What happened to traffic buttons?

Johnny Telcher

Dec 2, 2023, 5:48:39 AM12/2/23
to Aussie Highways
I wonder why traffic buttons AKA Botts' dots, and turtles suddenly were stopped being used in most of Australia? The only roads that I know that still have them in Australia are: The Federal Hwy between Lake George and Sutton and the Hume Hwy near Marulan in NSW, a few bridges in the ACT, and the SE Fwy in the Adelaide Hills, SA. So can you tell me why they are not used anymore, and please tell me more roads that have them. If you don't know what a traffic button is, it is a white 10cm (4") plastic dome or disc that is glued down to the road just like road reflectors/cats eyes. If you look at them. please search "botts' dots" because you look up "traffic button", it will come up with results about PB/5 pedestrian buttons.

Johnny Telcher

Dec 2, 2023, 5:51:30 AM12/2/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
*look them up* I meant! Sorry for the confusion.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 9:48 PM Johnny Telcher <johnny...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder why traffic buttons AKA Botts' dots, and turtles suddenly were stopped being used in most of Australia? The only roads that I know that still have them in Australia are: The Federal Hwy between Lake George and Sutton and the Hume Hwy near Marulan in NSW, a few bridges in the ACT, and the SE Fwy in the Adelaide Hills, SA. So can you tell me why they are not used anymore, and please tell me more roads that have them. If you don't know what a traffic button is, it is a white 10cm (4") plastic dome or disc that is glued down to the road just like road reflectors/cats eyes. If you look at them. please search "botts' dots" because you look up "traffic button", it will come up with results about PB/5 pedestrian buttons.

Adrian Biankin

Dec 2, 2023, 6:18:52 AM12/2/23
to Aussie Highways
NSW stopped using them in the 2000s. Probably because of the same reason California stopped using them. There are some remnant ceramic dots throughout the Ourimbah interchange on the F3/M1.

Nihat

Dec 3, 2023, 3:14:12 AM12/3/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
canberra had them for the longest time i think and finally realised they were not efficient and needed to be maintained well for it to last.