Petrov Day 2021 Ceremony and Potluck (Sept 24)

Silas Barta

Aug 28, 2021, 12:38:09 AM8/28/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Main info:

Date: Friday, September 24, 2021
Time: Doors open 6:00pm
Location: Adam's House, 52 Waller St #A, Austin TX 78702
Potluck! You're welcome to bring a dish. Commit on this spreadsheet. [1]

Note: Petrov Day is officially the 26th, but we are holding it the Friday before.

Ceremony itself will (in accordance with tradition) tentatively start at 7pm but we may push this back to allow attendees time to arrive.
***
Every year we make sure to commemorate Petrov Day with a ceremony, in honor of Petrov avoiding the end of the world by not launching the nukes in response to a purported attack. We follow the program that you can find on this site, which involves reading from a booklet and lighting/extinguishing candles.

After the ceremony, it becomes a regular potluck party.

We hope to see you there!

Carpooling: If you need or can give a ride, put your name on this spreadsheet, following the template.

[1] Bonus points for being "Petrov Day" themed -- one year I did ice cream floats because of the ease with which they can "escalate" and "bubble over".

Colton Lewis

Sep 15, 2021, 1:14:12 AM9/15/21
to Austin Less Wrong
Do we have a rough idea of attendance? Would be helpful for coordinating food needs.

I also edited the spreadsheet to list different things people might bring so we have a mix of entrees, sides, and drinks.

Silas Barta

Sep 15, 2021, 1:57:56 AM9/15/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Oh thanks. And no I didn't start an RSVP, I was going to do a FB event ... do you know of a good easy way to do RSVP's other than asking people to reply on the thread?

Colton Lewis

Sep 15, 2021, 11:36:37 AM9/15/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Facebook event should be fine.

Make sure to announce it elsewhere in case people don’t check Facebook often. At least once on Discord and in person.

Colton Lewis

Silas Barta

Sep 15, 2021, 11:55:38 AM9/15/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Yikes. I haven't even made the LW post. Working on it now -- that should have an RSVP system.

If I did a FB that listed the address I would need to make it private for invitees and their guests only.

Silas Barta

Sep 15, 2021, 1:39:43 PM9/15/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
LW event for this has been posted and is taking RSVPs!

Silas Barta

Sep 21, 2021, 6:32:25 PM9/21/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, didn't mention here: There will be small children at these events so stay Covid safe! Please be vaccinated before coming. You may also want to consider wearing a mask indoors.

Silas Barta

Sep 24, 2021, 2:59:52 PM9/24/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Bumping the email. This is tonight!

Silas Barta

Sep 24, 2021, 3:48:29 PM9/24/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Also, a few more things:

1) We're coordinating with the Ottawa meetup to do semi-hard mode -- we'll each have a cake, and a web app where we can each push a button to destroy the other side's cake. If it's still around by 8:30, we can eat it!

2)  Here's a convenient mobile-friendly version of the program. You might want to invert the colors though. On iPhone, Settings -> Accessibility -> Display & Text Size -> Invert/Smart Invert. Android instructions.

Silas Barta

Sep 24, 2021, 6:11:28 PM9/24/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
To do the Petrov day hard mode nuking challenge, here is the link:

I will announce the password before the ceremony, so all attendees will have the change to push the button.

Silas Barta

Sep 24, 2021, 8:05:26 PM9/24/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
The login is my email address, sba...@gmail.com