Austin LW Book Club - July 2021 Reading Nominations & Voting

30 views
Skip to first unread message

Tim Zook

unread,
Jul 18, 2021, 12:10:02 PMJul 18
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The Austin Less Wrong Book Club recently finished reading Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Phillip Tetlock, so it's now time to nominate and vote on the next book we will be reading.

For those who aren't familiar with the book club, every week we choose a section of a book to read (usually a few chapters) and meet via Discord/Jitsi video chat to discuss the reading. It is a great way to motivate yourself to read books you otherwise would not have and to get a chance to discuss the ideas in the books at length with the other group members.

First we will have a period for everyone to submit nominations on what book we will read next. To nominate a book, just submit a response to this form with your book nomination and a brief explanation of why you think it would be a good book for us to read. You can see the list of books that have been nominated here. Once the nomination period is over we will have a voting period where we will vote on which one of the nominations we will read next. The nomination period ends at 2021/07/24 23:00:00 CDT.

Looking forward to reading a new book with you all!

~Tim

Tim Zook

unread,
Jul 25, 2021, 10:25:44 AMJul 25
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Nominations are in and voting can now begin! You can vote using the following link: https://strawpoll.com/4cpspvoz2

The voting will close next Wednesday at 11pm (2021/07/28 23:00:00 CDT). After that our first meeting to read the first section of the book will be the following Wednesday.

Looking forward to reading one of these books with you all!

~Tim

Tim Zook

unread,
Jul 29, 2021, 10:09:48 AMJul 29
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The votes are in and Legal Systems Very Different From Ours will be the next book that we are reading together. Our first meeting reading the book will be next Wednesday, at 7:00PM CST on Wednesday, August 4th. Everyone should read the introduction and the first chapter of the book before then and we will discuss these sections together and determine how much we will read next. Looking forward to reading this new book with you all!

Thanks,
~Tim

alexander zavoluk

unread,
Jul 31, 2021, 12:27:12 AMJul 31
to austin-l...@googlegroups.com
If anyone thinks they may have trouble getting the book in time to read for Wednesday, there's a late draft available on the author's website: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Legal%20Systems/LegalSystemsContents.htm

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:09 AM Tim Zook <zook...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

The votes are in and Legal Systems Very Different From Ours will be the next book that we are reading together. Our first meeting reading the book will be next Wednesday, at 7:00PM CST on Wednesday, August 4th. Everyone should read the introduction and the first chapter of the book before then and we will discuss these sections together and determine how much we will read next. Looking forward to reading this new book with you all!

Thanks,
~Tim

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Tim Zook <zook...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Nominations are in and voting can now begin! You can vote using the following link: https://strawpoll.com/4cpspvoz2

The voting will close next Wednesday at 11pm (2021/07/28 23:00:00 CDT). After that our first meeting to read the first section of the book will be the following Wednesday.

Looking forward to reading one of these books with you all!

~Tim

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 11:09 AM Tim Zook <zook...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

The Austin Less Wrong Book Club recently finished reading Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Phillip Tetlock, so it's now time to nominate and vote on the next book we will be reading.

For those who aren't familiar with the book club, every week we choose a section of a book to read (usually a few chapters) and meet via Discord/Jitsi video chat to discuss the reading. It is a great way to motivate yourself to read books you otherwise would not have and to get a chance to discuss the ideas in the books at length with the other group members.

First we will have a period for everyone to submit nominations on what book we will read next. To nominate a book, just submit a response to this form with your book nomination and a brief explanation of why you think it would be a good book for us to read. You can see the list of books that have been nominated here. Once the nomination period is over we will have a voting period where we will vote on which one of the nominations we will read next. The nomination period ends at 2021/07/24 23:00:00 CDT.

Looking forward to reading a new book with you all!

~Tim

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Austin Less Wrong" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to austin-less-wr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/austin-less-wrong/CAGYC5aXoC8UwT_fRaruy2MtMR26-0EdVoEdp5HT2%2BwJ5x6wwfg%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages