Mordialloc Freeway

Adam

Nov 9, 2021, 11:25:27 PM11/9/21
to Aussie Highways
All,

Drove past this project the other day, nothing that interesting, but it is very close to complete.  Has a T-Junction with lights at the northern end with the Dingley Bypass.

It is signed as M11 which is what one would expect, however common sense has provialed on the name.  Looks like "Mordialloc Freeway" was just a project name, it is signed "Mornington Peninsula Freeway" as it should be, being an extension of the existing road.

Still dislike how the centre section of M11 is called "Peninsula Link".  I know that whole section is shadow tolled, but to the public, they don't care.  I'd rename the whole lot simply "Peninsula Freeway".

Wesley Au

Nov 11, 2021, 12:55:00 AM11/11/21
to Aussie Highways
I agree with you Adam. I also still think the entire M11 route should have retained the original M7 route number. It would make the C7xx route numbers in the Mornington Peninsula area more logical fit. However, they exist all around Melbourne, so it renders that logic moot.

I did find it romantic that the Dingley Bypass is SR87, though.

Brad Forbes

Nov 11, 2021, 1:10:12 AM11/11/21
to Aussie Highways

Adam

Nov 11, 2021, 2:00:18 AM11/11/21
to Aussie Highways
Great pics, I was too lazy.

Signage looks pretty good, but I dislike the lack of road name patches on Victorian signs still.

Paul R

Nov 15, 2021, 4:44:09 AM11/15/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Nice pix Brad.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Aevion

Nov 20, 2021, 6:28:22 AM11/20/21
to Aussie Highways

NumberMX

Nov 21, 2021, 2:39:01 AM11/21/21
to Aussie Highways
That second-last picture is peculiar. The sign at the back brightly displays B980 for the right turn (as do all the other photos), but the sign for the left turn (in the foreground) is covering up the route number. You can see the coverplate next to the "Cheltenham" there.

What's going on there?

Brad Forbes

Nov 22, 2021, 8:09:16 PM11/22/21
to Aussie Highways
Drove along the newly opened freeway today, interestingly two lanes each way.

More alphas are visible, C996 and C989 at the Thames Promenade exit.

Pictures below...

IMG_20211123_113432974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211123_113617496_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211123_114148229_HDR.jpgIMG_20211123_114252730_HDR.jpg

MisterMarcus

Nov 22, 2021, 11:26:30 PM11/22/21
to Aussie Highways
I really like how all the new freeway exit signs include destinations now.

Much clearer and more informative than saying only "Springvale Road" or whatever....

MisterMarcus

Nov 22, 2021, 11:27:47 PM11/22/21
to Aussie Highways
I also like the South Australian style black-coloured arch gantries.....