BWB after Burning Man Draft for Comment

1 view

Parsec

Jul 16, 2009, 3:06:09 AM7/16/09
to Austin Burners Without Borders
As some of you guys know, I have been having a series of meetings with
Austin Parks and Recreation as the Burners Without Borders regional
representative (haha I made that title up myself to sound important to
them). What you are about to read is very important to me and it is
intended to open the doors (like they have in Chicago and Detroit) for
us to have events in our public parks.

Some of you have been participating in the projects I have been
coordinating to day and some very few have been to almost all.

I admit this is mostly because I have been working on some pretty hard
projects and have not pushed the agenda.

The floodgates are about to open, however. There are going to be
multiple and varied ways that we can get involved in the future.
Soon, you are going to have no excuses not to participate short of not
giving a shit about our future in relation to the Default world or our
local Austin community. If that is your stance, feel free to tell me
that when you see me when I get back. Trust me, I will listen (better
than I listen to Nila haha).

Well, here it is, open to comment and criticism.

Trailblazing Austin
Mission: To encourage community participation in public works
improvements through education, entertainment, and encouragement by
demonstration in order to establish a “Do-ocracy” with the vision of
enhancing neighborhoods by installing community gardens, painting
murals, and burnable art while working with Parks and Recreation to
realize the 10 year goal of connecting local Austin hike and bike
trails into one continuous network.

Goals: This program is designed to network current non-profits already
participating in these goals and to encourage non-networked non-
profits with existing infrastructure to join with for-profit industry
and community networks in order to defray the overall cost of these
projects and therefore reduce the burden on Austin infrastructure in
the face of impending budget cuts. This goal will be met by providing
the opportunity for the public at large to participate in
instructional community projects in order to empower community members
by providing the know-how to complete projects in their own
neighborhoods by training them in policies and procedures necessary to
fund-raise on the grassroots level, to empower community members to
approach for-profit industry, and finally to teach them how to
organize and execute projects independently of Austin infrastructure
budget.

Partners and Participants:

Burners Without Borders (assisted in a limited fashion by members Ryan
and Susan Stormer) will provide coordination of hike and bike trail
projects and will educate community members regarding fundraising and
developing community partnerships as well as provide labor for
projects requiring specialized labor. It will also serve as the
public portal to non-profit networking by educating on the grass-roots
level where and how goods can be had and will be responsible for
communication with Austin and National media. It will train community
members on the philosophy of how to operate in a “Do-ocracy” fashion
in order to empower them to devise, plan, and execute their own
projects without further supervision and to empart specialized skills
and capabilities to complete community improvement projects.

Austin Green Art will provide coordination of community garden
projects as well as murals and will educate citizens as to green
technology in order to satisfy neighborhood “green” participation
(please edit for clarification)

Austin Artistic Reconstruction(please edit as for clarification) will
provide funding and fund-raising infrastructure as well as labor to
coordinate with community partners to complete the above goals.

Community Art Makers will provide oversight and labor for artistic
construction projects as well as educate community members in the use
of specialized tools…(please edit as for clarification)

Austin Parks and Recreation will provide infrastructure equipment,
permits, oversight and funding where it is currently allocated for
projects involving public lands (please edit for clarification)

Targeted projects currently include:
• Educational seminars on how to design, coordinate, and execute
public improvement projects. This includes:
o instruction on how to target for-profit business to solicit funding
and tools
o How to identify which local non-profits can be approached for
funding and additional labor
o How to raise funding on a grassroots level to achieve community
beneficial projects
o How to assess a project for tools, labor, and develop a rough
estimate for the costs involved
o How to develop a useful project outline to encourage participants to
bring what tools they have
o How to communicate the needs of a project to community members
• Individual instructional sessions with key community members
interested in developing community projects.
• Completion of Austin Parks and Recreation projects requiring
specialized skills and labor including brush clearing, renovation of
current hike and bike trails, installing new hike and bike trails,
installing playground and exercise stations, and other assorted tasks
as needed.
• Installation of community gardens.
• Painting murals in key high-traffic areas currently subject to
graffiti.
• Creation of temporary (burnable) community art projects culminating
in public celebration of their execution using a “leave no trace
philosophy".

Parsec

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -Mohandas Gandhi

Miss D Kupps

Jul 16, 2009, 10:41:23 AM7/16/09
to austin-burners-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I am excited!

I am totally down for painting, cleaning, building and any other form of coordinating you need. I am an event planner by trade so let me know if you need any special help in setting up workshops.

As far as volunteering, I would love to have a calendar for BWB volunteer opportunities a month in advance so that I can go ahead and plan my schedule a couple of weeks ahead of time. Maybe one of these exists already and I just don't know about it.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this. Hugs!

Miss D Kupps

Jul 16, 2009, 10:44:02 AM7/16/09
to austin-burners-...@googlegroups.com
Parsec,

Also, I would love to sit down and talk to you about this in more detail when you get back so we can get started on planning the networking and community organizing aspect.