Brad's Amazing Super Duper Western Queensland Road Trip!

humehwy31

Jul 19, 2011, 5:02:05 AM7/19/11
to Aussie Highways
Hi everyone ...

From Thursday midday through to Sunday evening, I went on a four-day,
1637km roadtrip through Western Queensland. The route I took is as
follows:

DAY 1:
* Metroad 5, SR29, Old Northern Rd, SR40, Bridgeman Rd, SR40 to
Carseldine
* M1 and A1 (Bruce Hwy) to Gympie
* SR49 (Wide Bay Hwy and Bunya Hwy) to Kingaroy

DAY 2:
* SR49 (Bunya Hwy) and Bunya Mountains Rd to the Bunya Mountains
National Park
* Bunya Mountains Rd and SR49 (Bunya Hwy) to Dalby
* SR49 (Moonie Hwy) to St George

DAY 3:
* A55 (Carnarvon Hwy), NR46 (Carnarvon Hwy), SR85 (Barwon Hwy) to
Goondiwindi
* NR42 (Cunningham Hwy) to Inglewood
* SR89 to Stanthorpe
* NH15 (New England Hwy) to Warwick

DAY 4:
* NR42 (Cunningham Hwy) to Karara
* SR48 to Cambooya
* A3 (New England Hwy) to Toowoomba and Hampton
* SR85 to Esk
* NR17 (Brisbane Valley Hwy), A2, M2 (Warrego Hwy), M2, M7, M5 and
Metroad 5 home.

Photos can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/humehwy31/July2011WesternQueenslandTrip#

Unfortunately it rained three days out of four on my trip - so many of
the pics are definitely sub-standard quality.

I have plenty of observations too which didn't make it onto my camera.
Far too many for me to type in one hit. Some off the top of my
head ...

* I love the new VMSs between Nambour and Gympie. Twice, people
sitting on my back while I was sitting on the speed limit on cruise
control were told "YOU are tailgating. Back off!" Which they did. Love
it :)

* I have now, thanks to my trip, formulated Brad's Law Of Queensland
Road Signage: "The average quality of Queensland road signs is
directly proportional to the distance from the Brisbane General Post
Office." The signs out west are actually half-decent most of the time.

* The Barwon Highway ... I wish there was a Dislike button. From
Nindigully to Talwood, it's OK. From Goondiwindi to about 25km from
town, it's OK. But 90% of the rest is just horrible. I well remember
one section across a floodplain. There was a sheer drop of about six
feet either side of the road, with no shoulder and no guardrail -
nothing except guideposts. It wouldn't have been so bad but there was
absolutely no crossfall on the road surface at all. It had been
raining heavily, so the water was just sitting there. Hello,
aquaplane! The last place in the world you want to aquaplane. It was
like ice-skating on a hotel bar. And then a roadtrain came from the
other direction. Ouch. Even without that floodplain section, there
were all these wheel ruts full of water, the broken shoulders, the
potholes, the undulations in the road - Yuck.

* The Moonie Highway between Dalby and St George has a 110km/h speed
limit, except for short bits around Moonie and other settlements.
Silly me forgot to get photographic evidence of this, so you'll just
have to take my word for it!

I look forward to your comments and corrections!

--Brad

Sam Laybutt

Jul 19, 2011, 6:09:27 AM7/19/11
to aussie highways
Hi Brad

The roads out in the western Darling Downs have taken a pounding thanks to the recent rain and flooding - the Barwon Highway was underwater when I stayed in Goondiwindi in January so I didn't make it to St George (and a week later Goondiwindi itself was nearly underwater so glad I missed that!) so that has probably contributed to the pavement issues.

Onto your pics....

Appreciate you getting shots showing SR40 still on the dog-leg, wonder how long till they fix it?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MCyBKkn--S0/TiRNbFtDQnI/AAAAAAAAEco/ZOg7PrpwLWU/s912/100_2920.jpg
The topknot wasn't there originally so I'm glad that someone has noticed that SR40 signage was missing and has fixed it!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-md4UmXbFqac/TiRNeHZR79I/AAAAAAAAEcs/GDro9wDC5qU/s912/100_2921.jpg
yuck...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bWSK5MBifdo/TiRNkbENvRI/AAAAAAAAEc0/W9J6pWaR5rY/s912/100_2924.jpg
This looks a lot like the new signs on the Newell Highway for the wider centreline treatment

No pics between Cooroy and Gympie - did you notice any construction underway?

re: SR49 - I can't believe how retarded the DTMR are. Most signs along that highway are less than 5 years old. So why do some show SR49 and others not? And why is any reference to SR49 completely absence from the key turns in Goomeri and at the Burnett/Bunya junction. Facepalm!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qnQtK2Yzhjc/TiROYR0rZYI/AAAAAAAAEeE/JdZlgAUH0eo/s912/100_2948.jpg
Trent might be able to correct me but I'm pretty sure Kingaroy Line was closed in 2008 or 2009. When I went through in December 2009 there were already fences up across the line in a couple of locations.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cVcjIWT6klg/TiRPUHjm1GI/AAAAAAAAEfc/n5nGkIX2ZpQ/s912/100_2972.jpg
Another facepalm - brand new sign but why was the shield not included (with the road name)???

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jOvdXkI_Huk/TiRPUkQ2_EI/AAAAAAAAEfg/TCYJdZKHA88/s912/100_2973.jpg
So we found one of the missing shields? haha

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-36XR2Ouy5_o/TiRQLJ3yNtI/AAAAAAAAEgw/icQHRgkk5LQ/s912/100_2996.jpg
I can't believe how well designed this sign is! Looks like you're in NSW...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eUIR014LX9o/TiRQNrRvXQI/AAAAAAAAEg0/P3ytMp4cbxc/s912/100_2997.jpg
A hazard triangle upside down?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d8u8RIWG6wY/TiRRSnA1iCI/AAAAAAAAEi8/M-9BNHelYic/s912/100_3028.jpg
I always wondered about why these signs show SR87 - I think they tried to borrow something from Tassie or the UK but didn't bring the parenthesis?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DZe2AufGOp0/TiRRXZ4GU2I/AAAAAAAAEjA/PTLzlRHubVU/s912/100_3032.jpg
SR87 obviously an afterthought here...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3NeykuLS2tI/TiRRYaQurnI/AAAAAAAAEjE/EfGxTfbRlkQ/s912/100_3033.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zCtu5wv8vkI/TiRRrN-lVXI/AAAAAAAAEjg/idkmBDAtLJk/s912/100_3042.jpg
lols...I find the Moonie Highway interesting as it was a rare 'new build' road in the 1950s. It wasn't a deviation of anything, they just went ahead and built 260-odd kms of new road

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K8MOVMciiLw/TiTgQCyALJI/AAAAAAAAEjs/6D4Rm7I3sk0/s912/100_3046.jpg
That's one ugly sign. I wonder how these guys manage to set the table for dinner? I'd probably end up with 6 forks and no knife

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hqKZJ1olNoI/TiThOjmkWmI/AAAAAAAAElM/dzlOE8WiSqk/s912/100_3070.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qT4-VdrXZ2k/TiThPgxiH-I/AAAAAAAAElQ/gLCoB-w12_U/s912/100_3071.jpg
A pet hate of mine - inconsistent focals! grrr...drives me nuts (yes, I probably need to get a life). So you see Lightning Ridge on the RD sign then get to the turnoff and no mention of it! Hope you are prepared for a long detour via Collarenebri.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tZpQV_ik1J4/TiThS5vesgI/AAAAAAAAElU/ozkBicKAFsU/s912/100_3072.jpg
Oh wait! Slam on the brakes and turn right after all. Facepalm!
Also agree, it shouldn't be on a brown panel. Retards.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4f66H9RWEpM/TiThXSRVgpI/AAAAAAAAElc/-RRWJ2k8IJY/s912/100_3074.jpg
Brand new, not quite right, but a good try. Better than the previous signs....

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7lMoOnkdZi8/TiThhqUmpmI/AAAAAAAAEls/bh6ZoQEZh88/s912/100_3076.jpg
Interesting....I would probably say that its A55 behind there. A screw up rather than hiding a forthcoming alpha...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fu3heL2cADw/TiTh7-G5tzI/AAAAAAAAEmQ/7jr2UeDVF9o/s912/100_3088.jpg
Why does this say (A5) instead of NH39? It's because whoever designed this sign scheme is incompetent.

https://picasaweb.google.com/humehwy31/July2011WesternQueenslandTrip#5630874257526514018
Just a note on your caption, I don't think it was ever a National Highway or if it was, it was only briefly (a few months)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RVfhEElizDE/TiTizs79gOI/AAAAAAAAEno/b4ZNXIFJ3s8/s912/100_3118.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x4eUVNanku8/TiTi78LGtCI/AAAAAAAAEn4/nwDG-DKe-GE/s912/100_3120.jpg
(and most other signs in Texas)
The less said, the better

Nice to see some pics of SR48, haven't driven that one yet!

Thanks for posting these Brad.

Cheers

> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 02:02:05 -0700
> Subject: [Aussie Highways] Brad's Amazing Super Duper Western Queensland Road Trip!
> From: hume...@yahoo.com
> To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Rob Tilley

Jul 19, 2011, 6:22:57 AM7/19/11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

No pics between Cooroy and Gympie - did you notice any construction underway?

A section of the Bruce now travels along a part of the eastern end of the new section, a lot is nearing completion,  if i can bothered i might go for a gallop up the road tomorrow and get a few fap snaps lol.

Rob

Tyler Bullock

Jul 19, 2011, 6:24:48 AM7/19/11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
That would be part one of the Cooroy-Curra bypass, am I right?

From: yobbor...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Aussie Highways] Brad's Amazing Super Duper Western Queensland Road Trip!
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:22:57 +1000
To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com

No pics between Cooroy and Gympie - did you notice any construction underway?

A section of the Bruce now travels along a part of the eastern end of the new section, a lot is nearing completion,  if i can bothered i might go for a gallop up the road tomorrow and get a few fap snaps lol.

Rob

Rob Tilley

Jul 19, 2011, 6:27:29 AM7/19/11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yep the Traveston Dam section

humehwy31

Jul 19, 2011, 6:29:10 AM7/19/11
to Aussie Highways
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your prompt comments .... in response:

* Yes, craploads of construction between Cooroy and Gympie. Some very
impressive earthworks, including this stretch where they've removed
half of a mountain, with lots of impressive berms down the side of
what remains, that would put any Aztec temple or Parsee ziggurat to
shame. Unfortunately traffic was too heavy for me to take pics, or
even pull over onto the shoulder and take pics (because it would have
taken ages for me to safely rejoin the traffic stream).

* If the Kingaroy Line has closed, somebody at QR forgot to retrieve
the dozens of hoppers just sitting there at Wondai!

* You say the Moonie Hwy was a built-as-new road in the 1950s ... was
it built because of the infant oil & gas industry in the Moonie area
by any chance? Though the oil fields weren't developed until the early
1960s IIRC.

* About NR42 being a National Highway once ... I'm only going by 1990s
maps. When I first visited the area in March 1998, the NH designation
had already been moved to NH85 Gore Hwy. So I've never seen NH42 in
person - was just going by atlases and maps. Silly me!

Cheers,
Brad.

On Jul 19, 8:09 pm, Sam Laybutt <crazyknights...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7lMoOnkdZi8/TiThhqUmpmI/AAAAAAAAEl...
> Interesting....I would probably say that its A55 behind there. A screw up rather than hiding a forthcoming alpha...
>
> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fu3heL2cADw/TiTh7-G5tzI/AAAAAAAAEm...
> Why does this say (A5) instead of NH39? It's because whoever designed this sign scheme is incompetent.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/humehwy31/July2011WesternQueenslandTrip#...
> Just a note on your caption, I don't think it was ever a National Highway or if it was, it was only briefly (a few months)
>
> https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RVfhEElizDE/TiTizs79gOI/AAAAAAAAEn...https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x4eUVNanku8/TiTi78LGtCI/AAAAAAAAEn...
> (and most other signs in Texas)
> The less said, the better
>
> Nice to see some pics of SR48, haven't driven that one yet!

Sam Laybutt

Jul 19, 2011, 8:51:34 AM7/19/11
to aussie highways
> * You say the Moonie Hwy was a built-as-new road in the 1950s ... was
> it built because of the infant oil & gas industry in the Moonie area
> by any chance? Though the oil fields weren't developed until the early
> 1960s IIRC.

Not 100% sure why it was built but it did open up a large area of country and provide a saving of about 70km for journeys between Brisbane and the south west.

> * About NR42 being a National Highway once ... I'm only going by 1990s
> maps. When I first visited the area in March 1998, the NH designation
> had already been moved to NH85 Gore Hwy. So I've never seen NH42 in
> person - was just going by atlases and maps. Silly me!

No worries. There was some indecision over the route to be taken between Goondiwindi and Brisbane. It took 11 months but they finally decided on the Gore Highway route. I don't think that signage along NH42 would have changed in the meantime but this might explain why mapping companies got it wrong.

Brombeer

Jul 19, 2011, 3:09:39 PM7/19/11
to Aussie Highways
Wonderful story Brad. I've taken the liberty to post a link on the
Dutch roads forum (wegenforum.nl).

Mees

Michael Greenslade

Jul 19, 2011, 11:42:36 PM7/19/11
to Aussie Highways
Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting - great trip - especially like your commentary!

My comments:

* I also lament at the lack of SR49 shields & focal points there are
at major junctions. The whole arrangement of signs around Goomeri
should be re-done.

* While you like the SR89 indication at Dalby (47km of upcoming
notice), I find it irritating as that level of detail (competence) is
missing elsewhere in QLD.

* The brown "Lightning Ridge" is ridiculous. Reminds me of this sign
on the A13 in South Australia:

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~krool/photos/sa/Willunga-A13.jpg

* The state border sign at Texas is a good find!

* The whole arrangement at Goondiwindi is just horrible. I was there a
few months back and took a swag of pics. I was going to write a
separate post about it.

> * Yes, craploads of construction between Cooroy and Gympie. Some very
> impressive earthworks, including this stretch where they've removed
> half of a mountain, with lots of impressive berms down the side of
> what remains, that would put any Aztec temple or Parsee ziggurat to
> shame.

LOL Brad.

Unfortunately traffic was too heavy for me to take pics, or
> even pull over onto the shoulder and take pics (because it would have
> taken ages for me to safely rejoin the traffic stream).

It can be crazy between Cooroy and Gympie. The 4 lane highway cant
come soon enough!

Cheers,
Michael