WIN News - Cars heading south on the new Wollongong bypass - 1968

Vincent

Jul 20, 2022, 9:23:34 PM7/20/22
to Aussie Highways
Hi everyone,

It looks like the University of Wollongong is progressively digitising and uploading the WIN News archives. I've struck some early gold - footage of the F6 from early 1968. Link here: https://archivesonline.uow.edu.au/nodes/view/14763

Gird your loins for some very alluring pre-metric and black signage. The piece looks like it was straight newsreader to camera without sound, and I think the digitised script is also available online.

I'm going to continue to look through the archive to see what else I can dig up. I continue to be amazed by the quantity and diversity of what's available online - this really is a world away from what was available when I first joined this group back in the day.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Sam L

Jul 20, 2022, 11:01:26 PM7/20/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Love this, great footage.

Jul 21, 2022, 2:45:29 AM7/21/22
to Aussie Highways
Oh mate, that's an awesome find!!

Adrian Biankin

Jul 21, 2022, 7:26:14 AM7/21/22
to Aussie Highways
Looks like every car is nearly missing the Princes Hwy exit ;)

Vincent Muller

Jul 21, 2022, 11:04:26 AM7/21/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I think the story was that the signage was confusing and was soon going to be replaced :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/5695eeaf-cbb4-4cff-85df-ab68aa947b07n%40googlegroups.com.

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 21, 2022, 9:39:16 PM7/21/22
to Aussie Highways
Very interesting footage. It really feels like a place in the United States but with cars driving on the left instead of the right, especially with the old imperial speed sign.

Paul Rands

Jul 23, 2022, 5:47:47 AM7/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Nice find. I'd say looking at the footage, it was used in a news report about the extension opening and people not used to the changed conditions

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com