August 27 Movie Discussion: Tread (2019)

Silas Barta

Aug 12, 2021, 12:30:19 PM8/12/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, August 27, 7:00 pm

"I'll take the biggest armor piercing ammunition you have." (Source)

Tread is a documentary about the history leading up to the "Killdozer" event, where metalworker Marvin Heemeyer (he-my-er) modified a bulldozer to be nigh-indestructible and then went on a rampage, destroying 13 buildings associated with townspeople he felt had wronged him.

The documentary goes into detail on Heemeyer's conflict with local government over his sewer lines and his purchases of property in Granby, Colorado. His disputes eventually lead him to plot out revenge over the course of a year.

While watching, ask yourself whether you believe Heemeyer was being targeted, or if the townspeople had reasonable expectations.  It's particularly interesting to watch the lengthy Heemeyer went in planning out his revenge, such as making sure his loved ones were insulated.

I thought it was a fascinating study on human conflict and the lengths a determined individual will go.

It is available on Netflix. Please watch before the movie discussion time if you are coming.

Silas Barta

Aug 26, 2021, 5:17:12 PM8/26/21
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder, this is tomorrow.