End of the road for traffic light top caps in NSW?

Vincent

Jul 22, 2022, 11:45:27 PM7/22/22
to Aussie Highways
Hi everyone,

In trawling the more recent Streetview imagery around NSW, I'm noticing an increasing number of intersections using square poles exclusively for all traffic signals, not just overhead signals as was previously the case.

The square poles don't have top caps at all - examples include here, at the intersection of Lake Entrance Road & Warilla Road, Shellharbour - https://goo.gl/maps/LfecimcRJidR1KDp7, and here, at the intersection of Springhill Road & Five Islands Road, Cringilla - https://goo.gl/maps/BgsmC5UnbDFw7XN6A.

Have the design standards changed recently? I did have a look a little while ago but couldn't find anything definitive. If standards have changed, I guess we'll be spotting remnant round poles in the same way we clock relic yellow and green poles now :)

Cheers,
Vincent.

davis

Jul 23, 2022, 2:18:25 AM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Why were those intersections' signals reconstructed?

They're definitely still using round poles in rewires/refits to add turn signals for pedestrian safety in Sydney. You can also see plenty of round poles in new installs on the Northern Road upgrade with similar ages of installs and Street View.

Want to go check the list chronologically? https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/traffic-lights-location Though it is a year out of date at this point.

Paul Rands

Jul 23, 2022, 5:50:32 AM7/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

They have appeared on low voltage installations in the ACT as well. That said, they've also done normal poles with dark blue finial caps for low voltage as well

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Vincent Muller

Jul 23, 2022, 6:56:25 PM7/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
From what I can tell, the Lake Entrance Road/Shellharbour Road intersection was redone to remove the short pole in the left turn slip lane. Springhill Road & Five Island Road was redone when the overhead signal was installed.

I've also seen installs from the past 2-3 years with round poles - the Great Western Highway/Bayonet Street/Ninda Place intersection in Lithgow comes to mind. I'll go through the full list if I ever have enough free time, but if it's a choice between using round and square poles at any given intersection, I wonder what the criteria is?