Albany Ring Road

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 18, 2021, 7:24:47 AM6/18/21
to Aussie Highways
While the Albany Ring Road is still a while away to open, I'm still confused on why Menang Drive will not be upgraded. Well, since a truck going on NR1 who would want to get past Albany would want to use the ring road. But since the ring road is only starting at S30, what's the purpose of this entire project if this is only going to get you from WNR1 to S30 or vice versa, when a purpose of a bypass when it's only half complete and then you're whipped onto a smaller 90km/h road rather than a 110?

And finally, are there any plans to upgrade Menang Road and it's me who couldn't find any information, so are there currently none?

Sam Laybutt

Jun 18, 2021, 7:33:50 AM6/18/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Menang Drive was built as Stage 1 of the Albany Ring Road some years ago, and is already well used by trucks carting logs to the timber processing facilities and other industrial uses at Mirambeena, north of Albany.

There is very little truck traffic bypassing Albany towards Denmark and vice versa; the main purpose of the ring road is to get trucks from South Coast Highway (Jerramungup), Chester Pass Road and Albany Highway into the Port without passing having to trundle down through the urban area and big roundabout.

I'm not sure what 110km/h zones you're referring to as both South Coast Highway and Chester Pass Road are 80km/h inside the ring road, and 60km/h in the urban area itself.

There is a proposal to partially grade-separate the Chester Pass Road/Menang Drive intersection to provide a free-flow right turn onto the ring road but it's not funded.

Jun 18, 2021, 11:11:10 AM6/18/21
to Aussie Highways
Menang Drive not 110km/h?

Sam Laybutt

Jun 18, 2021, 11:13:02 AM6/18/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It's 90km/h, which I imagine the rest of the ring road will be too.

Sent: Friday, 18 June 2021 9:49 PM
To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Aussie Highways] Albany Ring Road

Menang Drive not 110km/h?

Paul Rands

Jun 19, 2021, 12:11:13 AM6/19/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I will fire up the laptop in coming days and upload the pix I grabbed of the Menang Dr extension construction works.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 20, 2021, 5:42:10 AM6/20/21
to Aussie Highways
also, would Nat. Route 1 be rerouted, or would the bypass get a new number or vice versa. I'm genuinely curious since the route inside Albany is pretty significant.

Hopefully, if it does get a new route number, it's WA's first alpha

Paul Rands

Jun 20, 2021, 10:02:35 AM6/20/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

MRWA don't change their route numbers all that often it would seem. Chances are NR1 will still end up going through Albany. I wouldn't expect a route number change, unless there was a full review. Classic example is SR2 at Lake Clifton, SR4 at Muchea