Toowoomba Second Range Crossing

Phillip McCallum

Jul 20, 2015, 6:31:29 PM7/20/15
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

This has just been posted this month – the announcement of the successful tenderer for the Toowoomba Range project.

A couple of interesting changes from the reference plan – the best of which are the inclusion of grade separation at the three major intersections west of the range and full four lanes all the way to the Warrago Hwy.  Don’t know why these were not in the original plan!  But more curious is the replacement of the tunnel with a 30 metre deep cutting.  They have been looking at this project for so long, it seems remarkable that this sort of a change comes along at such a late stage.

My heart sank when it got to the bit about next steps being extensive consultation.... please just build the thing already – we have been talking about this for far too long!

https://www.treasury.qld.gov.au/projects-infrastructure/projects/toowoomba-second-range-crossing/images/tsrc-fact-sheet-july-2015.pdf

Phillip

Nihat

Mar 16, 2024, 3:02:06 AMMar 16
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Couldn't find another thread but since opening and even during construction there were issues looking at street view. The massive cuttings look to be unstable and so one lane has been closed since 2022. Tunneling may in hindsight have been a better solution. The private company is bearing the costs so no taxpayer intervention I understand but the full tolling is still in place despite these delays. A reminder we in Australia have been pretty fortunate with these massive infrastructure projects going mostly to plan, a reminder of the inherent risks and dangers.

image.png
image.png

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 16, 2024, 4:00:18 AMMar 16
to Aussie Highways
I agree that while tunnelling might have cost more in the short-term, it would have long-term environmental (provided they use TBMs) and safety benefits over the status quo.

At least they are not repeating the same mistakes with the inland freight rail project (if it goes ahead).