VPC: 🌈 Rainbow Road eUpdate Vol. 62

Michael Barnett OAM

Jun 27, 2024, 9:22:14 AMJun 27
to AusQueer, Queer Melbourne News

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Victorian Pride Centre <co...@pridecentre.org.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 at 12:32
Subject: 🌈 Rainbow Road eUpdate Vol. 62
To: Michael <con...@aleph.org.au>

VPC's Rainbow Road eUpdate - get connected, be informed

View this email in your browser
Rainbow Road - Vol. 62 27/06/2024
Hello Michael

I am excited to introduce myself as the interim CEO of the Victorian Pride Centre while Justine is away on some well-deserved leave. My name is Angharad, and it is a privilege to step into this role during such a pivotal time for our LGBTIQ+ communities. I will be serving in this capacity until the end of July.

Pride Month has been jam-packed with incredible events, vibrant performances, and inspiring moments. The team at VPC are grateful for the enthusiasm and support from everyone who participated and contributed. Thank you for making this Pride Month truly special. There are still a few events lined up for this coming weekend! You can purchase tickets and view them below.

We are thrilled to announce that The Bill providing Victorian Pride Centre Ltd’s deductible gift recipient (DGR) status, Treasury Laws Amendment (Support for Small Business and Charities and Other Measures) Bill 2023, has passed both houses of parliament! This means you can now make tax-deductible donations to support our vital work. And as promised, it also means that any donations made while The Bill was being passed will also be back-dated and honoured as a tax-deduction.

If you haven’t already, we invite you to consider making a tax-deductible donation, become a Patron, or join the 500 Club before the end of the month.

It's cold out there! So, we're adjusting our weekday hours to keep everyone cozy and safe during these chilly days and darker evenings. Starting July 1, the Victorian Pride Centre will be open from 9am to 5pm until August 31. Stay warm and see you soon!

Yours with pride,

Angharad Wynne-Jones (she/her)
Interim CEO
VICTORIAN PRIDE CENTRE

STAR OBSERVER 45TH ANNIVERSARY SUNDAY SIZZLE

Sunday, 7 July | 12pm - 5pm | VPC Theatrette

From the early days of Mardi Gras, through the AIDS crisis, to the battle for marriage equality, Star Observer has been here since 1979. They have long dedicated themselves to the Australian LGBTQI+ community, providing independent journalism about the issues we face, and celebrating our  accomplishments.

Now, Star Observer is celebrating its 45th anniversary. We're inviting our community to come celebrate the legacy of Australia’s oldest LGBTQI+ media organisation with us on Sunday, July 7!

PRIDE IN EMPLOYMENT JOBS EXPO

A huge thank you to everyone who joined us at our first ever PRIDE in Employment Jobs Expo at the Victorian Pride Centre! We were thrilled to welcome over 200 attendees who came to connect with inclusive employers from a diverse range of sectors.

We are grateful to all the attendees, stall holders, partners and resident organisations who made this event a success! Together, we are creating inclusive employment opportunities for LGBTIQ+ communities.

Images by Tom Noble

VPC'S NEWEST AMBASSADOR

We are delighted to welcome Jay Te Manu III as our newest ambassador at the Victorian Pride Centre!

Born in New Zealand in 1997, Jay migrated to Sydney in 2012 and later moved to Melbourne, where he has been actively involved with various LGBTIQ+ organisations and community groups. Since 2014, Jay has been a proud stroke survivor, demonstrating remarkable resilience and dedication to volunteer work.

Throughout his journey, Jay has been deeply committed to advocating for the LGBTIQ+ community, leveraging his experiences and insights to foster inclusivity and support.

As a VPC Ambassador, Jay is excited and honoured to support and promote the Victorian Pride Centre, contributing to its mission of creating a safe and vibrant space for the community.

CELEBRATING SCOTT HARTLEY

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to Scott Hartley for his incredible dedication and hard work as Treasurer on the Board of the Victorian Pride Centre.

Since its inception, Scott has been a cornerstone of the centre, tirelessly contributing to our growth and success. Thank you, Scott, for your unwavering commitment and invaluable service!

BOOK LAUNCH

Geraldine Fela in conversation with Dr Dion Kagan at Hares & Hyenas on Wednesday, 10 July from 6.30pm to celebrate the release of her new book, Critical Care: Nurses on the frontline of Australia’s AIDS crisis.

Bringing together stories from across the country, historian Geraldine Fela documents the extraordinary care, compassion and solidarity shown by HIV and AIDS nurses.

Please email cont...@hares-hyenas.com.au with your name and number of attendees to secure your spot.

LAST WEEKEND OF PRIDE MONTH AT VPC

PIPES: The Singing Drag Show - Catch the show tonight and Friday, June 26 & 27. Both nights are packed with heart, campery, and chaos!

Friday Social - Enjoy an afternoon drink and connect with the community this Friday, June 27 from 4pm - 6pm.

Wicked Words - Come along on Saturday, June 29 to hear tall tales and true stories celebrating our wicked past and present, curated by Lisa Salmon.

Trans & Gender Diverse Clothes Swap - Don't miss the free clothing swap by Ballarat Trans and Gender Diverse Clothes Swap Shop this Sunday, June 30 from 10am - 4pm.

Gin and Cheese Masterclass - Join us for a Cheese and Gin masterclass with Splatters Cheese Bar and Anther Distillery owners on Sunday, June 30.

THANK YOU

A HUGE thank you to everyone who has joined the 500 Club! We are incredibly grateful for your support and commitment to our mission. Your contribution is helping us create a vibrant, inclusive future at the Pride Centre.

There's still time to join and make a difference! Help us reach our ambitious goals for FY 2024-2025, including:

- 500 Paid Opportunities for queer artists
- 35% of events at the Centre will be free
- Enhanced Security for our communities
- Expanded Programming with more visual arts and Pride Gallery exhibits

Become a 500 Club Member

VPC WELCOMES NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP AS THEIR NEW OFFICIAL PARTNER

The Victorian Pride Centre is thrilled to announce an official partnership with NYX Professional Makeup, a brand renowned for its dedication to self-expression and inclusivity. This collaboration marks a significant step in further celebrating our LGBTIQ+ communities.

As part of this exciting partnership, NYX Professional Makeup will work closely with the Victorian Pride Centre to celebrate combined initiatives that champion the values of diversity, equality, and self-expression.

The partnership has kicked-off with a series of events and initiatives, including makeup activations and pride celebrations!

Image by Tom Noble

CONTAINER DEPOSIT SCHEME

We're now using Container Deposit Scheme bins to recycle cans and bottles! As a registered organisation, VPC will receive 10c back for each bottle or can recycled. These bins are labeled and placed throughout the centre to promote environmental sustainability within our communities.
FAMILY FOUNDATIONS PROGRAM

Murdoch Children's Research institute are looking for LGBTIQA+ families who are expecting or have recently welcomed a baby (0-12 months) to take part in a study to improve acceptability of the Family Foundations Program.

Family Foundations is a 10-week evidence based program to strengthen co-parenting and promote parent mental health in early parenthood. Please email rainbowfamil...@mmcri.edu.au for more details.

Proud Supporters

FOUNDING PARTNERS

MAJOR PARTNER

OFFICIAL PARTNERS

Get in Touch

To share your views, news and thoughts on all things Victorian Pride Centre, email us at con...@pridecentre.org.au or visit the website pridecentre.org.au
The Victorian Pride Centre respectfully acknowledges the Yaluk-ut Weelam Clan of the Boon Wurrung peoples. We pay our respects to their Elders, both past and present.
We uphold their continuing relationship to this land, the land on which the Victorian Pride Centre exists today.
Copyright © 2024 Victorian Pride Centre, All rights reserved.

Forward to a Friend

Visit Us at:
79-81 Fitzroy Street
St Kilda, VIC 3182