Exit 0

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 5, 2022, 12:52:52 PM8/5/22
to Aussie Highways
It's a bit off-topic to Australian roads but I stumbled across an Exit 0 sign in Regina, Saskatchewan, and I don't think I've ever seen something similar anywhere else, but there's probably another in Canada. Personally, I think it's a good replacement for Queensland's Exit 78, but are there any other exit 0s elsewhere (not just in Australia, but globally)?

Henry Ung

Aug 6, 2022, 7:04:43 AM8/6/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think an exit 0 needs to be signed in Australia but an origin point needs to be defined.
For example in Sydney the origin point for Sydney's motorways could be the North Sydney exits.
This is where the M1, Pacific Highway, Bradfield Highway (start of M4), and Cahill Expressway all meet (although not one single interchange).
This can be the starting point for M2 going north-west (needs to be duplicated with M1), the M4 going west when the WestConnex tunnels have been opened, and the M1 going south through the Sydney Harbour Tunnel.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 02:52, #130km/hforthehume <thenorthernt...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's a bit off-topic to Australian roads but I stumbled across an Exit 0 sign in Regina, Saskatchewan, and I don't think I've ever seen something similar anywhere else, but there's probably another in Canada. Personally, I think it's a good replacement for Queensland's Exit 78, but are there any other exit 0s elsewhere (not just in Australia, but globally)?

roe...@gmx.net

Aug 6, 2022, 2:02:24 PM8/6/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Whether or not you have a km0 for roads originating in a particular town, exit 0 is by nature a different animal. If only it was because some central point of origin (eg Puerto del Sol in Madrid) won’t ever have a motorway to it, let alone one that has an exit in that single kilometer.

If you have exit 0, it is always going to be on the actual point of origin of a motorway, a state border where numbering is being reset at best. Responding to the original question, Canada has a number of exit 0’s, and so has Spain (eg the exit when you enter from France near San Sebastián). In the US the convention seems to be that exits in the first mile always become exit 1, even if conventional rounding would have resulted in zero. Less sure about other countries using distance-based exit numbering, but you obviously also need to bear in mind that many routes don’t exactly start at 0.0 but slightly higher to leave some flexibility - so how many exit 0 could there be on conventional rounding? In China they reset exit numbers every 1000 kilometers, so you could run into exit 0 there midway. Unless they, too, have a rule against it.

Lachlan Sims

Aug 6, 2022, 8:18:48 PM8/6/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There's an Exit 0 in Anthony, Texas (just west of El Paso) where there's an exit on I-10 a few hundred feet from the New Mexico state line.

image.png

Lachlan Sims

Aug 6, 2022, 8:23:12 PM8/6/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com