, and chopped parsley. Serve with good
> french bread and pickled "chiles gueros", which are long, yellow mild
> peppers. I can get ingredients quantities if anybody is interested. This
> is the best x-mas dish in Mexico, in my opinion. :)

OK: the two recipes I have (from the Harry's Bar cookbook) include one
from Vicenza (up the road a ways from Venice) that looks a lot like
yours except no tomatoes, and no intriguing-sounding serving
suggestions. The other, which seems to have a pedigree more local to
Venice, is cod, olive oil in quantity, a ton of parsley, three anchovies
and polenta.

In either case, the cod is called "baccala`" (note the accent on the
end).

D. Cook

Dec 8, 2005, 3:38:06 PM12/8/05
In article <3vqpedF...@individual.net>, Victor Martinez
<m...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Does it need to be refrigerated?

It says "Store in a cool place", so I'm guessing that means
refrigeratedish.

> So, where do you live again? :)

Second star to the right, straight on til morning!

Have you ever had meat & raisin tamales? Hub and his family hadn't
heard of them before, but I used to love them as a kid growing up in
San Antonio.

Victor Martinez

Dec 8, 2005, 3:39:43 PM12/8/05
Joann Zimmerman wrote:
> In either case, the cod is called "baccala`" (note the accent on the
> end).

My guess is that it's the translation for cod in italian, just like
bacalao is in spanish.

tom spillman

Dec 8, 2005, 4:08:11 PM12/8/05
Victor Martinez wrote:
> Joann Zimmerman wrote:
>
>> In either case, the cod is called "baccala`" (note the accent on the
>> end).
>

> My guess is that it's the translation for cod in italian, just like
> bacalao is in spanish.

According to my Italian dictionary, cod is "merluzzo" in Italian.
However, you are correct "baccala`" in Italian is dried codfish. The
same word, with various spellings is used all over the Mediterranean
basin for dried cod.

It is particularly popular in Portugal where I've seen huge stacks for
sale in shop windows...

Regards...

Tom

the wharf rat

Dec 8, 2005, 5:35:07 PM12/8/05
In article <3vrk0eF...@individual.net>,

Victor Martinez <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> In either case, the cod is called "baccala`" (note the accent on the
>My guess is that it's the translation for cod in italian, just like

I thought baccala was that sweet Grrek stuff made from filo
and almonds...

Lynn Cage

Dec 8, 2005, 5:41:05 PM12/8/05
On 12/8/05 4:35 PM, in article dnacer$k9g$1...@reader2.panix.com, "the wharf
rat" <wr...@panix.com> wrote:

> I thought baccala was that sweet Grrek stuff made from filo
> and almonds...

That's baklava :-)

Message has been deleted

PatDugan

Dec 9, 2005, 8:40:09 AM12/9/05

Regards...

Tom

*******************

It's a Portuguese invention: bacalhau (ba-ca-YA - sorta).

The Portuguese fish the North Atlantic for cod (have for centuries).
Processing/Salting it allows them to stay out longer and bring in a
bigger haul. Not to say they don't bring back fresh cod, as well.

You can find huge slabs of it in Portuguese markets. I've seen it up
north (Boston, Fall River, MA - lots of Portuguese food manufacturers,
Providence, RI). I've seen it here at Fiesta. It's sold in small
wooden chests.

Pat

Chris

Dec 9, 2005, 12:31:20 PM12/9/05

Victor Martinez wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > Anywhere to find good traditional pork tamales (corn husk variety)? I
> > used to buy them at the Green & White Grocery way back. They were
> > great.
>
> Define what you mean by traditional. Thin dense masa around the filling?
> Thick, spongy masa around the filling?
>
> --

By traditional, I mean the kind you could once get at Green & White
Grocery in East Austin ;). I guess it would be thin & dense. Slightly
spicy. Just a "regular tamale" in gringo terms. The type that would
accompany a combo platter at your average tex mex restaurant.

Victor Martinez

Dec 9, 2005, 12:45:08 PM12/9/05
Chris wrote:
> spicy. Just a "regular tamale" in gringo terms. The type that would
> accompany a combo platter at your average tex mex restaurant.

I'm pretty sure Central Market sell pork tamales that would fit your
description. :)