NSW Transport Archive updates

Aevion

Jul 31, 2021, 9:07:19 AM7/31/21
to Aussie Highways
Hi guys, just a heads up that they've added more images to the archive, mostly comprising of photos of the official openings for the duplicate Epping Road bridge over Lane Cove River and the second Tom Uglys Bridge, as well as a bunch of portrait photos of Laurie Brereton.....

Adrian Biankin

Aug 2, 2021, 2:41:02 AM8/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Argh... Still waiting on the F3 Pix and metroad signs...

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:26:39 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

F3, F5, F6 please.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Daniel Knott

Aug 2, 2021, 6:38:48 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 10:27:43 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:16:57 PM8/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Yeah he really got around during his time didn't he? Seems he was opening projects left right and centre in his relatively short tenure as Minister (from my count he was only topped by Duncan Gay), and he had to have his face on absolutely everything.

Leo Giusti

Aug 3, 2021, 5:04:48 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking forward to F6 and F/M4 pics. Also some Great Western Highway upgrade pictures as I never frequented the Blue Mountains until I moved up here well after the upgrades were finished.

There seems to be 3 or 4 groups of 'F3' photos on the site. There's a shit ton of Western Distributor construction photos. There's a small batch of the Edgeworth David Avenue overpass, a load from the Mooney Mooney Bride and then the Wyong bypass section plus the Doyalson Link Road.

Paul R

Aug 3, 2021, 10:46:58 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I am hoping for the some 60s-80s gold south of Ourimbah for the F3

But just keen to see the signage for F4, F5 and F6, and that lone F8 sign at Gwynneville.

Aevion

Aug 3, 2021, 12:15:11 PM8/3/21
to Aussie Highways
I'd love to see some F6 ones, particularly of the works south of Mount Ousley Road.

The Great Western Highway is also high on my wish list (and I love those new photos of the Bent Street Deviation), especially some of the bigger projects like Woodford Bends and Coxs River. Probably highest on my list is Windsor Road / Old Windsor Road prior to its upgrade.

Some more bridges wouldn't go amiss either, but I personally don't feel the need to ever see another photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the ANZAC Bridge.

Vincent

Aug 3, 2021, 11:40:03 PM8/3/21
to Aussie Highways
If you're interested in photos of the Great Western Highway, the Blue Mountains Library has a photostream on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_mountains_library_-_local_studies/with/51224630215/

Many of the photos are of local infrastructure and people, but there are a few good incidental shots of the GWH. The library also periodically adds new photos, but the rate of new additions has slowed over the past couple of years.

I'll also resend the link to NSW Spatial Services' Historical Imagery Viewer: https://portal.spatial.nsw.gov.au/portal/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=f7c215b873864d44bccddda8075238cb. The colour photographs from the late 1980s onwards are a great way of tracking alignment changes - I sussed out the old Woodford Bends alignment myself a little while ago, but there are plenty of historic aerial photographs from across the state.

Cheers,
Vincent

Aevion

Aug 12, 2021, 5:21:44 AM8/12/21
to Aussie Highways
Thanks Vincent, found a couple of nice photos on that gallery.

I've used the aerial imagery viewer a few times up there as well; helped a lot in trying to identify some of the more confusing multi-stage works done along the highway (Linden and Warrimoo/Blaxland mainly) and what works were actually undertaken with each stage.

Aevion

Sep 2, 2021, 10:20:37 PM9/2/21
to Aussie Highways
More stuff uploaded today, this time of the new Hunter River bridge at Singleton, inspections of the Armidale Bypass project (had no idea this one began in the 80's!), and a bunch of helicopter photos.... Again lots more Laurie Brereton (rolls eyes).

Vincent

Sep 2, 2021, 11:40:32 PM9/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Thanks Tyler! The Tom Uglys Bridge duplication photos a little further down are pretty cool too.

I can't place the building in Armidale - I swear I've passed it a thousand times but can't find it on StreetView now. Looks like a pretty popular design from the 80s so I might be thinking of somewhere else?

Sam L

Sep 2, 2021, 11:57:53 PM9/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It looks a shopping centre entry so the facade has probably been rebuilt twice since the photo was taken 🙂

Sep 3, 2021, 12:06:50 AM9/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, very possible Sam!

The shape vaguely reminds me of the entrance to Coles from Marsh street, which was on the highway until it was bypassed - https://goo.gl/maps/aEE3bW41A3iKnQV89. I think it's the wrong angle though?

Aevion

Oct 1, 2021, 5:48:45 AM10/1/21
to Aussie Highways
Another update today, consisting of photos of the construction of the City West Link (as well as the official opening of Stage 3 in 2000), various photos of Sydney Olympic Park during construction, and a few of Homebush Bay Drive. Not the most exciting material I have to admit, and I'm quite underwhelmed by this update.

Oh well....maybe next month will be better.

Vincent

Nov 2, 2021, 11:35:02 PM11/2/21
to Aussie Highways
I think the latest update is an improvement on last month! New pictures include:

- Stage 1 of the Eastern Distributor
- Construction/opening of the George Chaffey Bridge, Mildura
- Construction/opening of the Woy Woy Bridge
- Construction/opening of the Toukley Bridge
- Construction/opening of Yeaman Bridge, Katoomba

Cheers,
Vincent

Brendan Terrett

Nov 3, 2021, 2:52:14 AM11/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Sweet jesus that first model of the Eastern Distributor, no half-measures planned there!

104351-56.jpg

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/efe29f47-f3d3-42a0-a629-5d8a5328484dn%40googlegroups.com.

davis

Nov 3, 2021, 3:00:50 AM11/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Interesting how they tagged that Palmer Street underpass ("Eastern Distributor Stage 1" is typical DMR delusions of grandeur - look at that SATS-era model, where would that underpass have fitted into that? as one off-ramp) as an F7 project

davis

Nov 3, 2021, 3:02:43 AM11/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Way less dislocative than the Warringah Expressway!

Qwerty88

Nov 3, 2021, 3:52:27 AM11/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Thanks Vincent. It looks like the historical videos have been taken down?

Vincent Muller

Nov 3, 2021, 4:44:25 AM11/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Qwerty,

These are just the new additions. Not sure if the videos have been taken down, but the full collection is available here: https://historicalarchive.transport.nsw.gov.au/#carousel-captions

Cheers,
Vincent

Brendan Terrett

Nov 3, 2021, 6:41:01 AM11/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yup, all the videos have been taken down sadly...but I did manage to re-upload a few of them here:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/10ce89e2-c5aa-4f1f-b167-d5b219f1cecen%40googlegroups.com.

Aevion

Nov 3, 2021, 8:40:20 AM11/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Definitely a better submission this month; I personally found last month's update rather underwhelming. More than happy to deal with a few Laurie Brereton shots if it means getting some beautiful pics of roads and bridges, and I'm guessing there'll be more of him given it seems they're focusing on official opening ceremonies. If they're doing all of his ones first, we have a long way to go....

Sam L

Nov 3, 2021, 9:21:59 AM11/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It was Eastern Distributor at that time, rather than Eastern Freeway, as the DMR had officially given up on the F7 following the Wran Government cancellations.

From Ozroads:

A new proposal, subject to an Environmental Impact Statement during 1984/85, was announced by the Minister for Roads, Laurie Brereton, in April 1985. The proposed route would be constructed largely below ground and the air space offered for redevelopment, including housing. Construction was to take place in three stages: - “Stage 1, costing $6 million, provides for a two-lane underpass from Palmer Street beneath William St with the realignment of Stanley St between Palmer and Bourke Streets, provision of an additional lane in Flinders St and the widening of Bourke St at Taylor Square. Stage 2, costing $77 million, consists of a two-lane tunnel for southbound traffic from just north of William St to South Dowling St, Anzac Parade and Moore Park Rd. The Cahill Expressway intersection with Sir John Young Crescent will be realigned with an underpass at Cowper Wharf Road . Included in Stage 3, costing $33 million, is the tunnel for northbound traffic from Flinders St to William St underpass.” The whole project was to be completed by December 1992; however Stage 1 - the southbound underpass of William St - was the only section to have been built. Construction commenced on it in June 1986 and it was opened to traffic in December 1987. Rapidly escalating costs - the cost of the Eastern Distributor had risen from $70 million in April 1985 to $123 million in the 1985/86 DMR Annual Report - again stalled the project.

Of course we are now seeing the M5 East, M4 East, 'Johnstons Creek Route' and others all appearing as tunnelled Motorways.

Nov 4, 2021, 3:14:26 AM11/4/21
to Aussie Highways
Yeah, I mean the Archives people have tagged it Historical Route Number F7 in its asset entry.

Separately, it was ambitious for the DMR to consider something that was to, in their future schemes, one day be an entrance ramp as "Stage 1" of a project. More like "Stage 0.1"

Aevion

Nov 24, 2021, 11:26:15 PM11/24/21
to Aussie Highways
Another update just gone up; just a bunch of photos of RTA events and functions. Debated not even mentioning there was an update to be honest.......really underwhelmed by this one.

Vincent Muller

Dec 1, 2021, 6:35:56 PM12/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A few good additions this month, including construction of the Kings Cross Tunnel, and the Western Distributor, as well as photos of the Pyrmont Bridge during its decommissioning, and (for some reason?) Central station.

Frankly I was surprised to see new additions at the end of November, it looks like Transport is regularly releasing new material at the beginning of each month.

Cheers,
Vincent

Aevion

Dec 2, 2021, 12:05:37 AM12/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Weren't those ones part of the previous two releases? The only ones I can see in the new release section are the ones taken at a bunch of RTA events and such.

Vincent Muller

Dec 2, 2021, 4:43:48 PM12/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
That's really weird? The images were there yesterday afternoon when I posted but they're gone now. I feel like a fool 😂 will let you know if they put the photos back up, if you don't see them first.

Aevion

Dec 3, 2021, 3:19:51 AM12/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Hopefully they do; would be nice to see some actual road ones this time and not just random events or portraits. Though I don't mind the official opening ceremonies on there as they tend to come with a whole bunch of awesome photos of the project itself as well.

Adrian Biankin

Dec 28, 2021, 2:38:56 AM12/28/21
to Aussie Highways
New update!

Some cool pics of the Mt Victoria pass and some ariel pics of the Habour Bridge.

Aevion

Feb 5, 2022, 3:09:33 AM2/5/22
to Aussie Highways
New update :)

This time loads of great photos of the Gore Hill Freeway and the Colo River Bridge on Putty Road. Very pleased with this update!

Vincent Muller

Feb 9, 2022, 12:44:53 AM2/9/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tyler - some good signage in the Gore Hill Freeway pics!

I've seen aerial photographs of the pre-freeway days when traffic from the bridge was seemingly just dumped on the Pacific Highway? Man that must have been a pain in the arse during peak hour.

Aevion

Feb 10, 2022, 12:32:23 AM2/10/22
to Aussie Highways
I guess it probably would've been similar to the M4 ending at Concord? Parramatta Road looks like a nightmare during peak times, and I have a feeling that will continue even after the rest of the Westconnex project is opened.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't build the Gore Hill Freeway when they were doing the adjoining section of the Warringah Expressway. It can't have been too fun using local roads to get back to Pacific Highway.

Adrian Biankin

Apr 18, 2022, 2:15:43 AM4/18/22
to Aussie Highways
New update!

They created some new albums.I’ve also noticed that they added some new pics of the Mooney Mooney Crk Bridge construction and opening
Message has been deleted