Midsumma Enews | Wed 26 June 2024

Michael Barnett OAM

Jun 26, 2024, 8:43:37 AMJun 26
to Queer Melbourne News, AusQueer

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Midsumma Festival <en...@midsumma.org.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 at 09:01
Subject: Midsumma Enews | Wed 26 June 2024
To: Michael Barnett <mikey...@gmail.com>

Midsumma Enews | Wed 26 June 2024 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

No images? Click here

Wednesday 26 June 2024

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Now is the perfect time to register your venue for free and start planning your events for Midsumma Festival 2025! Don’t miss out on the Early Bird Event Registration, which offers a fantastic 20% discount until this Friday, June 28.

Midsumma is seeking up to two Board Observers for FY 2024-2025. As an observer, you'll participate in about ten board meetings annually, join committees, engage in strategic planning sessions, and support our governance.

Time is running out! There are only two days left to submit your design for Midsumma Festival's 2025 Cover Art Commission. All creatives are welcome to share their vision for the festival program cover. The winner will receive a $3000 commission, and finalists will each receive $500.

Expressions of Interest are now open for the 2025 Victoria’s Pride Regional Activation Program. Join our next information session on Friday 12 July, to learn about FAQs, program direction, and access and inclusion.

Stay tuned and get involved in the vibrant community of Midsumma Festival 2025!

With love,
Midsumma

Header image: Kaye Hole, Midsumma Festival 2024 © Suzanne Balding

Venue & Event Registrations Updates:
Get Ready for Midsumma Festival 2025!

Register your venue for free and start planning your events.

How to Book Events
Be proactive in booking artists and events. Promote your venue through social media, newsletters, and posters. Create an Expression of Interest form to streamline producer applications. Midsumma can help promote this through its channels!

Venue Finder
Our Venue Finder page is updated to help producers find the perfect event space. Ensure your venue information is complete in Eventotron, including a short description, capacity, access information, and a contact or EOI form.

Next Steps

  • Sign up for Eventotron and register your venue.
  • Ensure your venue is added to Midsumma Festival 2025 on Eventotron.
  • Accept or reject event applications as needed.

Key Resources

Early Bird Registration ends soon: 20% Off until 28 June.

Finding a Venue
To find a venue for your event, sign up on Eventotron and browse registered venues at Step 10: Add a Venue. When selecting a venue, consider location, cost, accessibility, community engagement, support services, and audience suitability.

Early Bird Registration Ends Soon!
Event registrations are open until Sunday, 1 September 2024. However, to benefit from a 20% discount, complete your registration by this Friday, 28 June, 5 pm. This discount is available for up to 40 events.

Eventotron Tips

  • Your event is confirmed only after completing the registration form and paying the fee.
  • Mandatory questions are marked in red and must be completed.
  • Ensure your venue is registered on Eventotron.

Key Resources

Talk to Us!
For any registration or participation queries, contact Laura,
our Presenter Services Coordinator at
(03) 9296 6600 or email
eve...@midsumma.org.au

Images / Left: The Motley Bauhaus © Matto Lucas, Right: YUMMY: Joy Machine, Midsumma Festival 2024 © Nikki Russian

Midsumma is Seeking Expressions of Interest for Board Observers for FY 2024-2025

We ran our first observership program in 2023, and this year’s program builds on what we learned from that experience—and, importantly, feedback from our alumni observers.

We seek up to two observers to participate in the board's affairs, including attending approximately ten board meetings annually, having opportunities to join committees, participating in annual strategic planning sessions, and providing a voice supporting our governance. While we encourage active participation in Board activities, observers do not have voting rights.

Candidates should be interested and enthusiastic about advancing Midsumma, Australia’s leading LGBTQIA arts organisation. Previous experience on Boards is not required; the program exists to assist in building capacity for younger people, people from different life experiences or professional fields, to step into a Board or Governance role in the future.

Conversely, Observers enrich the conversations and considerations around our Board table. After the year-long program, observers do not graduate to being a Board Member; however, should Board positions become available, we encourage observers to apply as part of a merit-based process.

To express interest, please send a short cover letter explaining your rationale for joining the observer program, indicating how this program may assist you and Midsumma to hello...@midsumma.org.au by 19 July 2024.

Image: Midsumma Carnival, 2023 © Nikki Russian

Calling All Creatives:
Only Two Days Left to Submit Your Design

Two days left to submit your design for Midsumma Festival's 2025 Cover Art Commission and enter Midsumma Festival’s Hall of Fame.

Who Can Enter?
All creatives! Show us your vision for the 2025 festival program cover.

Why Enter?
$3000 commission for the winner and $500 for finalists.

How to Enter?
Read the brief and submit your design! Click here or the button below to find all the details and download the brief.

Deadline
Submissions close at 5 pm, this Friday, 28 June 2024. Just two days left! Don't miss this chance to be the face of the event. Unleash your creativity!

Image: Midsumma Festival Cover Arts, 1989 to 2024 © All Rights Reserved

The Regional Activation Program EOI has launched! Don't miss our next Info Session on July 12th

Midsumma Festival and the Victoria State Government have announced the opening of expressions of interest for the 2025 Victoria’s Pride Regional Activation Program (RAP).

Are you looking to bring your creative vision to life? Apply now for funding of up to $10,000 (ex GST) to support your project, running between 1 November 2024 and 9 February 2025. Larger amounts require pre-approval.

Applications close
11:59 pm, 6 August 2024 (AEST)

Information Session:
Friday 12 July 2024
10:30 am
(AEST), Auslan Interpreted

We’re hosting a new information session to cover FAQs, program direction, and access and inclusion. We’re thrilled to have Advocate Akii Ngo as our Access and Inclusion consultant, offering invaluable insights on integrating these elements into your project planning.

Register your interest for the next July 12th info session and receive a Zoom link by emailing Ashlee at:
ash...@midsumma.org.au

Image: RAP participants, 2023 © Teague Leigh

Exciting Upcoming Events!

6 July, 4-6 pm
Experimental Choreographic Showing
At Performance Space

Join Performance Space for a work-in-progress showing by their 2024 Experimental Choreographic Lab artists.

A culmination of this year’s Experimental Choreographic Program, the showing will feature five movement artists who have spent a week in the Drill Hall (Critical Path) exploring shared themes of grief, ritual, submerged histories, and modalities of the more-than-human: Lucy Doherty, Lian Loke, Rhiannon Newton, Lorcan Power, and Natalie Quan Yau Tso. During this intimate showing, they will share ideas, experiments, and sketches of their works.

Critical Path
1C New Beach Road, Darling Point
performancespace.org.au

Create NSW has supported the Experimental Choreographic Lab, mentored by choreographer Victoria Hunt.

Image: Lorcan Power © Joseph Mayers

17 – 27 July
Reclaim the Crone
by Gabrielle Leah New
At Explosives Factory

Experience the transformative power of Reclaim the Crone by Gabrielle Leah New.

This bold performance blends Butoh Dance Theatre, projection, poetry, and song to celebrate the Wise Old Woman archetype. Join the Crones on a mythic journey as they challenge patriarchal norms, invoke ancient Goddesses, and confront climate devastation. With a haunting original score by Norm Skipp and stunning choreography, this show promises a visually and sonically captivating experience. Don’t miss this eco-feminist celebration of strength and wisdom. Win your tickets now!

Explosives Factory
with Theatre Works

67 Inkerman Street, St Kilda
theatreworks.org.au

Win 2 double passes for the 7:30pm show on Wed 17 July! Email your name below before Mon 8 July.

Image: Reclaim the Crone © All rights reserved

Save The Dates & See You in 2025!

Midsumma Festival
From Sunday 19 January to Sunday 9 February

Midsumma Carnival
Sunday 19 January 2025

Midsumma Pride March
Sunday 2 February 2025

Victoria's Pride Street Party
Sunday 9 February 2025

Support Midsumma With Your EOFY Donation!

Help us celebrate LGBTQIA+ brilliance at our 37th Festival.
Your support keeps our events free and commissions groundbreaking works. With rising costs, your help is more vital than ever.

Thank you!

midsumma.org.au
#midsumma

FacebookTwitterYouTubeInstagramLinkedInWebsiteTikTokThreads

The logos of Midsumma Festival 2024 Sponsors. T-B, L-R. 1. National Australia Bank (NAB) 2. City of Melbourne 3. Creative Victoria | 4. City of Port Phillip 5. Woolworths Group 6. Amazon | 7. Seek 8. AGL 9. Dan Murphy's 10. RACV 11. No 1 Fertility 12. Rainbow WISE

Midsumma Festival logo in black

Hanover House, Level 2, 158 City Road
Southbank VIC 3006

Preferences  |  Unsubscribe