[OTish] Street View South Africa is now up

Winston

Jun 9, 2010, 6:23:58 AM6/9/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
As per the title of this thread.

http://maps.google.co.za/

I haven't really looked around much yet, but here's one of a freeway sign:
http://tinyurl.com/277rl5v

The alphanumeric route numbers remind me of Queensland's ones.

Trent Thomson

Jun 9, 2010, 5:24:23 PM6/9/10
to <aussie-highways@googlegroups.com>
This is good timing... I've been working on a few ideas for a signage scheme based heavily on SA standards.., this will help a lot!

Trent Thomson

Jun 9, 2010, 5:32:14 PM6/9/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Attached to this email are some samples of my progress to date...

Jun 9, 2010, 6:16:20 PM6/9/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trent,

Damn I really do like those mock ups. Really clean and clear. I wouldn't be complaining too much if they were used on Australian Roads. But I am sure QMR and the RTA will find a way to screw them up :)

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

<Freeway 3.png><Interchange 2.png>

Sam Laybutt

Jun 10, 2010, 12:14:56 AM6/10/10
to aussie highways
I kinda like the rural signage, e.g.
http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&ll=-31.653893,25.800877&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.654011,25.800956&panoid=NoxJcuo3wfwKgszDTIQRSQ&cbp=12,194.27,,0,14.23

I don't know anything about South African route numbering but I'm enjoying having a look through random rural towns. The N1 reminds me of Tasmania's Midland Highway.

From: paul...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:16:20 +1000
To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Trent,

Damn I really do like those mock ups. Really clean and clear. I wouldn't be complaining too much if they were used on Australian Roads. But I am sure QMR and the RTA will find a way to screw them up :)

Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK

Sam Laybutt

Jun 10, 2010, 12:20:20 AM6/10/10
to aussie highways
I found black signs! XD
http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&ll=-31.397312,26.360965&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.397246,26.361054&panoid=tIjWGWoNR_RceWTUbbL-iA&cbp=12,136.38,,1,4.89

From: crazykn...@hotmail.com
To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:14:56 +1000

I kinda like the rural signage, e.g.
http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&ll=-31.653893,25.800877&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.654011,25.800956&panoid=NoxJcuo3wfwKgszDTIQRSQ&cbp=12,194.27,,0,14.23

I don't know anything about South African route numbering but I'm enjoying having a look through random rural towns. The N1 reminds me of Tasmania's Midland Highway.

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 12:25:55 AM6/10/10
to <aussie-highways@googlegroups.com>
N = National road
M = Metropolitan road
R = Regional road

There are also T and S roads, most likely tourist/scenic routes.

Sam Laybutt

Jun 10, 2010, 12:28:30 AM6/10/10
to aussie highways

From: crazykn...@hotmail.com
To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:20:20 +1000
Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2010, 1:28:57 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Some very very nice finds. One thing that strikes me about ZA towns, there doesn't seem to be too many that are overly attractive.

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

B.J. Winzer

Jun 10, 2010, 4:15:21 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Me too :)
Although I'd use Aus shape speed limit signs.  And of course I'd still want MR/NR/NH shields where relevant ;)
But the designs are really well done - I like very much.

humehwy31

Jun 10, 2010, 5:30:37 AM6/10/10
to Aussie Highways
Thank you so much for letting us know Winston -- I've been waiting for
ZA Street View for a kak long time!

Wow ... the countryside .... it's like Australia's evil identical
twin. The same bright, boundless porcelain-blue skies, the same lonely
plains with worn, ancient-looking mountains in the distance, the same
wide-streeted little towns that look like they took a whole bottle of
Valium back in 1957 and are still yet to wake up.

The cities are very "Australian" too ... high-rise city centres,
sprawling low-density suburbs, electric suburban railway networks.
Like Australia, the cities don't have metro-wide road grids like you
find in the US and Canada.

Still, even though I'm interested in roads, I'm also interested in
urban design and social conditions. Which is the real reason why I
couldn't wait to see ZA in Street View. Soweto is certainly an eye-
opener - not as bad as I thought it would be, but I've seen worse in
my own country. I certainly didn't expect to find Mercedes parked in
front of Soweto houses either. Still, kerbing & guttering, street
lighting, street signage are very deficient, and there are unofficial
rubbish tips here and there.

The middle-class suburban areas .... if you squint, you can pretend
it's Baulkham Hills or Bulleen, but for the armed response company
signs on many of the houses. In the Cape Town suburb of Durbanville,
street names are painted onto the kerb, not placed on signs. I wonder
if that would be cheaper and more durable than signage?

Trent - the font used on South African road signs and in your mock-
ups .... is that based on DIN 1451 (the German standard)? ZA used to
use FHWA, but that changed to the current font a few years ago. And
what does the disc within a concentric circle mean?

And I've just found a reassurance stand-alone shield for a Jo'burg M-
route ...
http://maps.google.co.za/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=magaliesburg&sll=-28.45,24.7&sspn=19.218001,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Magaliesburg,+Gauteng&ll=-26.234302,27.889137&spn=0.154903,0.308647&z=12&layer=c&cbll=-26.231719,27.874547&panoid=w4NeoyReLCUx8gRbk-jB1A&cbp=12,132.28,,2,0.95

--Brad

On Jun 9, 8:23 pm, Winston <aussiehighw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As per the title of this thread.
>
> http://maps.google.co.za/
>
> I haven't really looked around much yet, but here's one of a freeway sign:
> *http://tinyurl.com/277rl5v*

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 5:44:41 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad

Yes, the font is DIN 1451 "Mittelschrift". The 'target' symbol denotes a business district. So in the interchange sequence sign below, all three exits serve Springwood but exit 82/Fitzgerald Ave is the best exit for the CBD.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7228/80751606.jpg

Trent

--Brad

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2010, 6:02:20 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

humehwy31

Jun 10, 2010, 6:54:17 AM6/10/10
to Aussie Highways
Has anyone found any FHWA signs yet apart from the black sign in
Molteno Sam found earlier? The only FHWA I've found is an M-route
reassurance marker in Hillbrow, in inner-city Jo'burg. I still haven't
found anything like this, however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N1_%28South_Africa%29,_Pretoria.jpg

On Jun 10, 8:02 pm, Paul Rands <paul00...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mix of old and new signals in Durbanville. Note the differing target boards
>
> http://maps.google.co.za/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Durbanville,+Wes...
>
> --
> Paul Rands
> paul00...@gmail.com
> >http://maps.google.co.za/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=magalie...

Winston

Jun 10, 2010, 6:58:56 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Look at the one I linked to in my original post ;).

http://tinyurl.com/277rl5v

>>> front of Soweto houses either. Still, kerbing& guttering, street

humehwy31

Jun 10, 2010, 7:02:44 AM6/10/10
to Aussie Highways
And here's me who thought he had checked out every link in the entire
thread ... stupid me. I now feel lank awkward ... like a real doos.
The jaapies at the braai next weekend will never let me forget it.

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 7:04:38 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
M2/M9 interchange in inner city Joburg. Note the street name (Rissikstr = Rissikstraat = Rissik St) is in Afrikaans, most signs I've seen are in English or use pictograms so they are language-neutral.

http://tinyurl.com/2dty6uj

I'm definitely not a font expert but this might be another? Looks very similar to what I found in Molteno before (and is close by).
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=molteno+ZA&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=55.47973,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Molteno,+Eastern+Cape,+South+Africa&ll=-31.408044,26.412463&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.423913,26.400777&panoid=K1htGdGHoWeMKdD7J7-E9Q&cbp=12,5.45,,0,10.71

I just love old direction signs. There's just something about them...

> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:54:17 -0700

> Subject: [Aussie Highways] Re: Street View South Africa is now up

> Has anyone found any FHWA signs yet apart from the black sign in
> Molteno Sam found earlier? The only FHWA I've found is an M-route
> reassurance marker in Hillbrow, in inner-city Jo'burg. I still haven't
> found anything like this, however:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N1_%28South_Africa%29,_Pretoria.jpg

Winston

Jun 10, 2010, 7:11:45 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Looks to me like FHWA Series EM. Interesting how they have two different coloured sets of chervons (i.e. yellow & black and white and red).

Sam Laybutt

Jun 10, 2010, 7:09:36 AM6/10/10
to aussie highways
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:07:09 +1000

I'm definitely not a font expert but this might be another? Looks very similar to what I found in Molteno before (and is close by).
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=molteno+ZA&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=55.47973,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Molteno,+Eastern+Cape,+South+Africa&ll=-31.408044,26.412463&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.423913,26.400777&panoid=K1htGdGHoWeMKdD7J7-E9Q&cbp=12,5.45,,0,10.71

I just love old direction signs. There's just something about them...

Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2010, 7:15:32 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yep thats FHWA

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 7:20:17 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2010, 7:20:12 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Notice on that link that many of the street light heads are missing?

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

Rob Tilley

Jun 10, 2010, 7:20:31 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Keep that fapping to a minimum lol

On Thursday, June 10, 2010, Sam Laybutt <crazykn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm definitely not a font expert but this might be another? Looks very similar to what I found in Molteno before (and is close by).

> molteno ZA <http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=molteno+ZA&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=55.47973,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Molteno,+Eastern+Cape,+South+Africa&ll=-31.408044,26.412463&spn=0,0.05476&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-31.423913,26.400777&panoid=K1htGdGHoWeMKdD7J7-E9Q&cbp=12,5.45,,0,10.71>

> I just love old direction signs. There's just something about them...
>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:54:17 -0700
>> Subject: [Aussie Highways] Re: Street View South Africa is now up
>> From: hume...@yahoo.com
>> To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com
>>
>> Has anyone found any FHWA signs yet apart from the black sign in
>> Molteno Sam found earlier? The only FHWA I've found is an M-route
>> reassurance marker in Hillbrow, in inner-city Jo'burg. I still haven't
>> found anything like this, however:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N1_%28South_Africa%29,_Pretoria.jpg
>

> Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live? <http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/>

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 7:23:05 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a good one at Sandton, featuring FHWA fonts. Strange thing is heading south the focals are in Afrikaans, heading north they are in English!

M1 South
http://tinyurl.com/28zyxgn

M1 North
http://tinyurl.com/2epar4z

It would appear the fonts weren't the only thing they changed recently. The sign layouts on older signs are more American too, with downward pointing arrows... newer gantry signs are diagrammatic:

N1 at Midrand
http://tinyurl.com/26goocg

Trent

humehwy31

Jun 10, 2010, 7:23:33 AM6/10/10
to Aussie Highways
I've seen quite a few Afrikaans-only signs around Cape Town, but
that's to be expected - the Western Cape is majority Afrikaans-
speaking.

And in Cape Town CBD, I've found this little bilingual gem:
http://maps.google.co.za/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cape+town&sll=-26.220751,28.019943&sspn=0.072995,0.154324&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cape+Town,+Western+Cape&ll=-33.923153,18.424888&spn=0.008368,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-33.923074,18.424776&panoid=CYTC0BI5-PqIzNgqNPtUwA&cbp=12,185.67,,2,1.4

Winston

Jun 10, 2010, 7:35:15 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I wonder what a speed limit sign with red outline and blue fill means...

http://tinyurl.com/23txwv3

It doesn't seem to be listed on that site.

Trent Thomson

Jun 10, 2010, 7:36:59 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

An error? Unless it means you must drive at exactly 100?

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2010, 7:35:30 AM6/10/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Might be an old sign

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

crazyknightsfan

May 14, 2013, 5:27:12 AM5/14/13
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Sam Laybutt

May 14, 2013, 5:32:29 AM5/14/13
to aussie highways
Yes it did, that's when the thread started.

> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:31:30 +1000
> From: sarcop...@iprimus.com.au
> To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Aussie Highways] Re: [OTish] Street View South Africa is now up
>
> Didn't this go live 2 years ago?
> I remember people on the list commenting on how clear the photos were
> compared to Australia.

Message has been deleted

Rob Tilley

May 14, 2013, 5:53:36 AM5/14/13
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Why start a new thread when we already have one?

On 14/05/2013, at 7:49 PM, B. J. Winzer <sarcop...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

Bumping a two-year-old thread?  Bad form dude...

(I delete anything more than a month old... don't need it... my 2c)

Paul Rands

May 14, 2013, 5:59:49 AM5/14/13
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
Oohh! Black signs with old fonts. Nice finds Sam. Has a hint of the Aussies about them

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

davis

May 14, 2013, 8:38:11 AM5/14/13
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Depends on the forum?

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:01:14 PM UTC+10, B.J. wrote:
Now you're just being oppositional.
Go ahead, try bumping old threads on online forums and see how far you get with the mods.

Rob Tilley

May 14, 2013, 8:47:21 AM5/14/13
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
On whingepool you get a kick up the arse for making duplicate threads, it makes searching and archiving a hell of a lot easier if its in the one thread.

Sent from my iPhone 5 on Telstra NextG

Paul Rands

May 14, 2013, 5:44:49 PM5/14/13
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
People just need to stop being precious. It's not going to end the world :)

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

Sam Laybutt

May 16, 2013, 3:51:24 AM5/16/13
to aussie highways
Another interesting one - rectangular sign but the border of a chevron. Old font?

Sam Laybutt

May 16, 2013, 3:57:14 AM5/16/13
to aussie highways

mubd1234

May 16, 2013, 10:45:04 AM5/16/13
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
They are quite inferior to other signs

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 17, 2021, 9:04:26 PM8/17/21
to Aussie Highways

Adrian Biankin

Aug 18, 2021, 6:46:16 AM8/18/21
to Aussie Highways
This is an old thread! 2010!

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 18, 2021, 8:54:09 PM8/18/21
to Aussie Highways
I don't see what's the harm in reviving old threads though. Having an example of AS1744/Highway Gothic fonts is really rare in South Africa, and none look so similar to ours