Spring Farm Parkway, Menangle - new Hume Mwy interchange

Henry Ung

Jun 28, 2022, 5:06:30 AM6/28/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

The announcement of construction of the Spring Farm Parkway interchange at Menangle was on the news today.

Stage 1 doesn't really go anywhere at the moment but stage 2 is expected to connect with Liz Kernohan Drive at Spring Farm, therefore forming another east-west link from Camden Bypass to Menangle Road.
I suppose this will be designated exit 7.

Henry.

Sam L

Jun 28, 2022, 5:50:56 AM6/28/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Like many, my first question was "Why no south-facing ramps?"

So I had a look a the RMS Submissions Report (October 2019):

Apparently the interchange will function up until 2026 and then...??

Jun 28, 2022, 6:52:29 AM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
So the interchange will function like this for about 2-3 years? Great job RMS....

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 28, 2022, 11:16:29 AM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
it should ideally be numbered exit 21 though ;-)

Jokes aside, I'm curious what'll happen after 2026. Are they going to revamp the entire interchange? Or build south-facing ramps?

AlienChex

Jun 28, 2022, 6:00:05 PM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
This seems like more poor planning. It’ll cost more to rebuild the southbound lanes than to just knock it out in one swing and build the whole intersection correctly the first time.

Good to see there’s at least gonna be another exit between narellan road and Picton road. For the growing area down south that’s a long distance to force cars onto the old roads

Nihat

Jun 28, 2022, 8:43:06 PM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
Yes this is also one of the main reasons to build this interchange, any accident along this stretch results in a long detour. By the time it gets built the south facing ramps will be needed, doesn't make any sense.

Luke W

Jun 28, 2022, 9:40:38 PM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
> Stage 1 doesn't really go anywhere at the moment

I'm surprised they aren't doing Spring Farm Parkway as one lot (aside from having to deal with two councils), but currently this is merely to provide relief to the big development going in at Menangle Park, and at least one going into Menangle itself - they would currently have to use Narellan Road right now and getting from there to Menangle Park right now was... appropriate with the small population, certainly not once Menangle Park is full.

The 2026 planning seems short-sighted but I think the size of the bridge, especially once it's connected to Spring Farm, will probably be seen as more important than south-facing ramps - outside of peak hour, TfNSW probably see Narellan Road as "sufficient". But it also seems like they're having a bet each way about whether the most important (and cost-effective) connection will be this one, or connecting any potential link to Gilead and Appin (where other developments are also going in) which would likely be a part of the M10 corridor - but given that's some time away, I sorta have my doubts about whether they'll have enough time to ponder that option before they'll have to make some sort of move on it either way.

Given the TfNSW guidance about is still "we doesn't do exit numbering", I doubt they'll bother giving it a number - although they easily could.

Luke W

Jun 28, 2022, 9:42:27 PM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
"We don't do exit numbering" rather, yikes where are my words going today. :')