the nature of austin driving

Aaron Evans

Dec 26, 1994, 9:29:32 PM12/26/94
Austin driving sucks in a unique way. In other areas, people drive
aggressively on purpose. They KNOW that they are cutting you off or what
not. But Austin drivers have their heads way up their butts.
I feel that many Austin drivers have no idea what is going on out there on
the road, it's called cranial rectitus, er... something.
My feelings anyway. I see things this way because everytime I narrowly
avoid being slammed by a dumb-ass austinite, i find that they have no idea
how close they came to being hurt.

--
Finger deli...@bga.com for pgp public key.
try http://www.realtime.net/~delirium.

Scott Steves

Dec 28, 1994, 12:48:27 AM12/28/94
In article <3dnu6c$q...@giga.bga.com>, deli...@bga.com (Aaron Evans) wrote:

> Austin driving sucks in a unique way. In other areas, people drive
> aggressively on purpose. They KNOW that they are cutting you off or what
> not. But Austin drivers have their heads way up their butts.
> I feel that many Austin drivers have no idea what is going on out there on
> the road, it's called cranial rectitus, er... something.
> My feelings anyway. I see things this way because everytime I narrowly
> avoid being slammed by a dumb-ass austinite, i find that they have no idea
> how close they came to being hurt.

I think you're _way_ off base - I've encountered this kind of cranial
rectitus abonimus in virtually every city in the nation. These
slow-in-the-left-lane-driving,
lane-changing-without-looking-much-less-signalling dimwits are
_everywhere_. Maybe they're all coming from cali?

> --
> Finger deli...@bga.com for pgp public key.
> try http://www.realtime.net/~delirium.

sco...@bga.com
__________________ Beware the Monkey Demon, Wong!___________________

Aaron Evans

Dec 28, 1994, 3:49:07 PM12/28/94
: I think you're _way_ off base - I've encountered this kind of cranial

: rectitus abonimus in virtually every city in the nation. These
: slow-in-the-left-lane-driving,
: lane-changing-without-looking-much-less-signalling dimwits are
: _everywhere_. Maybe they're all coming from cali?

That's very possible. I remember people being better at driving a year
ago.... And people have been moving here from cali lately.

jb...@eden.com

Jan 7, 1995, 8:04:44 AM1/7/95
In <3dnu6c$q...@giga.bga.com>, deli...@bga.com (Aaron Evans) writes:
>Austin driving sucks in a unique way. In other areas, people drive
>aggressively on purpose. They KNOW that they are cutting you off or what
>not. But Austin drivers have their heads way up their butts.
>I feel that many Austin drivers have no idea what is going on out there on
>the road, it's called cranial rectitus, er... something.
>My feelings anyway. I see things this way because everytime I narrowly
>avoid being slammed by a dumb-ass austinite, i find that they have no idea
>how close they came to being hurt.

I agree there are too many stupid drivers in Austin. Now, are they Austinites?
Probably not. They are probably brain-dead sewer scum from LA or Boston or
whereever the hell else they come from. You know, the kind of jerk off fools
who move in, announce nobody knows how to drive except them, and claim to
be able to tell if the equally bad driver who just moved them over a lane or
two is a native or yet another left coast geek who lost their friggin jobs and
had to move to a happening kind of place.

Welcome to Austin.

>--
>Finger deli...@bga.com for pgp public key.
>try http://www.realtime.net/~delirium.

|===================================================================|
| http://www.eden.com/~jbarr | "The difference between me and |
| Internet: jb...@eden.com | the surrealists is that I am a |
| Fidonet: 1:382/46.0 | surrealist." |
| CIS: 74000,3527 | Salvador Dali |
|===================================================================|

Kris Schludermann

Jan 7, 1995, 10:52:16 PM1/7/95
In article <3em3hc$1...@boris.eden.com>, <jb...@eden.com> wrote:
>In <3dnu6c$q...@giga.bga.com>, deli...@bga.com (Aaron Evans) writes:
>>Austin driving sucks in a unique way. In other areas, people drive
>>aggressively on purpose. They KNOW that they are cutting you off or what
>>not. But Austin drivers have their heads way up their butts.

it's a Texas Thang. the asleep at the wheel effect.

>>I feel that many Austin drivers have no idea what is going on out there on
>>the road, it's called cranial rectitus, er... something.

actually south carolina is similar, i called it the "on the farm effect"

>>My feelings anyway. I see things this way because everytime I narrowly
>>avoid being slammed by a dumb-ass austinite, i find that they have no idea
>>how close they came to being hurt.

sounds like you have to learn to drive ultra alert, or ultra laid back.
remember when you were taught defensive driving? taught to read traffic?
Austinites (actually Texans as a whole) do give clues.

>I agree there are too many stupid drivers in Austin. Now, are they Austinites?

naturalized austinites.

>Probably not. They are probably brain-dead sewer scum from LA or Boston or
>whereever the hell else they come from. You know, the kind of jerk off fools
>who move in, announce nobody knows how to drive except them, and claim to
>be able to tell if the equally bad driver who just moved them over a lane or
>two is a native or yet another left coast geek who lost their friggin jobs and
>had to move to a happening kind of place.

well if your familar with the above mentioned drivers (actually any major
metropolitian are other than washington DC), do what i learned to do.
drive looking through the car's in front of you windsheild, actually as far
in front as you can see. if you see any one car swerve, nose dive, or the
brake lights come on, get ready. if you see a driver's head infront of
you start to twist & turn, they are getting ready to change lanes. if this
happens near an exit of IH-35, you can be sure they are getting ready to
immediately exit. when i see this behavior in the far left lane and i'm
in the left lane, i will actually speed up to complicate the drivers exit
and make them miss their exits. they should have planned to leave the
highway long before they recalled the exit, perhaps the aggravation is
enough to make them act differently next time. but remember always act
like your dumb & unaware of them when you do this. having an ugly knarly
truck is a plus, a trailer helps too.

another way is to drive like your in an autorace and that the obstacles
(cars) will move laterally at anytime. continually plan alternate routes
around shifting obstacles.

but keep in mind that these driving tips only apply in boom times. during
bust periods, the roads are much more open.

you can also telecommute.

FYI i've been driving austin since 1980

Wheeeeeeee!

Jan 8, 1995, 7:03:44 PM1/8/95
Aaron Evans (deli...@bga.com) wrote:
: Austin driving sucks in a unique way. In other areas, people drive

Yes I feel the same way. When I'm crusing down I35 at 95-100 and some
guy pulls in front of me going 70 I get pissed off. And then they stay
in the lane and won't move. So then I have to flash my brites until they
get the hint.