Homebush Bay Dr and Underwood Rd / Australia Ave upgrade

Henry Ung

Jun 22, 2022, 6:24:27 AM6/22/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

The Australian and NSW Governments have invested $100 million into the upgrade and removal of the Homebush Bay Dr / Australia Ave / Underwood Rd roundabout.
The preferred plan is to convert it into NSW's first diverging diamond intersection.
It's interesting to see that this was thought of for this intersection.
What ruins the efficient flow of traffic is the southbound HBD off-ramp to southbound HBD on-ramp movement to connect to the DFO.

Henry

Aevion

Jun 23, 2022, 5:37:00 AM6/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Interesting. I was wondering how long it would be before the other states decided to start using these setups. Looking at the diagram it appears that this will be a pretty well-flowing interchange, but then I'm not personally familiar with this interchange and the amounts of traffic that use it. By RMS' descriptions though, it appears that it's quite the black spot. Looking on Street View, it also seems like there's really no great way to get into that DFO is there? In a more ideal situation I'd suggest a bridge across from Wentworth Road directly into the complex, but it seems that that area has been purposely traffic calmed and closed off.

My own experience with these interchanges is limited to Caloundra Road at this stage, which I found to be a very smooth-flowing interchange even in peak traffic (in fact, that whole upgrade project is a thing of beauty, apart from the iffy signage). Strathpine Road isn't quite completed yet, but from what I've seen so far it's a very small band-aid fix. Unfortunately it's in a pretty narrow corridor though, and that stretch from there to the Gateway doesn't seem to have been touched at all since it was built 46 years ago.

Vincent

Jun 23, 2022, 11:08:49 AM6/23/22
to Aussie Highways
I've driven through this intersection a few times. The DFO entries are poorly designed, and I think what adds to the issue is that this is a fast roundabout with relatively poor visibility. It's designed in such a way that you can travel through it (too) quickly, and because of the poor design of the entries, people get confused about which lane they need to be in. Cars can disappear quite easily behind the infrastructure holding up HBD as well, and with the speed of the roundabout, cars which have disappeared behind pillars/ramps can come at you quite quickly. You're then in a situation where people who visit the DFOs infrequently are unfamiliar with the layout, and they're contending with regulars who do know what they're doing.

The diverging diamond interchange sounds like an interesting notion. From what I've seen, implementations in Queensland seem to have gone quite well. Wasn't there one being constructed at Varsity Lakes as well?

Cheers,
Vincent.

Aevion

Jun 23, 2022, 7:06:38 PM6/23/22
to Aussie Highways
There certainly is one at Bermuda Street, which appears to have been opened to traffic in April (I wasn't aware of that fact until now, but I haven't been following this project much). Can't find any decent photos of it yet, so I'll reserve judgement for when the full M1 upgrade is completed, as I don't believe the interchange is fully operational yet.

Back to Homebush Bay Drive, I'm shocked the DFO development was approved in such a location, especially with those accesses. Was there a ton of traffic using the roundabout before DFO was opened?

Vincent

Jun 23, 2022, 11:38:44 PM6/23/22
to Aussie Highways
I'd have to defer to more seasoned bods, because the HBD overpass and DFO have been where they are for as long as I've had a reason to drive through there (about 10 years), and traffic has always been consistently heavy on that stretch.

Looking at historic aerial imagery of the site, it looks like it was just a roundabout up until about 1997 - Sam puts the opening of the overpass at February 1998 on Ozroads. I'm not sure how long the DFO has been there for, but the previous structure is in pre-HBD imagery from 1985. My guess is that when they built the DFO, they used the existing infrastructure for ingress/egress without much thought as to future traffic flow. Lack of foresight? In Sydney? Quelle surprise.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Sam L

Jun 24, 2022, 1:40:00 AM6/24/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
DFO opened in 2001, which would probably have been welcomed by a State Government wondering how to keep the Sydney Olympic Park area activated post-Olympics. At the time there wasn't a lot of resi/office land use in SOP and that growth has increased traffic over the years.

Jun 24, 2022, 4:43:40 AM6/24/22
to Aussie Highways
It did some duty as a building trades showroom / bulk goods before its current incarnation as a factory outlet / bulk goods centre.