Prospect Highway

Aevion

Aug 7, 2021, 6:43:52 AM8/7/21
to Aussie Highways
Hey, does anyone know when the Prospect Highway name was extended south to Wetherill Park? Only noticed it just tonight on Google Maps and assumed it was a typo, but even on the ground the signs have been changed.

Sam L

Aug 7, 2021, 9:13:08 AM8/7/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I didn't realise it had changed either. A bit of digging and I found this:

Government Gazette 5/3/2015

Aug 7, 2021, 10:06:00 AM8/7/21
to Aussie Highways
Thanks Sam!

I wonder if this was some sort of plan by the Holroyd City Council to promote the usage of this route to access Blacktown rather than Gipps Road and Greystanes Road? To me it appears to be a much better route than the latter two. Only built fairly recently too if I'm not mistaken.

It seems Fairfield City Council weren't interested in doing the same as the name appears to end at the council border.

ed24f1

Aug 7, 2021, 10:11:05 AM8/7/21
to Aussie Highways
With the widening project underway it just the Seven Hills Rd South missing link next and maybe even an alpha!

Sam L

Aug 7, 2021, 11:08:22 AM8/7/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Pure speculation, but I think the name Reconciliation Drive may always have been intended as a temporary name pending the completion of the road. The first section south from Reservoir Rd was constructed quite a long time ago, but the connection to Wetherill Park was only opened in December 2013. I recall the road sat there basically complete for a couple of years before the road reserve etc was sorted out and it opened to the public.

In Action for Transport 2010 it was supposed to be constructed with a Transitway along it.

Sent: Saturday, 7 August 2021 10:06 PM
To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Aussie Highways] Prospect Highway

Aevion

Aug 7, 2021, 11:37:25 AM8/7/21
to Aussie Highways
A whole new arterial from Cumberland Highway to Old Windsor Road.....now that'd be something. Arguably the most interesting part would be seeing what they'd do to get it through Wetherill Park to the Cumberland Highway. Would be perfect along the newly-upgraded Wetherill Street.

Wouldn't be too hard to extend the name further north; just construct the missing link and extend the name along Abbott Road before running it directly onto the M2 so it ends on a motorway rather than a road! Then a nice shiny new alpha number to top it off.

I swear I don't dream up new roads when I'm tired.....

barbs

Aug 8, 2021, 2:30:24 AM8/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Probably wouldn't go down Wetherill St as its basically banned for trucks using it.
According to google maps Prospect Hwy does continue up Abbott Road to the M2, but I dont know if this is accurate.

Nihat

Aug 8, 2021, 4:28:46 AM8/8/21
to Aussie Highways
According to street view it stops at the intersection of station rd/johnson ave not continuing to the M2. But it does bring the question as to a missing section between blacktown rd and where it reappears at wall park ave. quite confusing.

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 8, 2021, 5:45:12 AM8/8/21
to Aussie Highways
a solution to the missing link can be done as below. So Blacktown Rd gets cut off, and Main street gets extended.
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 19.32.04.png

Sam L

Aug 8, 2021, 5:49:44 AM8/8/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The missing link was never constructed and unsure if it ever will be. The road reserve is quite visible alongside Seven Hills Road South, and then from Leabons Lane across to Blacktown Road.

I'm not sure whether the Council genuinely anticipated construction of the missing link would occur imminently, or whether they named the two missing sections as a bit of a political move to press for funding to complete the missing link. This was 1991 and 1992 when the two sections were named.

Aug 10, 2021, 3:23:02 AM8/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The missing link as noted (plus continues along Seven Hills Rd south which is currently 1 lane in each direction):

image.png

AlienChex

Aug 10, 2021, 5:07:24 AM8/10/21
to Aussie Highways

There is also a reserve in Weatherill park that would allow a seamless west-bound connection to the Horsley drive, maybe the more realistic intention of the project?

I assume this can go with the Horsley drive widening to bring the Prospect Hwy all the way to the M7
F298DCD8-7F4F-4BA7-8E0E-1E1CFFE315C1.jpeg
201EE9ED-303B-4DFE-926E-B1E0E2A8CDD4.jpeg

ed24f1

Aug 10, 2021, 5:16:44 AM8/10/21
to Aussie Highways
In the REF for the widening project they even have a site compound in the future corridor named as such; "Site on vacant land at future Seven Hills Road corridor link."

Unsurprisingly they had lots of questions in the submissions report about the missing link which they disregarded although did say that the project is being done with that in mind for the future.

Sam L

Aug 10, 2021, 11:11:47 AM8/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
What you're looking at is the reserved corridor for the 'Prospect Arterial', most of which ended up being used for the Liverpool-Parramatta Transitway (from Prospect Creek to Victoria Street, and from The Horsley Drive to Hoxton park Road). I'm not aware of any current planning to turn this into an arterial road, but you'd think there would be some value on the extension from Prospect Creek to The Horsley Drive at least.

Aug 10, 2021, 10:14:01 PM8/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Ooh that's something I was unaware of too

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 10, 2021, 10:34:09 PM8/10/21
to Aussie Highways
But if the missing link was ever constructed, it'll split Blacktown road apart.

AlienChex

Aug 11, 2021, 12:57:53 AM8/11/21
to Aussie Highways
Works for me. They can always rename the southern section to “Blacktown Road South” (same principle as Seven Hills Rd). This would allow Prospect Hwy to be on seamlessly named road from M2 to M4, instead of a two-part road which is never mentioned between Wall Park Ave and Blacktown Rd