Sydney Gateway proposal

Henry

Sep 13, 2018, 12:01:46 AM9/13/18
to Aussie Highways
A community update has been released for the Sydney Gateway proposal http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydney-south/sydney-gateway/index.html

It involves direct access to Qantas Drive with flyover ramps to the domestic terminals.

I was hoping to see a direct tunnel to Foreshore Road.

Musa Hodzic

Sep 20, 2018, 9:01:44 PM9/20/18
to Aussie Highways
Interesting.

Paul Rands

Nov 12, 2018, 10:04:08 PM11/12/18
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Sydney really needs what Brisbane and Melbourne has, a proper grade-separated limited access high speed road into the airport.

Paul Rands

Nov 2, 2020, 7:30:44 PM11/2/20
to Aussie Highways
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/media-releases/new-gateway-to-sydney-on-its-way

Project approved but construction won't be completed until 2024. That means around 6-12 months after the M4-M5 link is done which means congestion on roads around the airport for motorists heading from the north

Paul Rands

Nov 3, 2020, 7:47:20 AM11/3/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Oooh, I saw a rude phrase in NSW "Toll Free"! Very nice. 4 years wait is not too bad if it stays on schedule.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Jason Kumar

Nov 3, 2020, 5:27:40 PM11/3/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I suspect they are building in more fat now given the delays in the other recent projects.

Hubert Lam

Aug 15, 2023, 11:54:47 PM8/15/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A new page on the Sydney Gateway project portal has appeared with the upcoming four stages of the traffic switches detailed:

AlienChex

Aug 16, 2023, 6:50:41 AM8/16/23
to Aussie Highways
Finally, the gateway is a missing link that will make getting from the west to the airport so sooo much faster

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 16, 2023, 11:39:20 PM8/16/23
to Aussie Highways
Why is the link to St Peters Interchange the very last stage? I guess it doesn't make much of a difference in the long term, but I'm curious to know what was their rationale.

davis

Aug 17, 2023, 3:57:48 AM8/17/23
to Aussie Highways
It's just staging. You need to open new bits to complete the redevelopment of old bits. In this case there's lots of bridges, so instead of staging onto temp new bits, they basically have to open final new bits.

Hubert Lam

Aug 18, 2023, 10:16:28 PM8/18/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The Canal Road overbridge has far more work to be done on it than the other bits.

I visit the International Terminal quite frequently, and by the looks of things, if they wanted to open Stage 1 + 2 next week I think it'd be entirely achievable 😂

Hubert Lam

Sep 26, 2023, 3:32:49 AM9/26/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Stage 1 of the Sydney Gateway traffic switches will happen in mid November.

image.png

Hubert Lam

Oct 12, 2023, 7:07:12 AM10/12/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The Upcoming Traffic Switches page has now been updated with the following dates:

image.png

Hubert Lam

Oct 20, 2023, 9:25:19 PM10/20/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Stage 2 is now happening ahead of Stage 1.

  • Flyover will be switched on 12/11/2023.
  • International Terminal connection will be switched over on 19/11/2023
image.png

#130km/hforthehume

Nov 11, 2023, 7:16:53 PM11/11/23
to Aussie Highways
It is 12 November now. Has any information come up regarding the flyover to the Domestic Terminals, yet? Can't find anything on the caportal website.

Nihat

Nov 11, 2023, 8:54:44 PM11/11/23
to Aussie Highways
According to livetraffic it is now open as scheduled

JR

Nov 12, 2023, 12:53:20 AM11/12/23
to Aussie Highways
Sydney Airport website says the overpass has now opened: https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corporate/planning-and-projects/sydney-gateway

Sydney Gateway partially opens next Sunday to connect the two terminals in the eastbound direction (westbound won't open until next year). Looks like the Link Road connection will open as well.

Hubert Lam

Nov 14, 2023, 3:04:33 AM11/14/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Drove past it on Sunday night. The new Deborah Lawrie Flyover is definitely open for traffic as expected.

Hubert Lam

Feb 2, 2024, 7:47:53 AMFeb 2
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there'll be another phase of traffic changes that's not really documented on the existing Sydney Gateway website.

From the February 2024 work update:

image.png

  • February 11 - westbound traffic on Airport Drive rerouted to existing southbound Twin Arch Bridge, original Airport Drive closed. Looks like the existing one will become two-way.
  • Mid year - new Twin Arch Bridge opens. I guess that's also when the connection to St Peters Interchange also opens?

Nihat

Feb 2, 2024, 8:21:49 PMFeb 2
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
its interesting the gradient on the new arch bridges, wasn't expecting that. i wonder if they could have levelled it further.

Nihat

Mar 5, 2024, 12:32:54 AMMar 5
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
i have also noticed coming out of the M8 this onramp constructed earlier has been dug up. not sure what happened there which has resulted in extra construction happening. perhaps this was always temporary?

image.png

Hubert Lam

Mar 24, 2024, 9:05:58 PMMar 24
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
More changes ahead coming in late April, following the latest update published as PDF on the Sydney Gateway site:

image.png

Methinks if the weather is good to us, the rest of it could open as early as June?

Hubert Lam

Apr 6, 2024, 5:23:53 AMApr 6
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Second Twin Arch Bridge opening on 21/4/2024.

image.png

AlienChex

Apr 11, 2024, 8:43:59 PMApr 11
to Aussie Highways
Anyone know when the link to the M8 opens? I make the trip to the Airport frequently and the ride through the WCX has been so smooth except for the part through Mascot

Nihat

Apr 11, 2024, 11:39:36 PMApr 11
to Aussie Highways
Not sure. There's a lot of criss crossing as you know when you get off the M8 onto Gardeners Rd. Most vehicles from the M4 side go onto Kent changing right whereas most from the south west go straight and have to change left.  Hopefully when gateway opens this will alleviate this issue.

#130km/hforthehume

Apr 12, 2024, 12:44:21 AMApr 12
to Aussie Highways
Rat-running through Mascot is still far better than using the old route via A3 and M5 East.

Hubert Lam

Apr 28, 2024, 1:51:07 AMApr 28
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Nihat

Apr 28, 2024, 4:37:20 AMApr 28
to Aussie Highways
Yeah. And you would have seen the onramp to M8 from Gateway still being paved if you exit onto Gardeners Rd, still a bit to go there.

Hubert Lam

May 22, 2024, 5:47:57 AMMay 22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
June 2024 update now available, and the twin arch bridges are expected to be operating at full capacity by the end of June.

image.png

It looks like there's a possibility that the entire International Airport connection would be open at the same time?

Hubert Lam

Jun 11, 2024, 7:48:29 AMJun 11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Temporary signage on the approach to the southbound Twin Arch Bridge indicates 23/6/2024 for another major traffic switch.

The sign says view details on livetraffic.com, but there's nothing on livetraffic.com to indicate any sort of change 🤦‍♂️

In the meantime, there's only minimal signage that needs to be installed at the Gardeners Road exit for the M8, in the southerly direction. Everything else looks ready. What does get a bit annoying is that all of the signage near the International Terminal has focal points to the city via O'Riordan St, rather than the quickest way, which would be to use the M8, and exit at the Rozelle Interchange.

Nihat

Jun 11, 2024, 9:25:58 AMJun 11
to Aussie Highways
The on ramp still needs finalisation from Gateway to M8, I'll take a picture next time for progress

Nihat

Jun 22, 2024, 2:22:02 AMJun 22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes tomorrow full southbound bridge in operation. The signage is fine although i would have preferred more space between Rockdale and M5

Upcoming Traffic Changes on Sydney Gateways Twin Arch Bridge.pdf

Hubert Lam

Jun 24, 2024, 11:13:13 PMJun 24
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The July 2024 works notice that's been uploaded today says nothing more than what Nihat has posted.

I might take a drive out there in the coming days to see what's going on. But it's going to be a busy schedule of opening new infrastructure in the coming months:

  • Metro - August
  • Parramatta Light Rail - TBC
  • Sydney Gateway - TBC
(in no particular order)