Austin's 29th Annual Moonlight Cruze Bike Ride - 09/11/2011 2:00am Saturday night/Sunday morning

1 view

Doug McLaren

Sep 8, 2011, 5:59:44 PM9/8/11
Here's a facebook event for it --

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=260444150642918

If you don't do the facebook thing ...

It's September, and the full moon is coming, and you know what that
means ... the 29th Annual Moonlight Cruze Bicycle Ride!

Be at the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge at 2:00am this Saturday
night/Sunday morning (yes, 2am), and we roll out at about 2:30am.
It's a night ride, so you'll want lights.

Here's the history of "The Cruze" --

Back in the day the Cruze got started by Lynn Carter and the old
Austin Cruzer Bike Shop on 34th street. It was officially sponsored by
the shop, with registration, maps, and everything. The shop stopped
sponsoring the ride one year after a rider was hit and killed by a
driver on his way home afterwards. Previous to that, the date was
always the Sunday closest to the September full moon. It never had
anything to do with the Harvest Moon. The year after the accident,
with no official leader or sponsor, we all showed up at the usual
spot, at the usual time, and found a pile of route maps waiting for us
on the pavement. So we did the ride, and have continued to do so on
the same route every year on the Sunday closest to the full moon in
September.

austin.announce is the MODERATED newsgroup for announcements of interest to
Austin-area Usenet readers. See <http://frenzy.austin.tx.us/austin.announce/>
for information on submitting announcements to this group.