Failure of ABC Comedy

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 3, 2020, 11:10:09 PM7/3/20
Among all of the cuts that the ABC have announced, there's one that
doesn't really look like a cut at all:
"The ABC Comedy television channel will be rebranded to cater for a
broader array of programs and content."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-24/abc-announces-cuts-to-programming-and-jobs-funding/12384972

It looks like they've finally realised that the second station was
far better off with the content they showed as ABC2, rather than
ABC Comedy which is largely full of old repeats that they used to
show on ABC2 before anyway. The little new stuff that they get isn't
worth watching in my opinion anyway. I used to watch quite a bit of
ABC2 before.

I've also noticed that SBS VICELAND don't seem to have much actual
content from VICE Media anymore. It seems that their rebrand didn't
work out either, though at least it didn't chase away all of the
documentaries like ABC Comedy did.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

bru...@topmail.co.nz

Jul 7, 2020, 6:25:39 AM7/7/20
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:10:09 AM UTC+8, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> I've also noticed that SBS VICELAND don't seem to have much actual
> content from VICE Media anymore. It seems that their rebrand didn't
> work out either, though at least it didn't chase away all of the
> documentaries like ABC Comedy did.

Seem's the few Vice Media shows have been pushed back.
They still have F*ck thats delicious, but now at 1130 PM.
Dopesick Nation at 1:25 AM and Slutever at 2:15 AM.
But all after midnight, they are showing RT News at 2:40AM. That used to be on Channel 44. Putin must be paying SBS to show it.

Jeßus

Jul 7, 2020, 7:17:37 PM7/7/20
'ABC' and 'comedy' is an oxymoron anyway, especially in this day and
age.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 7, 2020, 8:03:21 PM7/7/20
**WTF? You live in a cave?

Have you watched Operation Buffalo? Hysterical.
Would I Lie To You? Repeats, but still funnier than anything on
commercial TV.
The Weekly. Lost some of it's impact, with no live audience, but excellent.
At Home Alone Together. Certainly has it's moments of brilliance. Gotta
love Ray Martin. Funny stuff.
Fleabag. Outstanding.
Hard Quiz. Excellent.
QI. Even the repeats are worth it.
Sammy J. The best 5 minutes of TV made.
Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. Wonderful TV. I particularly enjoy the
Madashelicopter scenes.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Max

Jul 8, 2020, 7:41:30 PM7/8/20
I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 8, 2020, 11:10:03 PM7/8/20
**Find me something that is funnier on commercial TV. Clearly, you
haven't watched any of the above programmes.

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 9, 2020, 7:38:24 PM7/9/20
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 9/07/2020 9:41 am, Max wrote:

>>> **WTF? You live in a cave?
>>>
>>> Have you watched Operation Buffalo? Hysterical.
>>> Would I Lie To You? Repeats, but still funnier than anything on
>>> commercial TV.
>>> The Weekly. Lost some of it's impact, with no live audience, but
>>> excellent.
>>> At Home Alone Together. Certainly has it's moments of brilliance.
>>> Gotta love Ray Martin. Funny stuff.
>>> Fleabag. Outstanding.
>>> Hard Quiz. Excellent.
>>> QI. Even the repeats are worth it.
>>> Sammy J. The best 5 minutes of TV made.
>>> Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. Wonderful TV. I particularly enjoy the
>>> Madashelicopter scenes.
>>
>> I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic.
>
> **Find me something that is funnier on commercial TV. Clearly, you
> haven't watched any of the above programmes.

I find most of them pretty bloody weak personally, though I don't
watch commercial TV at all except for SBS - too many ads for
starters. The best thing that ABC Comedy has had on lately are
old repeats of The Games, though on late and at a strange time so I
keep missing them. As a modern version of that Utopia is alright, but
The Games was better.

The biggest joke in Operation Buffalo was the quality of its acting.

I find much funnier stuff in my own VHS/DVD collection. Recently
watched through all of Fawlty Towers, for example.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 9, 2020, 8:53:57 PM7/9/20
**Faulty Towers was outstanding. A once in a generation comedy. As was
Seinfeld. In fact, since Seinfeld, nothing has come close. Oh, maybe 30
Rock was close. I still chuckle at the MILF Island segments. Yeah, maybe
30 Rock was the equal of Seinfeld. Brilliant ensemble. Brilliant writing.

Max

Jul 9, 2020, 9:47:04 PM7/9/20
You really seem to like everything. You are a TV producer's dream.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 9, 2020, 10:21:29 PM7/9/20
**You think? I'll scan the TV guide and tell you a few things I won't watch:

BHG
Any sports
Millionaire hot seat
ACA
Commercial news
Masterchef
The Voice
Big Brother
Home and Away
Etc

Max

Jul 10, 2020, 1:19:36 AM7/10/20
The idea of commercial TV is not to please everyone all the time. For
example, on commercial TV this year I have watched MAFS and Big Brother
I have not watched any other shows, and I may not watch even these next
year.

You are not meant to watch all the shows on commercial channels. Just
like going into a shop - no one is expecting you to buy every item.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 10, 2020, 1:56:06 AM7/10/20
**Same as the ABC. FWIW: I do watch some commercial TV. I particularly
enjoy Supernatural, but I suspect TEN has dumped it.

Jeßus

Jul 10, 2020, 10:25:18 PM7/10/20
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 10:03:18 +1000, Trevor Wilson
<tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>On 8/07/2020 9:17 am, Je?us wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 03:10:03 +0000 (UTC), n...@telling.you.invalid
>> (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:
>>
>>> Among all of the cuts that the ABC have announced, there's one that
>>> doesn't really look like a cut at all:
>>> "The ABC Comedy television channel will be rebranded to cater for a
>>> broader array of programs and content."
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-24/abc-announces-cuts-to-programming-and-jobs-funding/12384972
>>>
>>> It looks like they've finally realised that the second station was
>>> far better off with the content they showed as ABC2, rather than
>>> ABC Comedy which is largely full of old repeats that they used to
>>> show on ABC2 before anyway. The little new stuff that they get isn't
>>> worth watching in my opinion anyway. I used to watch quite a bit of
>>> ABC2 before.
>>>
>>> I've also noticed that SBS VICELAND don't seem to have much actual
>>> content from VICE Media anymore. It seems that their rebrand didn't
>>> work out either, though at least it didn't chase away all of the
>>> documentaries like ABC Comedy did.
>>
>> 'ABC' and 'comedy' is an oxymoron anyway, especially in this day and
>> age.
>>

>**WTF? You live in a cave?

OK. Firstly, I realise the topic is about TV and I'm steering the
topic in a slightly different direction with the following...

My idea of 'comedy' does not include sitcoms, or other crap that
apparently comes un the 'comedy' umbrella these days. There's been a
few exceptions, such as The Young Ones, Blackadder and Fawlty
Towers... but of course, not Australian comedy. I'm not a TV watcher,
as such. I like legit comedians. By that, I mean stand up comedians. I
especially like satire and commentary on society. Done right, it's
both therapeutic and hilarious. Genuine stand up, or genuine comedians
cannot function on TV, and especially on the ABC. They're constrained
by so much these days.

Secondly, Australian comedy is generally speaking, just awful. We very
rarely produce quality comedians here.

>Have you watched Operation Buffalo? Hysterical.
>Would I Lie To You? Repeats, but still funnier than anything on
>commercial TV.
>The Weekly. Lost some of it's impact, with no live audience, but excellent.
>At Home Alone Together. Certainly has it's moments of brilliance. Gotta
>love Ray Martin. Funny stuff.
>Fleabag. Outstanding.
>Hard Quiz. Excellent.
>QI. Even the repeats are worth it.
>Sammy J. The best 5 minutes of TV made.
>Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. Wonderful TV. I particularly enjoy the
>Madashelicopter scenes.

I've seen Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. It's OK, but not enough to
compel me to watch it.

Why bother with TV, when the Internet is infinitely better anyway?

Trevor Wilson

Jul 11, 2020, 12:07:07 AM7/11/20
**Fair point, but yes, off the topic.

> Secondly, Australian comedy is generally speaking, just awful. We very
> rarely produce quality comedians here.

**I would counter that by saying that there are very few really funny
people anywhere. The US has 15 times our population. How many truly
funny people have they produced?

>> Have you watched Operation Buffalo? Hysterical.
>> Would I Lie To You? Repeats, but still funnier than anything on
>> commercial TV.
>> The Weekly. Lost some of it's impact, with no live audience, but excellent.
>> At Home Alone Together. Certainly has it's moments of brilliance. Gotta
>> love Ray Martin. Funny stuff.
>> Fleabag. Outstanding.
>> Hard Quiz. Excellent.
>> QI. Even the repeats are worth it.
>> Sammy J. The best 5 minutes of TV made.
>> Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. Wonderful TV. I particularly enjoy the
>> Madashelicopter scenes.
>
> I've seen Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell. It's OK, but not enough to
> compel me to watch it.

**Oh c'mon. Surely you've seen Lois Price? Her segments are quite
delightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JBiqukBDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO6dMSmvHfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y50erFONyr4

> Why bother with TV, when the Internet is infinitely better anyway?

**Good point. I am downloading most of my viewing now too.

Max

Jul 11, 2020, 9:03:04 PM7/11/20
On 11/07/2020 12:25 pm, Je�us wrote:
What do you mean "the Internet"? Are you talking about Netflix, Stan
etc, or Youtube?

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 11, 2020, 10:21:28 PM7/11/20
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:
> On 11/07/2020 12:25 pm, Je?us wrote:
>>
>> Why bother with TV, when the Internet is infinitely better anyway?
>
> What do you mean "the Internet"? Are you talking about Netflix, Stan
> etc, or Youtube?

Given we're on Usenet, maybe he means aus/rec.humor.*, the Internet
Oracle, etc. Probably not though.

ABC is free (OK, OK it costs everyone, like the hundreds of other
government service, many of which I either don't use or spend my time
actively trying to avoid) and doesn't have ads. For the internet you
pay a fee to view new content illegally, or legally with ads, or pay
another fee to get new content without ads.

I prefer TV when there's decent content on. In some part due to
ABC2 becoming ABC Comedy, there's rarely decent content on, so I
have been watching more stuff from the internet as well as a lot
more movies and old TV shows on VHS/DVD.

Actually a lot of the internet content I watch is from the Internet
Archive, though not much good for new comedy of course. Youtube is
full of so much rubbish that I really don't know how it doesn't just
send people crazy, or maybe it does. At least always using youtube-dl
means I avoid Youtube's ads, but not those by the authors themselves.

In fact the best content on Youtube is old TV documentaries that are
uploaded illegally but don't have commercial value so generally
nobody gets them taken down. Again, not comedy though.

I won't pay double (actually a lot more than double because I get my
internet cheap) for Netflix and friends, but from what little I've
seen/heard their stuff isn't all that amazing compared to TV anyway.

Of course the net effect for me is less and less modern content and
more from around the 1930s through to the 1990s. I don't mind though.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 13, 2020, 4:36:35 PM7/13/20
On 11/07/2020 12:25 pm, Je�us wrote:

> Secondly, Australian comedy is generally speaking, just awful. We very
> rarely produce quality comedians here.

**I was a huge fan of Gary MacDonald (aka: Thin Arthur, Norman Gunston,
The Little Aussie Bleeder) during the 1970s. I attended several of his
live recordings of The Norman Gunston Show. Possibly the most brilliant
comedian ever to appear in Australia. Here he is at (IMO) his most
brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2kSkurQFs

I have always wondered if Ms Struthers pissed herself during the interview.