Annoying daily reminder.

Peter Jason

Jun 19, 2022, 5:22:38 PM6/19/22
I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.

I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.

It all works just fine.

The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
live there.

I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.

Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably? Who should I
contact?

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 19, 2022, 7:10:29 PM6/19/22
You don't want to just update the channel list then, presumably
what most systems call scanning for new channels?

If you don't want to do that (granted on my set top boxes it
usually messes things up so I don't do it much either, they don't
nag me though) and there's no option in the settings to disable it
looking for new channels in the background, then I guess you're
stuck with the nags.

> Who should I contact?

No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
instead of its own tuner?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Peter Jason

Jun 19, 2022, 7:16:19 PM6/19/22
On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

>Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote:
>> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>>
>> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>>
>> It all works just fine.
>>
>> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
>> live there.
>>
>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>
>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably?
>
>You don't want to just update the channel list then, presumably
>what most systems call scanning for new channels?

I do this occasionally, but the message appears every night.

>If you don't want to do that (granted on my set top boxes it
>usually messes things up so I don't do it much either, they don't
>nag me though) and there's no option in the settings to disable it
>looking for new channels in the background, then I guess you're
>stuck with the nags.
>
>> Who should I contact?
>
>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>instead of its own tuner?

I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 19, 2022, 8:33:12 PM6/19/22
Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
> Kev) wrote:
>>Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote:
>>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably?
>>[snip]
>>> Who should I contact?
>>
>>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>>instead of its own tuner?
>
> I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).

Is the TV connected to the aerial then, or just via the PVR?

Peter Jason

Jun 19, 2022, 9:03:09 PM6/19/22
On 20 Jun 2022 10:32:56 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev
<n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote:
>> On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
>> Kev) wrote:

>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>>>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>>>instead of its own tuner?
>>
>> I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).
>
>Is the TV connected to the aerial then, or just via the PVR?

The aerial is connected to the TV via the PVR. I record almost
everything.

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 19, 2022, 11:12:13 PM6/19/22
Sometimes the aerial pass-through on devices like PVRs only works
when the device is turned on. Perhaps your TV loses signal when
the PVR is turned off and that's when it thinks the list of
available channels has changed (to none)? You could try using a
separate splitter or booster to feed the PVR and TV from the aerial
independently.

You'd probably notice not having signal if you tune in via the TV
directly when the PVR is off. If you only ever tune into channels
using the PVR, perhaps you could simply disconnect the TV's aerial
connection and then it will never see any channels at all.

Sylvia Else

Jun 19, 2022, 11:57:29 PM6/19/22
It's presumably noticed that the channels it currently lists is not the
same as the list of channels available. If you do as it says, that will
no doubt shut it up.

Sylvia.

Peter Jason

Jun 20, 2022, 5:12:10 PM6/20/22
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:26 +1000, Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid>
wrote:
I've surrender to its requests many times, but its obdurate. Perhaps
it's noticing one of the favorites lists and uses one of those. I
may have to redo these.

Sylvia Else

Jun 20, 2022, 10:42:02 PM6/20/22
What's the model number?

Sylvia.

Peter Jason

Jun 20, 2022, 11:23:09 PM6/20/22
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41:59 +1000, Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid>
The PVR is..
PANASONIC DMR-PWT540GL

The TV is..
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40XBR

They're both a bit ancient.

Sylvia Else

Jun 20, 2022, 11:31:56 PM6/20/22
I thought the manual might be enlightening, but it's not.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3217/32172841M.pdf

Make sure you do a full scan rather than a quick scan.

Failing that, you could try an "All Reset" on page 38 (which will clear
your favourites, amongst other things).

Sylvia.