SA: North-South Mwy Torrens 2 Darlington

Sam L

Nov 28, 2021, 8:12:04 PM11/28/21
to aussie highways
The reference design for this giant motorway project - $9.9B / 10.5km - was released today:

Link to interactive map:

The transformation of South Road further north is incredible.

Construction of Stage 1 of the T2D Project (south of Anzac Highway) is expected to start in 2023 and take about five years to complete, while work on Stage 2 (north of Anzac Highway) is scheduled to begin in 2026, subject to planning, approvals and funding, with completion scheduled for 2030.

Nihat

Nov 29, 2021, 5:57:12 AM11/29/21
to Aussie Highways
This will be toll free do we know?

Aevion

Nov 30, 2021, 3:17:03 AM11/30/21
to Aussie Highways
Whoa.....that's one huge project.

Tristan Anderson

Nov 30, 2021, 5:59:11 AM11/30/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

There likely will be no tolls, as no roads in South Australia have tolls. It would be political suicide if it was tolled.

I'm disappointed as one major movement, to and from Cross Rd (A3) towards the East, hasn't been accounted for. There is very limited room for vehicles to do a U-turn at Anzac Hwy (A5) so that is not an ideal solution.

Tristan Anderson

Nov 30, 2021, 6:29:11 PM11/30/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The next motorway project in Adelaide will be a tunnel to replace the Cross Road link between the M1 and M2. But where will that join the M2? I didn't notice any obvious provisioning.

Dec 1, 2021, 6:47:11 PM12/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Good point Sam.

It has been a while since I have spent any time in Adelaide, and the development of this north-south corridor is remarkable.  But it is puzzling how you come down the freeway through the hills and get dropped into suburban streets with no obvious priority route to link in.  Surely this must be improved sometime soon?

Phillip

Dec 2, 2021, 6:23:49 AM12/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Once the tunnels are completed all the trucks would use Cross Rd so there will be pressure to finish it, that road will become very, very congested and noisy.