New Woodville Road sign possible error!

Johnny Telcher

Jul 23, 2022, 3:30:48 AM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
There is a new sign on Woodville Road northbound at the intersection with Parramatta Road and the M4 Motorway. The new sign that replaces the old direction sign for the m4 has no route number! I went past it on Wednesday and I expected to see a naked alpha, but instead it was blank with no coverplate in sight. I forgot to take a picture, but when google street view updates or I drive past it again, I will show it.

AlienChex

Jul 23, 2022, 8:31:01 PM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Ive seen a few new signs lately that lack route numbers for established routes. What’s up with that? They run out of cover plates? 😂

Aevion

Jul 23, 2022, 9:44:13 PM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Is this the sign you're referring to?

I think that'll need a bit more than a coverplate.

Nihat

Jul 23, 2022, 10:01:13 PM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
i never understood why they added the "western" to motorway. it is ridiculous. everyone refers it to the M4. they never added the "south western" to the M5 and rightly so.

Johnny Telcher

Jul 23, 2022, 11:01:35 PM7/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is! It looks like Google street view has updated.

Aevion

Jul 23, 2022, 11:45:38 PM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Ghastly sign indeed. Perhaps another temporary sign that became permanent? Would explain the lack of an M4 shield.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with signage simply reading "MOTORWAY". But if they're going to insist on including the full name on the signs, I think they could at least shorten MOTORWAY to MWY.

Brendan Terrett

Jul 24, 2022, 2:42:14 AM7/24/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This is what happens when the sign shop runs out of yellow ink

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 at 11:44, Aevion <vortec-...@live.com.au> wrote:

AlienChex

Jul 24, 2022, 2:54:39 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
All motorways have official names
M1 Pacific/Princes
M2 Hills
M4 Western
M5 South Western
M7 Westlink

But only M1 and M4 is referred to by name on the signs

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 24, 2022, 9:23:09 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
I actually think they should use the full name of motorways like Queensland. It's not too hard to add "Hills" for the M2 or "South-Western" for the M5 and it cuts down the confusion. Had they done this, Northconnex would have a route number (M7). They do sometimes say "Western Motorway" on radio reports so I guess not everyone refers to the M4 Western Mwy as M4.

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 24, 2022, 9:23:23 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
@AlienChex regarding "All motorways have official names". What about the M8? Isn't the M8 just officially called the M8 Motorway? Also, the Lane Cove Tunnel and the Hume Motorway are also referred to by name on the signs.

Luke W

Jul 24, 2022, 9:30:44 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
RMS only (re-)added the full name to signs on the M4 when the motorway became toll-free - and that's the start of the toll-free section so... eh?

The M5 did get signed as "M5 Motorway" before the alpha-numerics came in (as if the metroad symbol wasn't enough to make it redundant) in a couple of places... and of course the real oddity of the Sydney-Newcastle freeway being signed as "F3 Freeway" a decade and a half after the number stopped being used. Can't remember if parts of the M4 or M2 copped the same treatment.

Signing them just as "Motorway" would have certainly just been an extension of the old days of signing entries to freeways as "Freeway"... and it works when the motorway companies actually did successfully promote it them as the "M4" and "M5" etc.

Luke W

Jul 24, 2022, 9:36:05 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
Could be a few things. It's still part of Westconnex (and the signs going onto it say that) but it's different in that the M8 is and won't be not the only part of it. Some people could probably still call it the "New M5" too, which... y'know.

As it stands, the M8 is just signed as "Tunnel" (as is standard for tunnels with numbers) which bothers me a bit.

Lane Cove Tunnel is an oddity in that it has both name and number signed - modern day NSW standards would probably sign it "Tunnel" too.  Cross City Tunnel and NorthConnex also get passes on that given they have no number.

Johnny Telcher

Jul 25, 2022, 4:27:38 AM7/25/22
to Aussie Highways
Hopefully, somebody notices it and they either put a coverplate on it or replace it.

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 15, 2022, 10:52:02 PM8/15/22
to Aussie Highways
One possible reason why the Lane Cove Tunnel got a pass was to prevent confusion with the older M2 Tunnel in Epping; the signs around it call the tunnel "M2 Tunnel" so...