Unused reservation?

Adrian Biankin

Aug 31, 2022, 7:55:57 PM8/31/22
to Aussie Highways
I was looking through the ePlanning Spatial viewer and going through Sydney, looking for unused reservations and noticed a reservation near St Helens Park. It starts at Appin Rd and ends abruptly at Cambridge Ave. In the reservation, it looks like it would've had a couple of interchanges.
reservation.PNG

Lachlan Sims

Sep 1, 2022, 12:30:06 AM9/1/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This road corridor is/was known as the Georges River Parkway/Expressway and its concept dates back to the long term planning put in place for the Campbelltown area in the 1970s.  I believe it is actually intended to extend to connect to the M5 near Glenfield.

The corridor runs through some highly scenic and ecological areas, so there's a good chance it will never be built.

It's still occasionally referenced in long term planning documents such as:

Lachlan

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 9:55 AM Adrian Biankin <abia...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was looking through the ePlanning Spatial viewer and going through Sydney, looking for unused reservations and noticed a reservation near St Helens Park. It starts at Appin Rd and ends abruptly at Cambridge Ave. In the reservation, it looks like it would've had a couple of interchanges.
reservation.PNG

Paul Rands

Sep 1, 2022, 6:26:42 AM9/1/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I would expect Appin Rd would end up being upgraded instead. In saying that, it passes through sensitive koala habitat, so even upgrades along that corridor would be interesting

Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
http://www.expressway.online/

#130km/hforthehume

Sep 1, 2022, 7:53:38 AM9/1/22
to Aussie Highways
I see more merit in upgrading Picton Road instead, possibly to a motorway as many in the area have requested. I wouldn't want a freeway cutting through a national park, even if it's only a few hundred metres.

Paul Rands

Sep 1, 2022, 9:40:08 AM9/1/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Upgrading Picton Rd doesn't solve the issue of moving traffic thousands of new houses going in between Cambelltown and Appin, east of Appin Road

Aevion

Sep 1, 2022, 9:49:09 AM9/1/22
to Aussie Highways
Isn't this happening in the near future?

AlienChex

Sep 3, 2022, 2:38:21 AM9/3/22
to Aussie Highways
Realistically Appin Road needs to be upgraded but this still funnels all this new traffic and dumps it onto Narellan Road towards the Hume Motorway

AlienChex

Sep 3, 2022, 2:40:35 AM9/3/22
to Aussie Highways
What’s needed is an extra link road from Appin road to spring farm parkway where it’ll connect to the Hume highway