Becoming ordained online in Australia?

Matthew.c.2005

Apr 2, 2005, 6:46:09 PM4/2/05
Some just told me you can become ordained over the internet and it's
legit..

is this legal in Australia?!?

David Hardie

Apr 2, 2005, 7:17:32 PM4/2/05
In article <lkbu41pkj2j8ceqhr...@4ax.com>, Matthew.c.2005
<mu...@night.com> wrote:

Anyone can start a church and ordain themselves as far as I know.

To get a B. Theol. you would have to go through the hoops at a university.

I'm not sure how you could get the tax free status of a church.

It is possible to get online theology degrees (right up to Doctor of
Theology) online from various places.

To become a marriage celebrant you have to register, but I think that
there is some vetting process. (Similar to becoming a J.P.?)

You can call yourself Reverend if you wish as long as you are not using it
for the purposes of fraud.

This is an interesting area, as when people wrote 'Jedi' on their cencus
forms and more wrote this than wrtoe 'Salvation Army' there was nothing
that the government could do about what was an abvious piece of
mischief-making. (At least it was on my part). But, there is nothing
stopping you (that I can see) from you declaring yourself a 'Jedi master'
or head of the 'Jedi Church' in AUstralia.

I'd love to see someone try :->

D.

Soixante Un Vieille Viande De Jour

Apr 2, 2005, 7:18:17 PM4/2/05

You can pay to be ordained as a ministor at the Hutt River Provence
north of Fremantle.

David Springthorpe

Apr 2, 2005, 7:26:05 PM4/2/05
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:18:17 +1000, Soixante Un Vieille Viande De Jour
<suv...@yahoo.fr> offered the following revelation:

>You can pay to be ordained as a ministor at the Hutt River Provence
>north of Fremantle.

Is a "ministor" a very small supermarket, or is it that you just can't
spell.....?

DS

Soixante Un Vieille Viande De Jour

Apr 2, 2005, 7:29:10 PM4/2/05

Everyone, including you, knew what I meant, you idiot.

pharro

Apr 2, 2005, 9:59:50 PM4/2/05

"David Hardie" <dav...@nospam.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

The government couldn't stop you but I bet George Lucas could.

pharro

Highlandish

Apr 2, 2005, 8:17:20 PM4/2/05
Quoth The Raven "Matthew.c.2005"<mu...@night.com> in
lkbu41pkj2j8ceqhr...@4ax.com

> Some just told me you can become ordained over the internet and it's
> legit..
>
> is this legal in Australia?!?

POPE Matthew Goodyear?

--
Disclaimer: The above message was formed by randomly joining various
sentences, phrases and clichés in an attempt to make the sender appear

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Matthew.c.2005

Apr 3, 2005, 6:37:33 AM4/3/05
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:17:20 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay...@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Matthew.c.2005"<mu...@night.com> in
>lkbu41pkj2j8ceqhr...@4ax.com
>> Some just told me you can become ordained over the internet and it's
>> legit..
>>
>> is this legal in Australia?!?
>
>POPE Matthew Goodyear?

Fucking Men!

David Hardie

Apr 3, 2005, 7:35:52 AM4/3/05
In article <424fb...@x-privat.org>, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay...@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Matthew.c.2005"<mu...@night.com> in
>lkbu41pkj2j8ceqhr...@4ax.com
>> Some just told me you can become ordained over the internet and it's
>> legit..
>>
>> is this legal in Australia?!?
>
>POPE Matthew Goodyear?

You can change your name to whatever you want.

How does 'exalted grand Highlandish' sound?

D.

Highlandish

Apr 3, 2005, 7:42:14 AM4/3/05
Quoth The Raven "David Hardie"<dav...@nospam.optusnet.com.au> in
davidlh-0304...@d220-236-250-36.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au

Highlandish as a name is already the most exulted of positions to attain. no
need to add extra titles.

--
A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture. You don't have to go.
You'll just be walking down the street, and... ooooohhhhhh, that's much

Kath

Apr 3, 2005, 11:51:37 PM4/3/05
David Hardie wrote:

> To become a marriage celebrant you have to register, but I think that
> there is some vetting process. (Similar to becoming a J.P.?)

You have to have done some study, and only a certain number of new
registrants are allowed each year.

http://www.celebrantsonline.com.au/ for more info.

--
Katharine
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot

The Meerkat

Apr 4, 2005, 2:51:45 AM4/4/05
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:46:09 +1000, Matthew.c.2005 <mu...@night.com>
subjected The Meerkat's delicate sensibilities to the following:

>Some just told me you can become ordained over the internet and it's
>legit..
>
>is this legal in Australia?!?

Probably not. But I could become the first female ordained meerkat in
Australia. What a concept! What a buzz!

The Meerkat.
I dig therefore I am.

Magrajack

May 18, 2008, 8:59:56 AM5/18/08

You can buy almost anything over the internet but is it genuine?
Genuine ordination is confered on people by the church, and the
ordinand has to earn it. By earn it, I don't mean work their head off;
I mean, be chosen by God and His people. you don't pay money for
genuine ordination.
The ordination that you pay for or send for on line often comes from
wierd cults or by certain American church groups. A minister ordained
in USA cannot walk into Australia and start a church. Our government
has many safety checks and balances to ensure that churches are
genuine.
If a person, ordained or not, just starts a, "church", and takes up a
collection or accepts money, they are committing a crime. Churches
have to be registered, pay expensive insurances, and be affiliated or
incorporated like companies before they can operate legally in
Australia.
I hope this answers your question.

--
Magrajack

Professor Eustance McGargle

May 18, 2008, 9:13:36 AM5/18/08
On Sun, 18 May 2008 22:59:56 +1000, Magrajack
<Magrajac...@no-mx.phorums.com.au> wrote:

>......Churches

>have to be registered, pay expensive insurances, and be affiliated or
>incorporated like companies before they can operate legally in
>Australia.

But the bastards pay no income tax.

shive...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2020, 5:04:49 PM7/5/20
yes. You can legally get ordained through the universal life church in america and legally register it with the attorney general in canberra. Go to claccaulc.godaddysites.com

Sylvia Else

Jul 5, 2020, 7:44:23 PM7/5/20
Do you have to be a pedophile to do this, or is it open to all criminals?

Sylvia.

shive...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 10:12:21 AM7/20/20
Silvia.
No it is not open to criminals and no pedophiles are not welcome and bigots and transphobes are also not welcome because we are adult survivors of institutionalized abuse and LGBTIQSGDA+ ordained ministers. You have to have to be legally clear and have an NSW working with children check and agree to solemnize marriage equality and complete ministry training requirements to legally register as an ordained minister with the universal life church.

Maddi Archbold

Aug 17, 2022, 7:02:17 AM8/17/22
How do you register with the attorney general in Canberra? whats the process?