Ourimbah Interchange Car Park

Bradley T.

Oct 12, 2021, 1:42:08 AM10/12/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I just came across a car park that has me scratching my head trying to figure it out what it’s for.

There’s a car park near the M1 interchange in Ourimbah on the Central Coast:

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Sam L

Oct 12, 2021, 1:53:26 AM10/12/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
People car pool together to Sydney. There are similar small car parks at Tuggerah and Warnervale interchanges, a big one at Kariong, and there used to be a lot of scattered parked cars around the Morisset interchange too. Obviously pre-covid.

Oct 12, 2021, 4:03:50 AM10/12/21
to Aussie Highways
There is one of those up here (sunshine coast QLD):

Adrian Biankin

Oct 12, 2021, 10:02:04 PM10/12/21
to Aussie Highways
Maybe it's an extended car park for the Big Flower next door?

Vincent

Oct 12, 2021, 11:20:38 PM10/12/21
to Aussie Highways
There's a similar setup at Mount Ousley - https://goo.gl/maps/GDs1bqFwT2qrHmCW9

Luke Wright

Oct 13, 2021, 1:24:36 AM10/13/21
to Aussie Highways
The ones on the Central Coast definitely marked as a Car Pool park-and-ride - similar signage to train park-and-rides, except a car-pool-ish icon replacing the relevant public transport icon.

They do make sense for the F3 - I'm sure you could have arguments about whether it'd be better to build up the car parks and train services on the Wyong to Woy Woy corridor instead, but given people are going to drive regardless, having these car pool parks (at least in non-Covid times) reduces the likelihood that the F3 becomes a car park itself, which it was gaining a reputation for all too often in the past 10-15 years.

Sam L

Oct 13, 2021, 3:35:38 AM10/13/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Prior to the car parks being constructed there were scattered parked cars on shoulders and other random gravel clearings. I think they were built as a reactive measure to better control an existing issue rather than to specifically promote carpooling from the Central Coast.