Cafe meetup 7/24: Anti-thankfulness and Moloch

Silas Barta

Jul 21, 2021, 2:27:14 PMJul 21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Every year at our Thanksgiving meetup, we talk about what we're thankful for.

During brainstorming, we got the idea to do an anti-thankfulness meetup: what is it that sucks about the world that you wish were different? What bad/inadequate equilibria are we stuck in?

In particular, what are the Moloch-type situations you can identify, which are cases where things are bad, but everyone's also incentivized to perpetuate the badness? e.g. overfishing tragedies of the commons, arms races, races to the bottom. (Two weeks ago, education was put forth as an example.)
***
The meetup is at Central Market, 4001 N. Lamar, in the cafe area. Look for the LW and SSC signs. People start arriving at 1:30 pm, and the main activity will begin at 2:30 pm.

Adam Chalmers

Jul 24, 2021, 2:42:47 PMJul 24
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
We're upstairs, inside, on the inner balcony

Silas Barta

Jul 24, 2021, 4:06:19 PMJul 24
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
If anyone’s still arriving, we’ve split into two large groups, indoor and outdoor.