Blackheath / Mt Victoria Bypass Super Tunnel

AlienChex

May 3, 2021, 4:15:06 AMMay 3
to Aussie Highways
https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/about/news-events/news/ministerial/2021/20210503-australias-longest-road-tunnel-proposed-for-great-western-highway-upgrade.html

Looks like the gov are ready to pull out all the stops and build a massive tunnel beneath Blackheath and Mt Victoria. One step closer to a fully four lane Lithgow - Katoomba highway, but what do you guys think? Overkill? Or is it nessecary?

Personally I don’t see any other way. Widening the road through Mt Vic and Blackheath just further congests the small towns, and the Mt Victoria pass just slows traffic down anyway (even though it’s already four lanes). This is the key to crossing the blueys

jrg

May 4, 2021, 12:09:19 AMMay 4
to Aussie Highways
I agree Alex, I really hope this goes ahead. And as an old fart, I hope I'm around to drive it when it opens.

There are big advantages in joining the two tunnels. A Mt Vic to Hartley tunnel must surely be quite steep, given the terrain, so starting the tunnel at Blackheath would enable a better gradient over the whole 11km length - surely a big selling point for the road transport industry.

And 11km isn't really a long tunnel by world standards - it doesn't even make the top 10 by length.

John

Vincent

May 4, 2021, 11:20:49 PMMay 4
to Aussie Highways
Frankly I'll believe it when I see it, this feels like the kind of project that would be vulnerable to a change of government.

The Hume and Pacific Highway upgrades could be sold as linking one capital city to another capital city, so it was a fairly compelling use case. Traditionally less attention has been dedicated to building infrastructure west of the mountains - it's been incremental and reactive. There has been a convergence of factors in the past 14 months - increased domestic travel due to COVID and the partial closure of Bells Line of Road - which has led to increased traffic loads. Without these factors, I doubt whether we'd be talking about this at all.

Having said all of that, if the tunnel does go ahead I think it should start at the bottom of Victoria Pass and end where the divided highway begins at Katoomba. Tale as old as time, the highway clogs up where two lanes become one at multiple points in both directions. A tunnel of this length bypasses the worst of the pinch points. There will still be heavy traffic in the usual places - Springwood, Faulconbridge and Blaxland are the worst. However, the only alternative that would fully alleviate this would be a tunnel under the mountains which the government has already ruled out.

Cheers,
Vincent.

#130km/hforthehume

May 6, 2021, 9:00:18 PMMay 6
to Aussie Highways
This will be one step closer from people being able to travel from Bathurst to Sydney on a daily basis

Paul Rands

May 8, 2021, 2:17:17 AMMay 8
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

A lot are already using the Bathurst Flyer trains

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Adrian Biankin

Jul 21, 2021, 7:50:36 PMJul 21
to Aussie Highways
When it does open, I think its route number would probably be M32 or something...

Untitled (11).png

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 21, 2021, 11:27:07 PMJul 21
to Aussie Highways
that could very well happen if Lithgow was bypassed and the made it a divided highway from Lithgow to Bathurst (in which only 12% is). That would be NSW's highest M route number, but I'm afraid it'll probably stay as A32.

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 22, 2021, 9:31:15 AMJul 22
to Aussie Highways
on second thought, your proposal could happen under certain conditions
  1. If TfNSW is okay with short routes, and interchanging route numbers
  2. If the extend M4 west as A4 and then it changes to M32
  3. If an extension is built up to Glenbrook/Lapstone. Also, is it just me, or does Great Western Motorway sound unusual?

Adrian Biankin

Jul 22, 2021, 8:04:09 PMJul 22
to Aussie Highways
I was thinking they should've done upgraded the two-lane road into a freeway grade road, with a median in the middle and all, when they were doing the upgrades/fixups earlier this year around Lithgow(Hartley)/Oberon interchange.

dfdsfsdfds.png

AlienChex

Jul 24, 2021, 2:55:13 AMJul 24
to Aussie Highways
I doubt they’ll change to M32, it’s easier to just keep it consistent and have it A32. M4 ends back in Emu Plains when the road becomes a divided Highway through the blueys

If you did the Elon Musk “tunnel under the entire blue mountains” idea, then that would be M4, and the old road could be a continuation of A32. But that’s a pipe dream lol

Adrian Biankin

Jul 24, 2021, 6:10:02 AMJul 24
to Aussie Highways
I reckon it'll be a different route number. If it was M4 all the way, then it'll be the longest Moneyway in Australia.

Adrian Biankin

Jul 24, 2021, 6:41:36 AMJul 24
to Aussie Highways
jvfdsjzncvkdsxm vfd.jpg

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 24, 2021, 9:24:01 PMJul 24
to Aussie Highways
Question: What's a moneyway? Is it just what Victorians call as Tollway, or what is it?
Also, NSW doesn't use borders any more

Adrian Biankin

Jul 25, 2021, 3:22:43 AMJul 25
to Aussie Highways
A moneyway is a tolled motorway here in NSW. The tunnel tolls cost a lot so, that's why I put that there.

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 25, 2021, 8:39:21 AMJul 25
to Aussie Highways
  1. NSW does not toll regional roads. Only Queensland does that
  2. No one calls it "Moneyway" or at least here in Sydney, and instead it's just: MOTORWAY TOLL or TUNNEL TOLL

Rob Tilley

Jul 25, 2021, 4:11:49 PMJul 25
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Geez someone can’t take a joke…..

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Jul 2021, at 22:39, #130km/hforthehume <thenorthernt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Adrian Biankin

Jul 25, 2021, 8:27:05 PMJul 25
to Aussie Highways
It would be a moneyway to people because the cost of the tunnel tolls would be big.

AlienChex

Jul 25, 2021, 11:19:27 PMJul 25
to Aussie Highways

Eww duplicate alphanumerics 🤢. ACT moment

I do like the idea of a Blue Mountains super tunnel, a pure fantasy 50km tunnel from M4 to Lithgow.

Rob Tilley

Jul 26, 2021, 12:20:17 AMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
Should call it the Cash Cow Moneyway lol

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 26, 2021, 12:20:32 AMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
Tassie moment for me...

But in all honesty, we need a motorway and tunnel from Glenbrook all the way to Orange or even Wellington or Dubbo

Adrian Biankin

Jul 26, 2021, 6:14:58 AMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
As I said earlier, they should upgrade the existing (or build) a new Freeway/Motorway, or an expressway... \

 sdfsadsa (1).png

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 26, 2021, 8:55:09 AMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
I like that proposal, except for two things:
1. The altitude difference between Linden and Wentworth Falls is quite gradual here, so it may as well go on a more straightforward route.
2. Why even bother to go to Katoomba? Build exits at Medlow Bath and Wentworth Falls so it doesn't have to suddenly go up in altitude and down again. (a northernly alignment would do this job, but a southerly won't.)

Adrian Biankin

Jul 26, 2021, 7:26:29 PMJul 26
to Aussie Highways

Betteralignment.jpgplan 2.jpg

Adrian Biankin

Jul 26, 2021, 7:35:13 PMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
LithgowtoBathurst.jpg

Adrian Biankin

Jul 26, 2021, 7:54:51 PMJul 26
to Aussie Highways
distancefromlithgow.jpg
Message has been deleted

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 27, 2021, 8:49:33 PMJul 27
to Aussie Highways
Here's my proposal for the eastern section. I was a little inconsiderate of nature here, but I took geography as key here
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 22.39.56.png

Adrian Biankin

Jul 28, 2021, 8:10:15 PMJul 28
to Aussie Highways