M4 to M8 Westconnex link opening this Friday

Henry

Jan 18, 2023, 3:58:05 PM1/18/23
to Aussie Highways
Hey all,

The opening of the M4 to M8 Motorway link as part of the Westconnex is opening this Friday: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/new-7-5km-westconnex-tunnels-set-to-open-under-inner-west-20230118-p5cdlq.html

This is the section between the Haberfield and St Peters interchanges. The Rozelle interchange and the Iron Cove link are still under construction and is expected to open later this year.

Henry

Nihat

Jan 18, 2023, 9:06:35 PM1/18/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yep very quick opening. Those connecting projects and Sydney Gateway will really complete the links and make it much more worthwhile.

Vincent

Jan 20, 2023, 2:09:42 PM1/20/23
to Aussie Highways
This will be a great step for the Sydney Orbital Network. I had to get to the airport from North Strathfield on Tuesday and there was a bit of mucking around to get down King Georges Road and the M5 - fortunately there wasn't much traffic but it would be a real pain if something went wrong.

What I can't figure out is how you'd get to the airport from the end of the M8. As far as I can see you get deposited onto Gardeners Road, then you have to do a dog-leg through Kent/Coward/Bourke/O'Riordan? Seems a bit counter-intuitive after all of that new motorway, or is that going to be fixed by one of these new WestConnex sections?

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing a drive-through of the new tunnels when someone gets a chance.

Cheers,
Vincent

Nihat

Jan 20, 2023, 6:31:25 PM1/20/23
to Aussie Highways
Yep there's a few traffic lights to get through, those intersections have been upgraded I think but not ideal having to wait about a year until Sydney Gateway is complete to get free flow access to the terminals.

davis

Jan 21, 2023, 12:26:59 AM1/21/23
to Aussie Highways
Or to be more explicit about Vincent's question, the "Sydney Gateway" is the additional WestConnex section that connects to the airport. It has a leg on the stack interchange at St Peters and uses the F6 surface corridor to continue reach the Alexandria Canal and then takes over Qantas Drive.

That's as distinct from the other WestConnex/connection projects under construction - Rozelle interchange, "M6 stage 1" (terrible name) tunnel, Western Harbour Tunnel

Henry Ung

Jan 21, 2023, 8:37:16 PM1/21/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqPcdIL1Es shows the tunnels in both directions.
It was filmed on the day that it opened.

The road signs are difficult to see in the video even in 4K which is understandable being in a tunnel driving at 80 km/h.
The WestConnex is a cheaper motorway route from the western suburbs to the airport or to the city.
It will be a lot better once the Rozelle interchange and Sydney Gateway are open.

Nihat

Jan 21, 2023, 9:32:31 PM1/21/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The road signs on Westconnex when driving are pretty easy to see, they are backlit. Unlike other tunnels which have standard signage, which are harder to see. Northconnex uses backlit as well but the "left lane ends" signs on the onramps are not for some reason.

Sam L

Feb 11, 2023, 9:17:31 AM2/11/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Did the braided ramps at the Wattle Street on-ramp (eastbound) and Rozelle Interchange on-ramp (westbound) get built in the end? It was hard to tell with all the lane gains and drops in the tunnel but my initial thought was no...?

Feb 11, 2023, 8:04:01 PM2/11/23
to Aussie Highways
Nup. Exit gore is at 2:30 in the video. Looks like the final design is 3 lane M4 east + 1 lane enter from Wattle St = 4 lanes. This continue through to the Rozelle interchange diverge where it splits 2 + 2.

There's no ramp braiding between with any main junctions: similarly at St Peters the mainline splits 2(+1)+2 and at the F6 tunnels it splits 2+2

Daniel Knott

Feb 15, 2023, 6:02:02 AM2/15/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Not that i've been through it, but I'm pretty sure they haven't. They only ever seemed to appear in the EIS design maps.

Hubert Lam

Jun 17, 2023, 8:02:55 AM6/17/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I'm now a semi regular user of the M4-M8 extensions, and couldn't wait for the Sydney Gateway to at least, partially open.

From the wording on the Factsheet, it seems that it'll open in various stages:
image.png

1. Airport Drive replacement (Domestic to International, in that direction)
2. Airport Drive replacement (International to Domestic, in that direction)
3. Flyover to Domestic Terminal
4. St Peters Interchange connection

image.png

And yes the signage from Gardeners Road to the Domestic/International Terminals is atrocious. You wouldn't be able to tell you need to turn right into Kent Road first 😂 However, that should only be temporary.

Very exciting to have the Rozelle Interchange opening within a few months too! These two final pieces of the puzzle will really unlock the full potential of the WCX project.

Hubert Lam

Jun 17, 2023, 8:06:16 AM6/17/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
What's even more interesting is that once the Sydney Gateway/Rozelle Interchange both open, the quickest way to the City from the Airport would probably be via the Sydney Gateway/M8 and exiting at the Rozelle Interchange, and on to the City West Link. It's not a travel route most people would associate with, as it's a brand new route with almost no current alternative in terms of the areas you pass through - navigating from the Airport to the west of the CBD atm would generally be a total nightmare, having to pass through Newtown.

(The driver videos on the Sydney Gateway interactive portal still seem to indicate the quickest way to the City is via O'Riordan St etc 😂)

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 28, 2023, 5:11:22 AM6/28/23
to Aussie Highways
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/thousands-stung-for-speeding-on-motorway-despite-consensus-limit-is-too-low-20230625-p5djak.html came out three days ago.

I still don't know why the 3-lane tunnels (both M4 East and M4–M8 link) with wide shoulders can't handle 90 km/h. It would definitely reduce fatigue.

Nihat

Jun 28, 2023, 7:38:42 AM6/28/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
let's see what the review says. road tunnels have always been 80 limited just like open highways 110. given it is a variable limit i don't see why it can't be lifted to 90 especially during low traffic volumes.

Hubert Lam

Oct 4, 2023, 1:56:47 AM10/4/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The blockwork walls that currently exist on the Rozelle Interchange eastbound exit (where the M4 will be rerouted)/eastbound entrance to the M8 are about to be demolished:

image.png

My punt: the Rozelle Interchange will be open some time in mid November?

#130km/hforthehume

Oct 4, 2023, 3:52:47 AM10/4/23
to Aussie Highways
Looks like it. Can't wait for Rozelle Intg to open!

Nihat

Oct 31, 2023, 6:57:43 AM10/31/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

#130km/hforthehume

Oct 31, 2023, 7:50:15 AM10/31/23
to Aussie Highways

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 22.48.44.png
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IIOj6S9c0, it seems that Victoria Rd will keep the A40 designation, while Iron Cove Link will be Sydney's next unnumbered motorway and the first to have no number or name signed.

You can at least hope this is all temporary.

Henry

Oct 31, 2023, 5:31:23 PM10/31/23
to Aussie Highways
The Iron Cove to Anzac Bridge link has signage to the city as A4 according to their animation.
Even the intersection between Victoria Road and City West Link still has Anzac Bridge and onwards as A4.

I suppose M4 is signed to and from the Victoria Road / City West Link intersection.
This leaves a short section of A4 on the Anzac Bridge and Western Distributor.

Jason Kumar

Oct 31, 2023, 7:19:44 PM10/31/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This signage will likely be confusing to those who are looking for Victoria Rd given there's no mention of it on either of the signs.

Jason

#130km/hforthehume

Oct 31, 2023, 7:58:30 PM10/31/23
to Aussie Highways
This also doesn't make sense since the A4 is fully freeway-grade east of Vic Rd.

Sam L

Oct 31, 2023, 10:40:37 PM10/31/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
As if not signing the 'Tunnel' as A40 wasn't stupid enough, there are several signs that say 'To Victoria Rd' with no mention of A40. FFS!

Nov 1, 2023, 3:29:03 AM11/1/23
to Aussie Highways
Which is a big deal since the entire purpose of Iron Cove Link was to revitalise Victoria Rd and make it a local road. The route numbers are critically important here since the A40 on Vic Rd conveys that Victoria Road is the primary road between Drummoyne and Western Dist., not Iron Cove Link, antithetical to the tunnel's purpose.

Hubert Lam

Nov 1, 2023, 4:42:46 AM11/1/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The irony is that if it does get switched to the Iron Cove Link, it's actually freeway grade there but wouldn't quite make sense to make it M40 for such a short section?

Alternatively, maybe they'll do what was done with the NorthConnex: it might turn into a new "M" route, three years down the track 😅

Nihat

Nov 1, 2023, 7:12:45 AM11/1/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
agreed and that "exit" sign does not look good at all. if only they had provided the directional signage for feedback we could have assisted with suggestions.

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 1, 2023, 7:39:10 AM11/1/23
to Aussie Highways
I always thought those exit signs were there if an exit number were to be added in the future.

AlienChex

Nov 1, 2023, 7:47:19 AM11/1/23
to Aussie Highways
I hope that’s just an error the animators made, in reality the best option would’ve been to signpost A40 onto Iron Cove Link, use big “A40 TO VICTORIA ROAD, Drummoyne Ryde” focal point to inform drivers. Then the old section of Victoria road can one day be renamed to a more local name when it is transformed into a local boulevard like they initially planned

Henry Ung

Nov 1, 2023, 10:54:21 PM11/1/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
What is also confusing is that sign is next to the existing Victoria Road intersection.

Hubert Lam

Nov 3, 2023, 11:24:48 PM11/3/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

davis

Nov 4, 2023, 1:51:18 AM11/4/23
to Aussie Highways
White Bay Valley Way

On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 2:24:48 PM UTC+11 Hubert Lam wrote:
Victoria Lane 🤣

Hubert Lam

Nov 9, 2023, 3:31:07 AM11/9/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Henry

Nov 11, 2023, 12:08:38 AM11/11/23
to Aussie Highways
The Crescent overpass has opened a few days ago: https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/rozelle-interchange-a-virtual-reality
I drove past it yesterday on the City West link to Anzac Bridge but not on the overpass itself.
The 2 lanes from the City West Link merges to one lane, with one lane from the Crescent overpass added on just before the Victoria Rd underpass.
This seems to be the permanent arrangement. I can only imagine traffic from City West link to Anzac Bridge will be quite busy for a weeks until the Rozelle interchange opens.
Although in saying that a lot of traffic will try to avoid the toll.

Nihat

Nov 11, 2023, 3:35:59 AM11/11/23
to Aussie Highways
Not sure why they opened it so early given the traffic as you mentioned. I saw on the herald video this overpass is really just because of the future harbour tunnel.

JR

Nov 12, 2023, 12:53:20 AM11/12/23
to Aussie Highways
I tried the overpass this week - it works well, but the timing for the lights at the Johnston St/The Crescent intersection hadn't been fixed properly, and was only letting a couple of cars through on each green light, which meant traffic was significantly banked up on Johnston Street towards Annandale (and worse than it was before the overpass opened).

The City West Link merge from 2 lanes to 1 prior to the Victoria Road underpass is also creating significant traffic congestion - I don't know why they couldn't worked out a better way of merging the traffic there (particularly as you'll still get traffic trying to avoid the toll even after the Rozelle Interchange opens, and traffic from Haberfield/Leichhardt/Lilyfield/Rozelle etc. that can't use Westconnex still has to use the CWL).

Does anyone know how the lane merges in the eastbound direction will work on the Anzac Bridge when the Rozelle Interchange opens? - seems like there's 2 lanes from Westconnex, 1 from the CWL, 1 from the Johnston St overpass and 2 or 3 from Victoria Road that all have to merge into 4 on the bridge.

Henry Ung

Nov 13, 2023, 12:31:42 AM11/13/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
For east bound traffic from left to right:
Lanes 1 and 2 - from M4 tunnel
Lane 3 - CWL
Lane 4 - Existing Victoria Road

As mentioned earlier CWL will merge from 2 to 1. An added lane from the Crescent overpass so 2 lanes under the existing Victoria Rd underpass, and then somehow becomes lanes 3 and 4. The current Victoria Road merges to 1 lane, which is lane 4.
Keep in mind the Iron Cove link to Anzac Bridge is toll free. This leads to the M4 tunnel and then onto lanes 1 and 2.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/713f3eb9-bbda-4c28-8c57-35d65b128341n%40googlegroups.com.

Nihat

Nov 13, 2023, 7:01:28 AM11/13/23
to Aussie Highways
Just saw this ad about ramp signals on approach to the Anzac bridge. The iron cove tunnel will be interesting not sure I've seen that before in a tunnel perhaps there is one in Melbourne?

Screenshot_20231113_225924_Instagram.jpg

Jason Kumar

Nov 13, 2023, 7:08:26 AM11/13/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting find, didn't know this was part of the plans. So basically the M4 tunnel to the Anzac bridge gets priority then?

Jason

Hubert Lam

Nov 24, 2023, 1:18:22 AM11/24/23
to Aussie Highways

davis

Nov 24, 2023, 2:21:46 AM11/24/23
to Aussie Highways
Days shy of 20 years since the eastern F4 corridor returned to the planning agenda, it's finally done.

Here's where we were 20 years ago --

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 24, 2023, 4:25:41 AM11/24/23
to Aussie Highways
Parramatta Road revitalisation when?!?

Henry Ung

Nov 24, 2023, 5:53:28 AM11/24/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I remember that proposal. I can't believe that the short tunnel was even put up as an option. IMO today's version of the WestConnex is much better than any of the old proposals.
Anyone remember the Marrickville tunnel proposal?

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 26, 2023, 4:46:26 AM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
I drove through sections of the tunnel today (Iron Cove Link and Anzac Br to M4 East). It was amazing and convoluted, but also impressive from an engineering point of view. What I also found strange was the use of bordered alphas and retaining the A4 designation for Anzac Bridge and Western Distributor.

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 26, 2023, 4:49:20 AM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
Great Aussie Drives also has footage of the tunnel as always. Link at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kodxeyJJujE.

Nihat

Nov 26, 2023, 5:24:02 AM11/26/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
the bordered alphas are harder to see and should have been updated for westconnex.

JR

Nov 26, 2023, 5:26:33 AM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
With a couple of changes (e.g longer at the Homebush end and an interchange at Concord Road) that Tunnel was effectively what became Stage 1 of Westconnex.

JR

Nov 26, 2023, 5:26:33 AM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
This is a good video, covering most of the interchange apart from the CWL exit/entry:

As expected, no A40 (or M40) alphanumeric on the Iron Cove Link - A40 still showing on the existing Victoria Road. Looks like it's a "to A4" in the Iron Cove-Anzac Bridge bound direction (like the Cross City Tunnel...)

Henry Ung

Nov 26, 2023, 5:44:35 AM11/26/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I also went on it today. I have driven on the M4 Motorway to Anzac Bridge, I took a u-turn at the fish markets. Then went both directions along the Iron Cove link back to Pyrmont. I took a couple of screenshots from my dash cam: https://imgur.com/a/GFjiHiH
You will need to open the images in a new tab to see the signs properly.

I did spot one borderless M4. The first 2 signs heading west along Anzac Bridge do not mention the existing Victoria Road (A40) at all. It's only when you see the third sign after the M4 splits off.
I think the 2 signs on the Anzac Bridge should have City West Link Leichhardt A44 / Victoria Rd Balmain A40 on the right most panel.
The Iron Cove link only took about 2 minutes to drive through it which is nice.
It will be interesting to see how it operates during peak hours tomorrow.

Sam L

Nov 26, 2023, 6:12:14 AM11/26/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It's absolutely ludicrous that Victoria Road through Rozelle is still signed as A40 and not Iron Cove Link. The advance sign (only sign?) eastbound coming off Iron Cove Bridge is also really badly located - partly hidden by the signal mast arm and off to the side. Not sure if it is just the wide angle lens of the dash cam.

Nov 26, 2023, 3:38:32 PM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
Also ridiculous that Iron Cove Link simply gets signed as "tunnel", with road markings on the ground using "TNL". What is that supposed to mean for the average commuter?

AlienChex

Nov 26, 2023, 7:13:53 PM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
Iron Cove Link is one of the biggest problems:

  •  Only two lanes from Anzac Bridge into M4 tunnel, the other two go off onto CWL and Vic Road which are supposed to be the "old" roads
  • Bizarre Iron Cove Link signage. It should be "A40 VICTORIA ROAD - RYDE" signed through the tunnel
  • The old Victoria Road should be unnumbered and not called Victoria Road, drivers recognize the name before the number. It should be called some new name entirely
Iron Cove Link is going to be a complete bust because people don't know it actually links to the city

Sam L

Nov 26, 2023, 9:20:54 PM11/26/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Changing 'Drummoyne' to 'A40 Ryde' is easily done with a few coverplates too. No need for new signs and larger structures.

I have no idea why Drummoyne is given such prominence on these signs...

Presumably the lane allocations are based on traffic modelling - notwithstanding CWL & Victoria Rd are the old routes they will still carry a fair bit of traffic.

Nov 26, 2023, 11:25:15 PM11/26/23
to Aussie Highways
Anzac approach gantry should look like this (ignore incorrect symbols)

Clear identification of focal points. Personally I think three lanes of the four shouldve gone into the tunnel with a 3/2 split exit instead of the 2/2
rte.png

Nihat

Dec 2, 2023, 2:57:10 AM12/2/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
has anyone taken a drive since they apparently updated some of the signs to help with the traffic flow?

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 2, 2023, 5:13:13 AM12/2/23
to Aussie Highways
The planning models they used for Iron Cove Link are a joke. Who knew merging 10 lanes into 4 was better than merging 7 lanes into 4?

The answer is not better signage (though I will admit: the average Sydneysider's mind has now been engrained that if a new tunnel is opening, it's tolled). The solution is revitalising Victoria Rd so it's a local road that favours a) locals, b) public transport over cars and c) everyone else on Anzac Bridge.

JR

Dec 2, 2023, 5:42:37 PM12/2/23
to Aussie Highways
I've read some comments in the media that the City West Link issue is probably worse than Victoria Road and isn't just going to get fixed with some signage. Traffic this week has been banked back to Iron Cove Bay which is just as bad as it was pre-opening. The existing CWL traffic which doesn't/can't use the motorway has been added to traffic coming off the M8 exit (with an additional set of traffic lights) and all of it gets merged into one lane prior to the Annandale overpass coming in, and then both lanes merged again into one lane via ramp signals onto the Anzac Bridge.

They are really going to have to re-think how that bit works given there are at least 3 future additions to that area (none of which can use the direct M4 ramp onto the Anzac Bridge):
* some time in 2024 the Sydney Gateway will be finished and a lot of airport to city traffic will start using the M8 and Anzac Bridge instead of going via the Eastern Distributor
* in 2025 the M6 Motorway will open and will funnel the Princes Highway/south traffic into the Westconnex corridor as well. Anyone travelling to the city will have to exit at the same CWL exit.
* in 2028 the Western Harbour Tunnel will open, and add a further set of lights on the CWL (plus add southbound exiting, northbound entering WHT traffic).

I'm not sure if the WHT plans include any further CWL changes?

Henry Ung

Dec 2, 2023, 11:10:35 PM12/2/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Traffic from the south and southwest really should continue to use the existing M1 corridor to get into the city.
The Rozelle interchange is mostly designed for M4 + Victoria Rd to City, and Victoria Rd to the south and southwest.
The Western Harbour Tunnel should be used for traffic bypassing the city and M1 corridor. The current harbour crossing will most likely be cheaper than using the WHT into the city.
Also heading from Pyrmont / Ultimo / Haymarket to head north, you would just use the Harbour Bridge which would be free.

Nihat

Dec 3, 2023, 12:53:53 AM12/3/23
to Aussie Highways
I need to read back through the planning documents and submissions because this would have been brought up, funneling all this additional traffic onto the 4 lane Anzac bridge. i wonder if it was ever considered providing the ramp from the m8 citybound onto the m4 tunnels rather than ending up on city west link and having to make a left at the traffic lights.

Paul Rands

Dec 5, 2023, 7:16:15 AM12/5/23
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
Thanks Davis,

Thankful we got wider tunnels.

Now we just need the gentrification of Parramatta Rd to happen

Paul Rands

Dec 5, 2023, 7:17:48 AM12/5/23
to Aussie Highways Mailing List

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 12, 2023, 2:26:42 AM12/12/23
to Aussie Highways
It seems they've updated the signs before Iron Cove Link to https://twitter.com/kypros1992/status/1733370021680922934, but the underlying issue of vague signage and A40 remaining on Vic Rd remains.

AlienChex

Dec 12, 2023, 11:15:25 PM12/12/23
to Aussie Highways
Image

A40 through Balmain is so silly, it should be OLD VICTORIA ROAD

Hubert Lam

Mar 15, 2024, 8:43:53 PMMar 15
to Aussie Highways

Nihat

Mar 15, 2024, 9:42:32 PMMar 15
to Aussie Highways
Yes, mainline only. It is interesting because Northconnex was built at the same time but for some reason I think designed for 80 not 90. I'd have to double check the planning documents.