Worst signs in Australia

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 8, 2020, 2:00:18 AM11/8/20
to Aussie Highways
Hi

What do you all think is the worst sign in Australia. It can be about anything, e.g. inconsistent info or ugly. Lots of vandalism on it.

I've got some below:

At Stuart Hwy/Dorat Road junction

At Stuart Hwy/Central Arnhem Road junction - how the hell did the NT government forget to add a C24 marker on all the signs at the junction - https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-14.6582954,132.6650095,3a,15y,88.29h,88.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srJtKd8HjAV3pXBwwrswtGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A87/C16 junction - missing NH87/S16 marker

At NR1/NH1/NH95 junction in WA - Its meant to be bloody NH95 or A95

and all of the Princes Highway signs from Helensburgh to Waterfall - too much vandalism.

and - at the A1/C192 junction is SA - seriously, can't put a sign up straight?

What do you all think?

Paulg

Nov 8, 2020, 10:10:18 PM11/8/20
to Aussie Highways
Screenshot 2020-11-09 130859.png

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 9, 2020, 2:51:41 AM11/9/20
to Aussie Highways
ugly

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 9, 2020, 6:35:18 AM11/9/20
to Aussie Highways

BingPress

Dec 30, 2020, 7:46:32 PM12/30/20
to Aussie Highways
Main Roads WA has been installing signs in Perth lately with completely wrong fonts. The chevron and border on this example look weird as well:

Brendan Terrett

Dec 31, 2020, 9:16:43 AM12/31/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Lol that's atrocious!

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 31, 2020, 9:58:38 AM12/31/20
to Aussie Highways
And anyway welcome to the group

Paul Rands

Jan 1, 2021, 8:46:40 PMJan 1
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, sign contractors have been doing some pretty sloppy work of late. Main Roads are aware of the issue though

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Squeeowl

Jan 4, 2021, 4:50:05 AMJan 4
to Aussie Highways
This has been an ongoing issue since at least 2016 (This example on Kwinana Freeway was the first one I saw in the flesh, and GSV has it dating back to Mid 2017) , but it seems like a large minority, even a majority of new AD signage last year rolled out in Perth had this error.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 4, 2021, 10:59:25 PMJan 4
to Aussie Highways
Jesus Christ, At first I was like, there's nothing wrong with this sign but then I realised that the font is all screwed up

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 14, 2021, 3:25:26 AMJan 14
to Aussie Highways
Better version of this sign (plus with alphas). It's a bit rushed, but since I've never been to WA before, the only way to see it is by these images.

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 11:46:32 AM UTC+11 BingPress wrote:
Better SR8.png
Better M8.png
Message has been deleted

BingPress

Jan 20, 2021, 7:49:32 AMJan 20
to Aussie Highways

Sam Laybutt

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:15 AMJan 20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I like how the designer thought hard enough to remove Fremantle as a focal point, but not hard enough to correct the complete circle on the roundabout symbol.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:18:48 PMJan 20
to Aussie Highways
Here's another one that's bad enough https://goo.gl/maps/aKqw9sV1EfAEBU8g8 (see tourist drives for more)

And for the one on Nicholson Road. Here's a very bad sign of mine but better than that. (again in RMS style as I've never been to WA to see how it is in general, also in alphas)
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 09.06.16.png

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 20, 2021, 7:24:50 PMJan 20
to Aussie Highways
Here's another bad one in the NT. Obviously found it on the web but how hard is it to use just one sign.

2

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 11:59:15 PM UTC+11 crazyknightsfan wrote:
55 SAM_5583 (Medium).jpg

Sam Laybutt

Jan 20, 2021, 7:28:38 PMJan 20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I really hate this one ever since I first saw it. The legend re Lajamanu makes no sense whatsoever.

The way I (and I'm assuming most stranger drivers) would read it, is that Lajamanu is 327km away from the sign and you need to turn off B96 in 104km to reach Lajamanu. But actually, it's 327km to the turnoff, then 104km along the side road to reach Lajamanu. What an absolute mess.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:42:01 PMJan 20
to Aussie Highways
Honestly, sometimes I feel like I should redesign all the misleading signs and the signs that are missing a route number. Has DIPL forgot about Territory Route 28 and Territory Route 9? What have they done to 23. Maybe they should have left it as TR23. And then there's this route that's missing the duplex. At least, the one and only route to be properly signed is A87 having being the longest. If they can do A87 properly, why not the others.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 20, 2021, 8:22:02 PMJan 20
to Aussie Highways
I'm pretty sure it's this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/PiVWP2deAJra4Uno8

Whats even worse, the turn off bit is also confusing. Does the 104 mean 104km to the turn off or 104km mean Lajamanu is 104km away from the turn off. Its pretty annoying how for someone who doesn't have some sort of map with them. I wonder how the signage looks from the C5 Tanami Road side.

4

Paul Rands

Jan 23, 2021, 7:23:38 AMJan 23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The Vale bit for Canning Vale is on a coverplate too

Paul Rands

Jan 23, 2021, 7:24:14 AMJan 23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Damn that's a mess

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 24, 2021, 7:49:02 AMJan 24
to Aussie Highways
Here's another bad one: https://goo.gl/maps/UEoGgDn1yPstdU8j8
Is that bent arrow common in WA?

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 24, 2021, 7:49:15 AMJan 24
to Aussie Highways
Let's take it this way, it has a route number and it is the correct route number, and this is neither one of those typical NT signage errors.

1

Paul Rands

Jan 24, 2021, 7:50:39 AMJan 24
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The bent arrow is quite common and signifies the right turn after the immediate junction

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 25, 2021, 10:15:55 PMJan 25
to Aussie Highways
I suppose the sign designers don't have the roadgeek fonts? https://goo.gl/maps/YKmqdzoifH4UiZwo6

Sam Laybutt

Jan 26, 2021, 8:53:56 PMJan 26
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The bent arrow is the standard method of signing the approaches to diamond interchanges in WA.

Jan 31, 2021, 3:15:29 AMJan 31
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

You'd hope not. They need AS1744

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 17, 2021, 2:47:01 AMFeb 17
to Aussie Highways
There is a similar sign like this further up on Buntine Highway. See OP here. Looks like it's done by the same designer.
Bad Buntine.png

Paul Rands

Mar 21, 2021, 9:25:35 AMMar 21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yep that linked sign is poo too

Adrian Biankin

Jun 8, 2021, 8:06:40 AMJun 8
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 9, 2021, 6:22:12 AMJun 9
to Aussie Highways
and i love this sign below too:

only a few hundred metres from the one you linked

AlienChex

Jun 10, 2021, 5:31:51 AMJun 10
to Aussie Highways
The signs in central coast and Newcastle areas have really suffered. Most of them are the same signs from early 2000s with tacky coverplates

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2021, 6:04:56 AMJun 10
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

It's the same in many regional areas. If the coverplates were installed properly then it'd be less of an issue, but many were not.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 10, 2021, 10:04:46 AMJun 10
to Aussie Highways
All the signs on A43, A37, B53, A49 (except the black one in Erina) should be replaced. A37 even led me to thinking whether there was something underneath it.

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 10, 2021, 10:31:59 PMJun 10
to Aussie Highways
Also, the signs in the NE area or the Central West is a lot better than these. The Riverina has suffered a lot too, with whacky B75 coverplates, and a sad woomargama way sign (which Mark spotted) and some SR86's which were never meant to be there in the first place, (although it is a somewhat useful route)

The far west is not bad, but there's a couple of missing B79's northbound near Broken Hill, and the mid north coast and north has not suffered a lot.

Adrian Biankin

Jun 28, 2021, 3:33:29 AMJun 28
to Aussie Highways

Adrian Biankin

Jun 28, 2021, 3:46:10 AMJun 28
to Aussie Highways
Another one!

Wrong markers markers for the Southbound side of the F3 (this was before 2013). It was meant to have NH1 on both sides.

Sam Laybutt

Jun 28, 2021, 4:15:49 AMJun 28
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Quite a number of signs related to this section of the F3 (Kangy Angy to Doyalson) were manufactured with a NR1/NH15 duplex on them, covered by NH1. It seems to have been an aborted plan to extend NH15 into Sydney in lieu of signing NH1.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:43:23 PMJul 25
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 26, 2021, 12:19:10 AMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
I had always wished that they had only used one sign

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 28, 2021, 4:31:37 AMJul 28
to Aussie Highways
Here's one that I'm not a fan of: https://goo.gl/maps/PjTUjug2qrPYH34R7

Just never type B51 with D series. Looks ugly :(

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 28, 2021, 4:31:44 AMJul 28
to Aussie Highways
Here's another terrible one down B51

In my opinion, someone needs to do all the B51 signs again.

James Clarke

Jul 28, 2021, 11:57:31 PMJul 28
to Aussie Highways
This sign bothers me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.9400658,115.7605393,3a,75y,2.13h,82.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssuTJxm5UdLPt2oQM_0GLKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Oceanic Dr is the road the crosses over hear. The road that continues is SR71 West Coast Hwy. This implies that Oceanic Drive continues on to Scarborough. No to even mention that the sign is broken and has been for years,

This is another leg of the same intersection, it implies West Coast Hwy continues straight on and left and righ

Adrian Biankin

Jul 30, 2021, 10:16:26 PMJul 30
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 31, 2021, 10:18:09 AMJul 31
to Aussie Highways
Oh no, not another sign in the Blacktown LGA! I hate how they always use Arial/Arimo instead of AS 1744

Aevion

Aug 1, 2021, 1:46:55 AMAug 1
to Aussie Highways
There's some incredibly nasty ones around the Lethbridge Park area near Blacktown as well. Awful mixtures of white-on-blue and black-on-white in various shapes and sizes, like this example;

I'd select some Queensland ones but I wouldn't know where to start....

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 1, 2021, 7:38:01 AMAug 1
to Aussie Highways
For Qld, let's start with the NR83/A2/A6 junction at Cloncurry: https://goo.gl/maps/CEEugWNsxJJpAFK38

I've never really understood the purpose of extending A6 on a duplex with A2.

Sam Laybutt

Aug 1, 2021, 7:47:56 AMAug 1
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A6 directly replaced NR78, which was signed in both directions from the NR83 jct at Cloncurry through to Townsville, inclusive of a duplex with NH66 between NR83 and the Flinders/Landsborough jct east of Cloncurry.

As if the 15km duplex between the NH66/NR78 and NH66/NR83 junctions wasn't strange enough - although potentially of some benefit to directly link the north-south NR83 with the major east-west NR78 - there was also a duplex all the way to Mt Isa signed only in the eastbound direction.

It's fairly obvious that someone at TMR was convinced that the Mt Isa-Townsville corridor was so important it justified having a continuous route number, at least for eastbound travel. When A6 was signed, it directly replaced NR78, including these odd duplexes.

In typical Queensland fashion, though, they have made a complete clusterfuck of new signs at the A2/A6 junction with a whole bunch of NHA6 shields (minus the 'NATIONAL' legend for added difficulty) and completely ignoring the fact that A2 is the route that continues west. Yikes.

Aug 1, 2021, 8:17:27 PMAug 1
to Aussie Highways
The only triplex in Australia without tourist drives: https://goo.gl/maps/poS9UxS8dTmgUmxa9

Sam Laybutt

Aug 1, 2021, 8:23:41 PMAug 1
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There was this one, but it appears it was always an error (at worst) or an aborted plan (at best):

Sent: Monday, 2 August 2021 6:33 AM

To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:20:38 PMAug 2
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Ooh Arial Bold :)

Very typical of BCC signage unfortunately

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:23:19 PMAug 2
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The one you linked was a blue text on beige background when it was installed. It seems UV hasn't been kind to it. It replaced a 1970s made white text on blue background sign, which were common when I lived at Willmot in the 80s, and remained in situ until those beige things went in during the 90s

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:25:50 PMAug 2
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:44:14 PMAug 2
to Aussie Highways
Some of those old white-on-blue ones are still there, it appears. I know its not their jurisdiction but man I wish RMS would go through there and redo them all.

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:47:24 PMAug 2
to Aussie Highways
There's some lovely signs at the recently-upgraded Moonie Highway/Warrego Highway junction at Dalby as well. Especially this lovely specimen.

https://goo.gl/maps/fpfWmynF4GiVW1Wj8 Great view from this angle. Can see it perfectly.

https://goo.gl/maps/aSeBq5F3ads5Uu9t5 Bit closer up, can't get any closer as it switches to an older view (and it appears the older signs weren't much better).

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:52:53 PMAug 2
to Aussie Highways
Found these nasties along a newly-upgraded stretch of Campbelltown Road as well. Considering the AD signs (and the railway station ID signs) are of decent RMS design I don't understand how these disgusting examples made it through.

https://goo.gl/maps/4W7oDfbjc1V7i4pd8 Just one of the horrendous examples.

Sam Laybutt

Aug 3, 2021, 12:32:48 AMAug 3
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A2/SR49/SR82 in Dalby

This one is even signed in both directions.

Sent: Monday, 2 August 2021 6:33 AM
To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 3, 2021, 2:37:30 AMAug 3
to Aussie Highways
Why??? I don't understand Qld's route numbering half the time.

Paul R

Aug 3, 2021, 10:42:39 AMAug 3