Any old black NR1 Pacific Highway signage?

Adrian Biankin

May 27, 2021, 6:36:04 AM5/27/21
to Aussie Highways
Hey Guys,

does anybody have any photos of the old black NR1 Pacific Highway signage particulary between Wahroonga and Kariong? Apart from screenshots from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOHFIPHH4A and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VpmRt9wBjA&ab_channel=NSWRoadsNSWRoads

Cheers, Adrian

Adrian Biankin

May 27, 2021, 7:04:35 AM5/27/21
to Aussie Highways

Brendan Terrett

May 27, 2021, 10:08:22 AM5/27/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The screenshots from those videos are pretty much the only ones that have surfaced so far.

Paul Rands

Jun 6, 2021, 3:22:52 AM6/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

And most are vastly different to what was on the freeway in the early to mid 80s, with a couple of exceptions.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Adrian Biankin

Oct 2, 2021, 8:38:09 AM10/2/21
to Aussie Highways

Paul R

Oct 22, 2021, 9:38:05 PM10/22/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Not one of those are black signs. They're all full reflective green signs installed in the 90s.

Adrian Biankin

Oct 25, 2021, 9:47:33 PM10/25/21
to Aussie Highways
They looked like black signs on Google Street View...

Paul R

Oct 29, 2021, 10:54:24 AM10/29/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately GSV has colour issues on the older images. Sam from Ozroads has photos of the 1980s black signs along the Old Pacific Hwy.

Adrian Biankin

Feb 1, 2022, 4:03:36 AM2/1/22
to Aussie Highways
IMG_2598.JPG
Here's a nice shot of an old Pacific Hwy Sign on Mann St, taken in 1970. (Photo taken from a FB group)

roe...@gmx.net

Feb 1, 2022, 5:05:39 AM2/1/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Nice. When did Australia actually switch the font on the black road signs from all caps as used here to mixed case?

Sent using the mobile mail app

Aevion

Feb 13, 2022, 5:56:37 AM2/13/22
to Aussie Highways
Late 60's/early 70's??

Paul R

Feb 23, 2022, 7:14:11 AM2/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Biankin

Mar 12, 2022, 7:38:29 AM3/12/22
to Aussie Highways

Got another nice pic from the same FB group.
This is a shot of Calga Interchange taken in the early 1960s.
IMG_2946.JPG

Paul R

Mar 13, 2022, 6:45:39 AM3/13/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Very nice find! There used to be few signs in that style around that area when I was a kid in the 80s. Even on the Pacific Hwy itself.

Adrian Biankin

Apr 27, 2022, 6:26:33 AM4/27/22
to Aussie Highways
Here's a pic taken in Sydney, taken from the same FB group.
Has a nice NR1 marker on it and seems to have a black background.
IMG_3389.JPG

Adrian Biankin

Apr 27, 2022, 6:35:32 AM4/27/22
to Aussie Highways
Found the location of where the sign used to be, just after the Harbour Bridge section of the Bradfield Hwy.

Adrian Biankin

Apr 27, 2022, 7:16:06 AM4/27/22
to Aussie Highways
I also found some interesting pictures from the same group.

Pacific Hwy, Mooney Point in the 1940/50s, with a toll plaza, north of the bridge. (I didn't know that)
IMG_3390.JPG

Pacific Hwy, West Gosford in the 1970s (Hasn't been duplicated yet)
IMG_3398.JPG

Paul R

Apr 28, 2022, 10:05:43 PM4/28/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Biankin

May 16, 2022, 7:49:55 AM5/16/22
to Aussie Highways
Not particularly a black sign, but an old Highway 1 sign, screen-grabbed from the Road Makers Book  highway 1.PNG

#130km/hforthehume

May 16, 2022, 9:30:00 AM5/16/22
to Aussie Highways
realistically, who would want to drive from Cairns to Darwin going all around the country ;-)

AlienChex

May 17, 2022, 4:12:01 AM5/17/22
to Aussie Highways
Was there a time in Highway 1’s life where it didn’t have a section that cut across from Darwin to cairns via Burke Dev road?

Paul R

May 17, 2022, 10:14:59 PM5/17/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Quite a few people do it and want to do it. I'd love to give it a go one day. I have done large swathes of it and will be doing a return trip from the east coast to west coast again later in the year, all going well.

Paul R

May 17, 2022, 10:20:57 PM5/17/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Signage for NR1 across the top between Normanton and Borroloola is not consistent, as a National Route is not normally signposted on unsealed roads, and some unsealed sections still remain.

Phillip McCallum

May 25, 2022, 2:02:50 AM5/25/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Definitely.

When we drove around Australia in 1974 it wasn’t there.  Somewhere out near Mount Surprise, there was a sign saying “End 1”

Phillip

Sam L

May 25, 2022, 3:40:46 AM5/25/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I believe there is still a big gap in western QLD - no NR1 signage between Normanton area and the NT Border. Inside NT there are some signs with NH1(!) on Wollogorang Road, but also not comprehensive.

May 25, 2022, 10:37:06 AM5/25/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Streetview confirms this, though the imagery is mostly from 2008

Phillip McCallum

May 25, 2022, 10:20:57 PM5/25/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I will get to drive SOME of this route on 20th July for a work trip.  But only Normanton to Atherton Tablelands unfortunately.  It seems I cannot come up with anyone who will pay me to drive to Burketown and into NT.

Phillip

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you are confident this email is genuine. ICT Services

I believe there is still a big gap in western QLD - no NR1 signage between Normanton area and the NT Border. Inside NT there are some signs with NH1(!) on Wollogorang Road, but also not comprehensive.

When we drove around Australia in 1974 it wasn’t there.  Somewhere out near Mount Surprise, there was a sign saying “End 1”

Phillip

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you are confident this email is genuine. ICT Services

Was there a time in Highway 1’s life where it didn’t have a section that cut across from Darwin to cairns via Burke Dev road?

Paul R

May 25, 2022, 10:48:43 PM5/25/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Can't wait for your report and pix! Safe trip :)