Courier Mail: $200m to fix Clem7 tunnel crash risk at Pacific Motorway exit

54 views
Skip to first unread message

Paul Rands

unread,
Jul 31, 2010, 12:20:20 PM7/31/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

$200m to fix Clem7 tunnel crash risk at Pacific Motorway exit

  • by Patrick Lion
  • From: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
  • August 01, 2010 12:00AM

QUEENSLAND taxpayers face a shock $200 million bill over a major safety flaw with Brisbane's beleaguered Clem7 tunnel.

The Sunday Mail

can reveal the State Government has been urged to undertake a major overhaul of the Pacific Motorway to fix a serious problem with the southern exit of the tunnel.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads recommendation to expand the motorway by an extra lane came after a planning study last year identified a flawed tunnel exit increased the risk of crashes.

The study also found the tunnel would increase congestion on the motorway, with a normal eight-minute trip from the city to the Marshall Rd exit at Holland Park increasing to 12 minutes.

The revelations are the latest problem to hit the toll road as concerns escalate over its financial viability if woeful traffic volumes fail to improve.

Documents obtained under Right To Information laws reveal the Government knew about the safety problem as long ago as December 2008 – almost enough time to have built the expansion in time for the Clem7's opening this year.

In a briefing note to Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace in February, department metro region director Miles Vass said the 2009 study had found that southbound cars exiting the tunnel were a problem.

Drivers exit the tunnel and enter a fourth lane on the right but the motorway quickly reduces to only three lanes, crunching the traffic into a smaller space.

"Merging three full southbound lanes to the right in the vicinity of the tunnel portal to fully utilise the 'expected half full lane' will create many weave manoeuvres, which may increase the accident rate in this location," the department said in the briefing note.

It recommended an additional lane, including four bridge structures.

"TMR believes a 2.5km long general purpose lane needs to be constructed along the motorway from the tunnel portal to at least the Marshall Rd exit to provide four general purpose lanes," it said.

"This will cost approximately $100m to $200m and take between 18 to 24 months to deliver."

Mr Wallace yesterday attempted to play down the problem, saying there had been no safety incidents since his department gave the tunnel the green light to open in March.

But the less congested conditions have only been a matter of luck, with the toll road attracting only 20,000 to 30,000 cars daily instead of the forecast 60,000 to 75,000 required to pay the bills.

The department was so concerned about safety at the exit it cut the motorway speed limit from 90km/h to 80km/h before increasing it later when traffic flows were light.

In a statement, Mr Wallace confirmed his department would consider any changes if required due to more cars.

"I've spoken to the engineers and they're very satisfied with the network around the Clem7," he said. "Having said that, my department will still keep watch and if down the track action needs to be taken, action will be taken."

Tunnel operator RiverCity Motorway distanced itself from the problem, saying the Government had approved the connection and it would not pay for any upgrades.

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said he was not aware of the proposed change and dismissed any notion he would help fund it.

"Council has already delivered a massive $2.2 billion piece of infrastructure that has taken significant pressure off state-owned roads," he said.


--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

davis

unread,
Jul 31, 2010, 7:22:45 PM7/31/10
to Aussie Highways
Wouldn't this be contingent on people actually using the Clem Jones
Tunnel?

On Aug 1, 2:20 am, Paul Rands <paul00...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/m-to-fix-clem7-tunnel-c...

Trent Thomson

unread,
Aug 3, 2010, 7:29:50 AM8/3/10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This recently popped up on the TMR website...
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/P/Pacific-Motorway-Gateway-Motorway-to-Coronation-Drive.aspx

Eight laning of the Pacific Mwy between Gateway Mwy and the City was previously proposed to occur at the same time as the Logan-Nerang upgrade in 1997 but was shelved in favour of the South East Busway.

By the way, the old www.mainroads.qld.gov.au site has been taken down. The QMR and QT websites have been consolidated, the new address is www.tmr.qld.gov.au.

Regards
Trent

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To post to this group, send email to aussie-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to aussie-highwa...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/aussie-highways?hl=en.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages