February IEEE TMC meeting

Doug Russell

Feb 2, 2009, 8:29:03 PM2/2/09
to austi...@googlegroups.com, Sherry Gillespie, Leslie Martinich, Steve Teleki

Please join us at Amplify Credit Union, 2606 Brockton Driveat 630PM on February 10 for our monthly IEEE TMC meeting. We are very pleased to announce that our speaker for February is Sherry Gillespie, an IEEE fellow that many of you probably know from the Central Texas IEEE section, who will speak on her experience's as a Congressional Fellow in Joe Lieberman's office. Some information on Sherry's talk and Sherry herself is shown below.

Hope to see you there!

Doug Russell, trying hard to follow in Leslie's steps as Austin chair

Agenda:

630PM-700PM: Networking

700PM-800PM: Sherry G talk

800PM-830PM: More networking!

Potomac Fever

As the 2008 IEEE-USA Congressional Fellow, Sherry Gillespie had the privilege of being immersed in the wonders and weirdness of the U.S. Senate.  One thing she learned very quickly on the Hill is that there is no such thing as pure policy making.  It's policy, politics and procedure woven together.  Being the science point person in the office brought her issues as wide-ranging as the NASA Space Suit competition, EHS concerns with nanotechnology, and acquisition of semiconductors by the DOD.  She will give a snapshot of her experience on the Hill.  This Fellowship was indeed a huge benefit of her IEEE membership.

About the Speaker: Sherry Gillespie

Sherry's career in the semiconductor industry took her from IBM in Burlington, VT and E. Fishkill NY to Motorola in Austin TX.  She was director of materials research and strategic technologies at Motorola.  She is a Sr. Member of IEEE and served as Vice Chair of the Central Texas Section as well as Chair of the Women in Engineering Chapter.  She holds a Ph.D. in solid state physics and was selected to be the 2008 IEEE-USA Congressional Fellow working in the office of Senator Joe Lieberman.

--
Doug Russell
Executive Team Leadership, LLC