New Naked A25 Sign

Paul Rands

Mar 1, 2022, 4:04:07 AM3/1/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Guys,

My friend Todd alerted me to a new alphanumeric sign on Barton Hwy @ Hall (ACT) over the weekend, and I finally had a chance this afternoon to get a pic.

Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Adrian Biankin

Mar 1, 2022, 5:34:10 AM3/1/22
to Aussie Highways
Looks like the boarder-less signs have made its way into ACT.
I think they're gonna replace (or atleast coverplate) some of the signs now.

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 1, 2022, 8:27:25 PM3/1/22
to Aussie Highways
So rip bordered signs :-(. But this sign looks unusually good for a sign in the ACT. I wonder if all the A25 signs will be replaced in the next few years.

(as a side note, it is spelled borders, without the a)

Adrian Biankin

Mar 1, 2022, 8:38:59 PM3/1/22
to Aussie Highways
I think all the remainder signs with the NH or NR route markers might be coverplated with the Borderless route markers. End of an era.

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 2, 2022, 4:43:58 AM3/2/22
to Aussie Highways
It's hard to tell, given the ACT has never successfully completed converting a route from NHs and NRs into alphas. It would be a first if it happened.

Paul R

Mar 2, 2022, 9:07:37 PM3/2/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

This sign is not particularly well laid out from my experience. I used to design signs and this is not something I'd be proud of.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Paul R

Mar 2, 2022, 9:09:20 PM3/2/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I'd say you're right. There's already 2 on Barton Hwy coverplated with borderless A25 route numbers, but those were done back when it was normal to have borders on alphas. I think they may have been done as a bit of a test.

Anything else that has been coverplated, has borders on it. But those all pre-date borderless alphas also.

Adrian Biankin

Mar 22, 2022, 5:37:44 PM3/22/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the remnant A31 route marker has been coverplated…

Brendan Terrett

Mar 22, 2022, 8:33:09 PM3/22/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
image0.jpeg

Sam L

Mar 22, 2022, 10:29:22 PM3/22/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Amazing!

Mar 23, 2022, 6:45:38 AM3/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Finally!

Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
www.expressway.online

AlienChex

Mar 23, 2022, 5:12:18 PM3/23/22
to Aussie Highways
A moment in history.

I hope the inconsistent A1/M1 signage on the Pacific Hwy can follow suit now that it’s mostly motorway grade (save for the Coffs and Heatherbrae bypasses in the works)

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 29, 2022, 8:43:25 PM3/29/22
to Aussie Highways
Finally good to see that fixed. However, what about the coverplated A31 sign right after the "END MOTORWAY" sign? I hope they removed that coverplate – adding a coverplate onto a sign that was perfectly fine is a nobrainer IMO.

Paul R

Mar 29, 2022, 8:52:42 PM3/29/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I went past it on Monday but didn't think to look for it.

Luke W

Apr 6, 2022, 7:12:50 PM4/6/22
to Aussie Highways
They removed the cover plate on that second "A31" sign beyond Berrima at the same time, thankfully.

As for the borderless alphas in the ACT... for a City Services sign, they actually look reasonably good to me, but that's not saying much! The bordered alphas in the ACT - Majura Pkwy aside but they likely didn't do those - looked (predictably) awkward. There is still far too much on one sign and that's been a TAMS/City Services problem since just about day dot...

Paul R

Apr 7, 2022, 8:36:14 PM4/7/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yes I agree, too much info on the signs in the ACT. I have tried to address this in the past though.

The same can be said for QLD signs and in recent times some of the NSW signs too.

In the case of ACT and NSW now, the signs are no longer done in-house but by contractors, except for Hunter region, which can only do maintenance replacements, anything new has to be by contractor.

#130km/hforthehume

Oct 10, 2023, 1:07:26 AM10/10/23
to Aussie Highways
I recently noticed that a few new signs on Parkes Way westbound before the exit to Commonwealth Ave have shiny new borderless A23s.

And they're exemplary compared to the typical ACT sign. Did this happen as part of the light rail works?

Paul Rands

Oct 18, 2023, 8:48:49 AM10/18/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I had a look on Sunday, have to go back and get pix. They are all part of with the ACT Govt or the NCA's new sign rollout for the National Triangle. There's been hundreds of new signs go up since March but many of the new signs have shielded routes not alphas, so someone has made or signed off on several errors.

Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
http://www.expressway.online/

Paul R

Nov 14, 2023, 8:16:32 AM11/14/23
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I went and pulled up at the new alphanumeric AD sign tonight after work. It's westbound on Parkes Way approaching Commonwealth Av interchange. There is a new second AD behind it but it has no route number and nowhere to pull up and get a photo, so I'll either use the dashboard mount and camera or park in Commonwealth Park and walk up to it.

Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
www.expressway.online

20231114_233055.jpg