Remnant SR, NR, NH, Metroad Signs

Adrian Biankin

Nov 1, 2021, 9:54:14 PM11/1/21
to Aussie Highways

Sam L

Nov 1, 2021, 10:25:24 PM11/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There's a longish thread here on Metroads remnants

This one is a great find!

Nov 2, 2021, 3:47:47 AM11/2/21
to Aussie Highways
That one from Peats Ridge Road is unfortunately an image from 2010. Google hasn’t driven back down that road since :(

Adrian Biankin

Nov 2, 2021, 4:14:18 AM11/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Its still there! Drove there a few months back and still there.

Aevion

Nov 2, 2021, 6:33:59 PM11/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Man that's one awful sign, although I guess this could be said for all of the modern signage along Peats Ridge Road.

Adrian Biankin

Nov 2, 2021, 7:41:39 PM11/2/21
to Aussie Highways

ed24f1

Nov 7, 2021, 1:06:07 AM11/7/21
to Aussie Highways

Adrian Biankin

Nov 7, 2021, 1:56:42 AM11/7/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I did see that one before. Couldn’t remember where it was

AlienChex

Nov 7, 2021, 2:43:44 AM11/7/21
to Aussie Highways

Newcastle is a goldmine for old state-route signs because a lot of them are just coverplated

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 8, 2021, 6:07:51 AM11/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Ditto for the northern Central Coast as well. Just all look plain ugly with a coverplate slapped on

Johnny Telcher

May 16, 2022, 2:08:20 AM5/16/22
to Aussie Highways
Found this sign on the Hume Highway north of Albury that has not had its cover plate removed and still says NH31 https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-35.9894924,146.9958566,3a,15y,352.11h,93.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZVeAoKThFW0eHGXoIbyo5Q!2e0!5s20210501T000000!7i16384!8i8192 Also this sign has the name on a cover plate which most likely covers Hume Motorway for some reason which is weird has the Hume Highway doesn't become Hume Motorway until Berrima.

#130km/hforthehume

May 16, 2022, 2:54:11 AM5/16/22
to Aussie Highways
Looking at an old image (https://goo.gl/maps/7HWPRcWEkTveGgrY6), it seems that there was an alpha on that sign before 2008 (looks like an A31(?))

Sam L

May 16, 2022, 3:02:05 AM5/16/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Certainly was - the original was installed as part of the Albury Bypass project.
https://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/Special/MAB/200.jpg. It appears to have been replaced between 2010 and 2015, with the current design.

There is a series of photos of the Albury Bypass signage from July 2007 on this page: https://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/Special/MAB/evidence_old.htm

Johnny - in its preparations for alpha-numeric route numbering, RTA/RMS had planned to sign the whole length of Hume Highway as M31/Hume Motorway and signage installed from ~2011 to 2013 had M31/Hume Motorway under coverplates. Example here from 2011: https://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/Special/MAB/461.jpg

Evidently that plan fell over when it came time to roll-out the scheme, perhaps because the large number of properties with direct frontage to the Hume would have had a 'Hume Motorway' address. I suspect there were similar plans for 'Federal Motorway' based on similarly coverplated signs on Federal Highway.

May 16, 2022, 3:12:34 AM5/16/22
to Aussie Highways

Luke W

May 17, 2022, 2:13:16 AM5/17/22
to Aussie Highways
Street View history shows that the Narellan Road ones did definitely say "Hume Motorway" when it was changed over, but it sounds like the contractors made a blunder when they re-designed the whole interchange a few years ago, starting in 2015, and made replacement signs when done. (If on a desktop, click on the top-left where it says "Street View" and a date, it'll give you pics dating back to 2007-08 when the Street View cars started roaming the streets.)

Highland Way would have likely just been a forgotten coverplate or one that came off, I imagine, nothing to worry too much about - the traffic volumes on that (south of Bundanoon) aren't really much.

Adrian Biankin

Jul 6, 2022, 1:42:02 AM7/6/22
to Aussie Highways

AlienChex

Dec 24, 2022, 5:03:51 PM12/24/22
to Aussie Highways

Reviving this old thread for this one. On the corner of Shepherd and Speed Street in Casula. It’s a strange sign because it’s on a suburban street, but this street leads to the powerhouse arts centre, so this must be for exiting visitors. It has a Metroad 5 cover plate, ready to be removed, but they never removed it in nearly 10 years

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 30, 2022, 9:16:24 PM12/30/22
to Aussie Highways
Near that sign is also https://goo.gl/maps/Y5xRJd4X3E6M7ayo8, which is not exactly a remnant route number, but it's still a relic of the past. Not only has the RTA been long gone, but toll gates are now a thing of the past (at least in Australia).

billyjs...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2023, 7:39:13 PM1/5/23
to Aussie Highways

NumberMX

Jan 24, 2023, 10:42:04 AM1/24/23
to Aussie Highways
An old NH31 sign north of Melbourne: https://goo.gl/maps/dqcAJJ8HNfY5oMSXA

MH2351

Jan 25, 2023, 6:51:03 PM1/25/23
to Aussie Highways
NH 31 on SR30 under the M1 West Gate Fwy

NumberMX

Feb 2, 2023, 1:28:50 AM2/2/23
to Aussie Highways
A sign on Royal Parade with NR1, NH8, and NR79 on it: https://goo.gl/maps/4jkVNDvGefkWpbug8

billyjs...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2023, 10:34:18 PM2/12/23
to Aussie Highways

Sam L

Feb 12, 2023, 10:53:04 PM2/12/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The ultimate "not my job" - Vicroads coverplate the NH8 shield but leave the long-decommissioned NR1 and NR79 shields...

Mar 20, 2023, 8:46:27 AM3/20/23
to Aussie Highways
Has anyone noticed that what appears to be SR43 coverplates on the Tulla/Citylink signs which havent been removed for ages?

Sam L

Mar 21, 2023, 2:34:45 AM3/21/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes - they cover M2 and should be uncovered by now but there is a significant traffic management cost involved.

Apr 3, 2023, 11:58:58 PM4/3/23
to Aussie Highways

theoneandon...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2023, 10:29:07 PM4/4/23
to Aussie Highways

Plenty of these around on the entire Old Princes Hwy route, probably forgot to coverplate them

Mark Sanders

Apr 5, 2023, 9:32:08 AM4/5/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Not an old remnant, but a relatively new installation at Lake Hume Village just outside of Albury NSW

Screenshot_20230405-232946_Maps.jpg

Damien Berry

Apr 5, 2023, 9:34:56 AM4/5/23
to Aussie Highways
B6B085AD-F07D-4C05-81C8-4A313B5D51FD.jpeg
As mentioned above it was easy to find an example on Princes Way, Longwarry via Street view, though this was from March 2010, hopefully it is still there.

#130km/hforthehume

Apr 6, 2023, 12:54:18 AM4/6/23
to Aussie Highways
While many MR6 shields in Brisbane have been replaced with M6 shields with a blue background, https://goo.gl/maps/8abp26UL2kFirHyk7https://goo.gl/maps/kRT6i2fYKSNKCWaX9https://goo.gl/maps/RczzRUAETeKDNyee7https://goo.gl/maps/vVQqYdN5N4bKo2Rg6, https://goo.gl/maps/LyanAiHhA8N8SuAYA and https://goo.gl/maps/WkVrwd1rthYmrTBG7 contain remnants of MR6 shields.

Don't know if the QLD govt has any plans to replace the few remaining MR6s and 4s near Loganlea, but the MR4s are misleading for the average tourist unfamiliar with Brisbane's roads.

Sam L

Apr 12, 2023, 8:42:16 PM4/12/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Logan Motorway (east) was previously signed as Metroad 4, prior to opening of the Gateway Motorway extension. The Metroad 4 signs will generally date from this era.

It's Queensland, so I have no faith they will replace signs that have been outdated for 20 years and, if they do they will probably stuff them up anyway.

Apr 12, 2023, 8:46:05 PM4/12/23
to Aussie Highways
Interesting to know; you're right about future replacements, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there during the Brisbane 2032 Olympics.

#130km/hforthehume

Apr 23, 2023, 6:23:59 AM4/23/23
to Aussie Highways
There's also a remnant NR1 in Helensburgh on the Princes Hwy (GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/4kcwmDjAggYbtH8i7).

Adrian Biankin

Apr 23, 2023, 8:02:42 AM4/23/23
to Aussie Highways

Looks like the M1 coverplate that was on it fell off.

barbs

Apr 29, 2023, 1:21:59 AM4/29/23
to Aussie Highways

Damien Berry

Apr 29, 2023, 11:31:21 PM4/29/23
to Aussie Highways
That sign would even pre-date the renaming of the South Eastern Freeway to South Eastern Arterial in 1988.

Scott Davis

May 1, 2023, 12:46:45 AM5/1/23
to Aussie Highways
I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread.... There's a National A20 sign on Main North Road leading in to Adelaide.

The Sturt Highway used to use this road to enter Adelaide until the Northern Expressway replaced it.

The road is currently State A20, but was State A52 from when the Northern Expressway was opened in 2010 (I think, or some time soon after) until that was redesignated as M2 in 2017 and Main North Road became state A20.

Scott

Paul Rands

May 1, 2023, 4:50:20 AM5/1/23
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
Nice find. There’s also loads of NR20 and NH20 remnant shields along B201 in Berri

kjh gfh

May 2, 2023, 8:52:54 PM5/2/23
to Aussie Highways

Sam L

May 2, 2023, 8:56:20 PM5/2/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Sadly this one was replaced in December 2021.

May 2, 2023, 11:49:15 PM5/2/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Here's another one I found. A shiny new one located a few hundred metres further down the road with 'A3' on it.

120 A3

Paul Rands

May 3, 2023, 12:37:41 AM5/3/23
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
Most of the remnants are on council controlled roads there.

The Speed Limit sign is not an original pre-metric sign. The use of Helvetica gives it away. It’s one of the crappy signs produced by safety sign manufacturer Brady that litter the place.

#130km/hforthehume

May 3, 2023, 8:44:14 AM5/3/23
to Aussie Highways
I was intrigued to see the pre-metric sign till I read Paul's comment. Are there any (genuine) remnant pre-metric signs left?

Sam L

May 3, 2023, 10:11:23 AM5/3/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There are a few still around in WA, generally on private property or Council reserves. Haven't see one on a public road that I can think of.

This one in Port Hedland was still there last time I was up there: https://goo.gl/maps/uZXajHoJX2FjXAS2A
Other examples at Beverley and Trayning aren't on Google Street View.

May 3, 2023, 10:19:59 PM5/3/23
to Aussie Highways Mailing List
There are a few about. I have found one or two in country NSW and country WA.

billyjs...@gmail.com

May 6, 2023, 11:45:42 PM5/6/23
to Aussie Highways
Ferntree Gully Rd - Google Maps

On the right (zoom in) there is a NR1 rather than an ALTNR1.

NumberMX

May 7, 2023, 7:07:03 AM5/7/23
to Aussie Highways
There's a few NR1 shields in that area that unfortunately never got updated.
https://goo.gl/maps/V9V4M2G6UoR1qVav5 - approaching Wellington Rd
https://goo.gl/maps/5NQ6m3TSqnLVMcny7 - Same on the other side

And then there's this one approaching Springvale Rd which is outdated enough that it's all wrong - NR1 instead of ALTNR1, Centre Rd is missing its MR16, and Springvale Rd is still showing MR11 instead of MR40.

NumberMX

Jul 6, 2023, 2:38:36 AM7/6/23
to Aussie Highways
A remnant MR11 for the Mornington Peninsula Fwy: https://goo.gl/maps/4jmxR1TwBmU79nWRA

Also, the sign on the other side hasn't quite got the size of the plate right to cover up the old B110.

NumberMX

Nov 2, 2023, 12:11:32 AM11/2/23
to Aussie Highways
An NR1 shield on a part of Princes Hwy that's now C101: https://maps.app.goo.gl/CfTKvifozrkCBuJg6