Seven has a new logo!

117 vues

road...@my-deja.com

non lue,
31 déc. 1999, 03:00:0031/12/1999
Yes folks! You heard it first here!

As of the start of the new millennium (in this instance, 00:00 on
01/01/2000), Channel Seven has a new logo. In ASCII art it looks something
like this, and is red with a thin black border:

_______
\_____/\
/ /
/ /
/_/

the shading becomes lighter to the top right corner to give an orange-ish
effect...... it looks so very retro, so late 1970's.....

As for the watermark we have all come to know and love (especially you, Mr.
Detlef Pelz! ;-) ), it appears to be roughly the same size (probably a
little larger if anything) but much much lighter and much less obtrusive. It
seems to contrast most on light backgrounds instead of dark, Buffy-ish
backgrounds.

And you heard it first here. :-) I just ran out and told my parents and their
friends, and was met with a mixture of disdain and indifference.

Regards,
Bradley Torr.
Using Deja out of necessity, not choice.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

wOoFa

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
> _______
> \_____/\
> / /
> / /
> /_/
>
> And you heard it first here. :-)

Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
They shouldnt have changed it.

--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Adam (aka wOoFa)

"Forget your stupid theme park! I'm gonna make my own! With hookers! And
blackjack! In fact, forget the park!" -- Bender
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

wOoFa

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
> Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
> They shouldnt have changed it.

I forgot to mention something else. I didn't see the logo in the advert
break, but when the adverts finished and the music show started again. how
they have the program rating and title. It appeared to me that the Seven
logo is the standard colour bar spinning around and then stopping to form
the number '7'. Then it stops at the colour ORANGE. of all colours.
Unfortunately, we can't see what crap they've dug up for their new promo
until 6am.

Mac Attack

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
wOoFa wrote:

> > _______
> > \_____/\
> > / /
> > / /
> > /_/
> >
> > And you heard it first here. :-)
>

> Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
> They shouldnt have changed it.

Yes they should've. Except change it to nothing instead

Detlef H. Pelz

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
<road...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:84idr5$d9g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Yes folks! You heard it first here!
>
> As of the start of the new millennium (in this instance, 00:00 on
> 01/01/2000), Channel Seven has a new logo. In ASCII art it looks something
> like this, and is red with a thin black border:
>
> _______
> \_____/\
> / /
> / /
> /_/
>
> the shading becomes lighter to the top right corner to give an orange-ish
> effect...... it looks so very retro, so late 1970's.....
>
> As for the watermark we have all come to know and love (especially you,
Mr.
> Detlef Pelz! ;-) ), it appears to be roughly the same size (probably a
> little larger if anything) but much much lighter and much less obtrusive.
It
> seems to contrast most on light backgrounds instead of dark, Buffy-ish
> backgrounds.

See my response to an earlier (alphabetically) post.

Cheers,

Detlef Pelz

Paul Mech

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
It's a pity that 7 dumped its traditional "7 in a circle logo", its been
around since the early 70's with a slight change for the intro of colour in
1975, and completely changing it but keeping the basic design in 1989. As
for the new logo, i don't mind it, but they should have kept its traditional
logo. Happy New Year Everyone!

Paul Mech

seano

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
I agree it does cheap and shit. I wonder who they ripped it off from
anyway?

seano

wOoFa wrote:

> > _______
> > \_____/\
> > / /
> > / /
> > /_/
> >

> > And you heard it first here. :-)
>
> Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
> They shouldnt have changed it.
>

> --

Mark Windridge

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
G'Day All,

Happy New Year & welcome to the 2 thousands.

Regarding the new Watermark, it is closer to the bottom right hand corner of
the screen & does appear to be less obtrusive.

If they won't get rid of it, at least I don't see it as much.

Mark :{)

Power Mad

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Mark Windridge wrote...

SSSHHH! Don't let Channel Seven hear you say that or they'll make it more
obtrusive ;-)

The new logo/watermark looks like those bloody ribbons that yank celebrities
seem to wear on every occasion.

Michael Costello

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
In article <386D502D...@asia.com>,

seano <se...@asia.com> wrote:
> I agree it does cheap and shit. I wonder who they ripped it off from
> anyway?
Go to http://members.xoom.com/michcos/regTV/qld/logos.html and find
out!!
--
Michael Costello,
Volunteer - Northern Access TV, Melbourne.

Paul Harrington

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000

Power Mad wrote in message ...

>The new logo/watermark looks like those bloody ribbons that yank
celebrities
>seem to wear on every occasion.

Well that makes perfect sense... those ribbons signify a charity/non-profit
organisation.

Paul H

Evan Davis

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Hi everyone

For those who haven't (or can't) see the new 7 ID, I have a few stereo Real
Video captures on my website.

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures/

Evan :->

--

Evan Davis
Palm Beach QLD

Vodafone Mobile Phone: +61 414 336937
Optus Mobile Phone: +61 403 070687
Home Phone: +61 7 55357190
email: edth...@ozemail.com.au
ICQ: 3598704
Website: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/ed
Australian TV Archives Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures
Ed The Sock Multimedia page:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures/ets.html
Under The Hammer Unofficial Site: http://members.xoom.com/edthesok/uth.html

Save a Tree - Eat a Beaver!

"Paul Harrington" <pha...@corplink.com.au> wrote in message

seano

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Is it colour like that one I haven't seen it propoerly yet only the bug.
They stole a 10 year old regional tv station logo how low can 7 go.

I assume they will have changed the news openers as well I wonder what they
will look like?

seano

Malcolm Taylor

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000

"Mark Windridge" <mar...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> G'Day All,
>
> Happy New Year & welcome to the 2 thousands.
>
> Regarding the new Watermark, it is closer to the bottom right hand corner
of
> the screen & does appear to be less obtrusive.

I don't think it's much (if any) closer to the corner of the screen than the
previous one (version 2 of the one in the circle). Certainly closer than the
original one though.

Andryw Prowse

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
I think this is a black day for Australia...We saw the new logo after midnight at
the new years' eve party and it became the topic of conversation for the next two
hours. I think that while I was sick of the old one, this new kitch piece of crap
reminds me of a reigional TV station in the 70s...It's just some dodgy fold that
looks like a breast cancer ribbon. Also, why the hell would they bother getting
rid of their stupid new programme pages and the like and replacing it with their
old orange-marble style ones that they had before? The worst part is when
programmes return and it does that dodgy rainbow stripe thing - do channel
seventies want to take us back three decades? The old rainbow didn't look bad but
this spectrum-like one looks shocking.
Andryw

Andryw Prowse

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Actually, I've changed my mind...I like the new logo now that I'm used to it. I still
think it looks and 70s/80s, but I like it because it takes me back to the good ol'
days (geez, I feel like an old fart saying that). I can see that logo and swear it's
at least 12 years in the past. Good to see they're with the times though.

Andryw

Michael Costello

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
7's is only one colour at a time, but uses one of 5 colours on rotation!

Michael Costello

In article <386DA29F...@asia.com>,

Michael Costello

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
I'm not surprised it reminds you of a Regional logo, because it looks
very close to the old RTQ one! See it on my page
http://members.xoom.com/michcos/regTV/qld/logos.html and you will see
what I mean!

Michael Costello

In article <386DC93A...@removethis.ihug.com.au>,

--

Amy Bridger

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
OnFri, 31 Dec 1999 14:28:29 GMT, road...@my-deja.com looked up to
the sky and was heard to utter:

>Yes folks! You heard it first here!
>
>As of the start of the new millennium (in this instance, 00:00 on
>01/01/2000), Channel Seven has a new logo. In ASCII art it looks something
>like this, and is red with a thin black border:
>

>_______
>\_____/\
> / /
> / /
> /_/
>

>the shading becomes lighter to the top right corner to give an orange-ish
>effect...... it looks so very retro, so late 1970's.....

*turns on tv immediatly*
It looks like a folded over ribbon to me. I wonder how much it cost to
come up with that idea...

>As for the watermark we have all come to know and love (especially you, Mr.
>Detlef Pelz! ;-) ), it appears to be roughly the same size (probably a
>little larger if anything) but much much lighter and much less obtrusive. It
>seems to contrast most on light backgrounds instead of dark, Buffy-ish
>backgrounds.

Yeah I can hardly see it.

--
Amy Bridger (a...@full-moon.com)
I am in Australia

MCT3K Experiment Results so far:
I have successfully trained my lab rat to like
magneta text on a lime green background. He now
sets it as the default color in all text editors.

The Brian that Wouldn't - Printed on MST3K tape .

coops

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
> Hi everyone
>
> For those who haven't (or can't) see the new 7 ID, I have a few stereo
Real
> Video captures on my website.
>
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures/

Interesting to see from that clip the few seconds after the ID - a promo for
AFL with the old logo in the bottom right corner.

For the record I hate the new logo and I agree with everyone who says that
it looks like something out of the 70s. I would have assumed from the
timing of the introduction - first day of the new century/millennium - that
they would have been intending on revamping the logo looking to the future,
but it's come out looking into the past. Very strange indeed. I guess this
is a sign that Seven intends on continuing with the same sort of crap that
we've grown accustomed to in recent years (I can see the logo changing some
time this year).

Harro

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Note to $even :

Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
getting decent programmes.

--

No TV and no beer make Harro something something.

Power Mad

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Harro wrote...

> Note to $even :
>
> Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
> getting decent programmes.

Never mind - footy season starts soon. Hours of quality viewing every week
up to September ;-)

Wollongong Quokka

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
Harro <har...@one.net.au> wrote in message news:386d...@pink.one.net.au...

> Note to $even :
>
> Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
> getting decent programmes.

That would be nice, but I think that they shouldn't attempt that before
they've actually learnt how to show a decent program properly. When they've
mastered that, perhaps they can move forward.

--
Robs the Sydney Wollongong Quokka
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~quokka/

Harro

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000

Power Mad <ne...@ten.com> wrote in message
> Harro wrote...

> > Note to $even :
> >
> > Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
> > getting decent programmes.
> >
> Never mind - footy season starts soon. Hours of quality viewing
every week
> up to September ;-)

It's like the Indian cricketers praying for a thunderstorm. Hehe.

Richard Muirden

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
seven.com.au still has the old logo tho....

-richard (yeah the new one sucks big fat rocks)
--
Richard Muirden, UNIX Systems Administrator and aviation nut!
Cybersource Pty. Ltd. - Systems Administration and Windows/UNIX Integration

Harro

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
> > Note to $even :
> >
> > Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
> > getting decent programmes.
>
> That would be nice, but I think that they shouldn't attempt that
before
> they've actually learnt how to show a decent program properly. When
they've
> mastered that, perhaps they can move forward.

LOL! Yes, perhaps I am hoping for too much too soon.
Maybe when we are closer to the Y3K bug.

Mac Attack

non lue,
1 janv. 2000, 03:00:0001/01/2000
wOoFa wrote:

> > _______
> > \_____/\
> > / /
> > / /
> > /_/
> >

> > And you heard it first here. :-)
>
> Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
> They shouldnt have changed it.

Yes they should've. Except change it to nothing instead

Eric Cartman

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000
I predict that the athletes at the "Sydney Y2K huge waste of money but will
have the benefit of bringing over lots of cute tourists" made for TV event
in September will feature the number 7 (in new logo design) in some form on
all competitors but not the numbers 28, 2, 9, 10. Maybe I'm pick athlete 7A
to beat athlete 7b in the Bruce Mac 100 metres final.

Which $even staff member let their kid design the logo?

Eric
www.erk.au.com

Evan Davis

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000
The AFL actually had the old Seven Sport watermark for roughly the 1st
quarter. It then changed to the new logo. I would assume someone realised
and didn't have access to the new sport watermark, so the new network
watermark was placed in the top right hand corner instead.

--

Evan Davis
Palm Beach QLD
Australia

Vodafone Mobile Phone: +61 414 336937
Optus Mobile Phone: +61 403 070687
Home Phone: +61 7 55357190
email: edth...@ozemail.com.au
ICQ: 3598704
Website: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/ed
Australian TV Archives Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures
Ed The Sock Multimedia page:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~edthesok/captures/ets.html
Under The Hammer Unofficial Site: http://members.xoom.com/edthesok/uth.html

Save a Tree - Eat a Beaver!

"coops" <co...@speednet.com.au> wrote in message

SpazB

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000
Remember how many logo's Ten sported in the late 80's. Let's guess how
many 7 will try before getting it right.

My guess: 76

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 22:59:15 +1100, "coops" <co...@speednet.com.au>
wrote:

Liz O'Connor

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000

"wOoFa" wrote in message

> > _______
> > \_____/\
> > / /
> > / /
> > /_/
> >
> > And you heard it first here. :-)
>
> Well then you can hear it from me first. I think it looks cheap and shit.
> They shouldnt have changed it.

I wouldn't have a problem with the new logo if they just made it smaller. I
already know what channel I'm watching. I don't need a great big orange
thing saying "look at me, look at me".

Liz

David Menuhin

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000

SpazB <sp...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> Remember how many logo's Ten sported in the late 80's. Let's guess how
> many 7 will try before getting it right.
>
> My guess: 76

Yeah, I always liked that original 3d X thing they had...of course the one
they settled on was just the ABC logo from the US. Come to think of it,
wasn't the late seven logo (double seven in a circle) just ripped off from
o/s as well? I can't remember where or when I saw it but I'm sure I saw some
footage once from another country whose 7 logo was exactly that...

Dave

--
Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.
-Confucious

Andrew Bayley

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000
http://members.xoom.com/TVaustralia/ten.htm

features most of the 0-10 and Ten Network logos....

David Menuhin <man...@touch88.com.au> wrote in message

Patrick

non lue,
2 janv. 2000, 03:00:0002/01/2000
Seven's old red 7 in a circle was flogged from a US network. I remember
seeing it on the sides of satellite uplink vans with some callisgn like WNBK
at things like the OJ Simpson trial or the death of JFK Jnr.

Patrick

Bradley Torr

non lue,
3 janv. 2000, 03:00:0003/01/2000

David Menuhin wrote in message <386ed...@news.highway1.com.au>...

>Yeah, I always liked that original 3d X thing they had...of course the one
>they settled on was just the ABC logo from the US. Come to think of it,
>wasn't the late seven logo (double seven in a circle) just ripped off from
>o/s as well? I can't remember where or when I saw it but I'm sure I saw
some
>footage once from another country whose 7 logo was exactly that...

WJLA-7 in Washington DC (ABC affiliate) has the exact same logo as our Seven
Network did throught the 1990's. I wish I had the URL that has every TV logo
in North America, but I can't recall it off-hand at the moment.

Network Ten's logo is like ABC America's logo in some respects - the blue
circle - but the 'ten' is a completely different font.

Regards,
Bradley.

SpazB

non lue,
3 janv. 2000, 03:00:0003/01/2000
Have you noticed that the animated new logo sort of reminds you of the
Kodak Advantix logo?

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:02:36 +1100, "JS" <jer...@sadler.net> wrote:

>>As of the start of the new millennium (in this instance, 00:00 on
>>01/01/2000), Channel Seven has a new logo. In ASCII art it looks something
>

>Opinion:
>
>1. It looks cheap.
>
>2. Coloured as it is (a shade of red), it looks like a representation of the
>AIDS ribbon. I'm sure the owners of that ribbon trademark would be happy.
>
>3. It looks like something from the 70s that should have stayed there.
>
>Bad, bad, bad move by 7. I think the circle with the 7 in it is definitely
>better, but then, they probably figured the logo hadn't been mentioned as
>often in aus.tv recently so they had to generate some posts. :)
>
>JS
>Frontier: Australian Science Fiction Media Magazine
>http://frontieronline.virtualave.net

Jason Groves & Simon Slade

non lue,
3 janv. 2000, 03:00:0003/01/2000
SpazB wrote:

> Remember how many logo's Ten sported in the late 80's. Let's guess how
> many 7 will try before getting it right.
>
> My guess: 76

<snip>

And I had almost blocked all memory of "New generic channel X"

peeby

non lue,
6 janv. 2000, 03:00:0006/01/2000
Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> wrote:

> Harro wrote:
>
> > Note to $even :
> >
> > Stop wasting resources on getting new logo's and concentrate on
> > getting decent programmes.
>

> Considering they wrote off $112M worth of programming last financial
> year, I'd say it's extremely likely they do have good programming
> there...

What do you mean wrote off? Is that what they spent acquiring
programmes, or the value of the programmes they have on the shelf which
will never screen?

--
peeby

peeby

non lue,
6 janv. 2000, 03:00:0006/01/2000
Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> wrote:

> p...@pop.netspace.net.au (peeby) writes:
>
> >What do you mean wrote off? Is that what they spent acquiring
> >programmes, or the value of the programmes they have on the shelf which
> >will never screen?
>

> My knowledge of this is as a 7 Network Limited shareholder. Quoted figures
> are ex the Executive Chairman's report in the Annual Report:
>
> "Our program library has increased significantly over the last four years,
> from $100M up to $250M. We took the decision to write off more than $120M
> of product not like to achieve a recovery of it's cost..."

Thanks, that clarifies it. They are fond of paying for stuff then not
airing it...

--
peeby

Clive Newall

non lue,
6 janv. 2000, 03:00:0006/01/2000
p...@pop.netspace.net.au (peeby) writes:

More likely is an inventory of home-grown stuff that isn't worth
repeating but that did not cover costs in the first run.
Probably also includes stuff like repeat rights for "Frontline"...

--
Clive Newall <c...@itga.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"

Harro

non lue,
6 janv. 2000, 03:00:0006/01/2000

Clive Newall <c...@itga.com.au> wrote in message

> p...@pop.netspace.net.au (peeby) writes:
>
> > Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> wrote:

> > > My knowledge of this is as a 7 Network Limited shareholder.
Quoted figures
> > > are ex the Executive Chairman's report in the Annual Report:
> > >
> > > "Our program library has increased significantly over the last
four years,
> > > from $100M up to $250M. We took the decision to write off more
than $120M
> > > of product not like to achieve a recovery of it's cost..."
> >
> > Thanks, that clarifies it. They are fond of paying for stuff then
not
> > airing it...
>
> More likely is an inventory of home-grown stuff that isn't worth
> repeating but that did not cover costs in the first run.
> Probably also includes stuff like repeat rights for "Frontline"...

Whatever it is, that's a lot of money down the toilet.

I think I need to pee.

peeby

non lue,
7 janv. 2000, 03:00:0007/01/2000
Harro <ne...@wanet.com.au> wrote:

> Clive Newall <c...@itga.com.au> wrote in message
>

> > More likely is an inventory of home-grown stuff that isn't worth
> > repeating but that did not cover costs in the first run.
> > Probably also includes stuff like repeat rights for "Frontline"...

I imagine it's also a haven for creative accounting. Are these
production investments (and losses) accounted for by their "cost" or
their "value"?

> Whatever it is, that's a lot of money down the toilet.

The proverbial shitload...!

--
peeby

peeby

non lue,
7 janv. 2000, 03:00:0007/01/2000
Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> wrote:

> p...@pop.netspace.net.au (peeby) writes:
>
> >I imagine it's also a haven for creative accounting. Are these
> >production investments (and losses) accounted for by their "cost" or
> >their "value"?
>

> The report does ramble on a bit more on the topic of programming, but I
> just can't be bothered to OCR it.

Fair 'nuff...!

--
peeby