Most annoying voice on Australian TV

518 views
Skip to first unread message

sho...@hello.net.au

unread,
Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98
to

My vote goes to the cook on "Better Homes And Gardens" with a special mention
for Seven's sports reporter Jim "Wilson-nuh" Wilson whose consistent over-
pronunciation of the 'n' at the end of words (like his own name) is really
starting to shit me off.

Any other contenders?

Steve

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Spagnamoli [DL]

unread,
Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98
to

Man, that cook from better homes and gardens shits me as well, i watch it
though as it requires no brain work, but man i tune out when she comes on.
The second would have to go to the new chick that hosts the funniest home
video show. <<shudder>>>

spag


sho...@hello.net.au wrote in message <6hkic5$rt7$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Simon Holt

unread,
Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98
to

Spagnamoli [DL] <sp...@dl.com.au> wrote:
: Man, that cook from better homes and gardens shits me as well, i watch it

: though as it requires no brain work, but man i tune out when she comes on.
: The second would have to go to the new chick that hosts the funniest home
: video show. <<shudder>>>

That cook woman is SOOO bad. It grates on me EVERYTIME I hear her bloody
voice!!!!!!!

KickiTT

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

Another contender for the most annoying voice on Australian TV has got
to be the guy who announces every second Australian commercial
nowadays. He's an announcer on SBS as well, and used to do the amusing
voice intros on Helen Razer's show on JJJ (before she started getting
stalked). I think his name is Robbie or Robert someone.

Fish!

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

In article <353FD2CF...@yahoo.com>, kic...@yahoo.com says...
Robbie McGregor

Linley Crackel

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

Amen....the annoying cook woman on Better Homes and Gardens is Belinda
Jeffreys...don't know why I know this because I run a mile whenever she comes
on. I voted her most annying person on TV full stop in a recent thread :-)

It must be something about TV female cooks.....the new one on Our House or
Healthy, Wealthy & Wise (some rival infotainment show anyway) is also cringe
material. I think its the dangly earrings that get me with her.

Mind you, I find the TV cooking shows on the SBS and the ABC to be compulsory
viewing! Bring back Paul and Jeannie Rankin from the Irish cooking show (SBS)
and Cooking with Kurma is a treat (excuse the pun). The Two Fat Ladies are
getting a bit tired but I always marvel at how they can get away with using
buckets of lard in their recipes. And we can't forget Nancy Lam and her trusty
sidekick hubby Albert.

And can Reg Livermore really cook??

Lin in WA

Christopher Biggs

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

Linley Crackel <lcra...@transport.wa.gov.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Mind you, I find the TV cooking shows on the SBS and the ABC to be compulsory
> viewing! Bring back Paul and Jeannie Rankin from the Irish cooking
> show (SBS)
> and Cooking with Kurma is a treat (excuse the pun). The Two Fat
> Ladies are

I Agree, Gourmet Ireland is cool, but I can't *stand* Kurma.

Mireille Johnston (Cooks Tour Of France) is excellent too...

> getting a bit tired but I always marvel at how they can get away with using
> buckets of lard in their recipes. And we can't forget Nancy Lam and her trusty
> sidekick hubby Albert.

Ugh. Horrible program.

Now Consuming Passions, on the other hand...

--
Christopher Biggs -- ch...@stallion.oz.au - Ph+61-7-3270-4266 - PGP & MIME OK
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.
Uneqyl jbegu qrpbqvat, jnf vg? Rznvy zr "Fhowrpg: fraqctcxrl" sbe zl CTC xrl.


I.don't

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

In article <sapvi8g...@bogonium.stallion.oz.au>, Christopher Biggs <ch...@stallion.oz.au> wrote:
>Linley Crackel <lcra...@transport.wa.gov.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net
> and spake thusly:
>
>> Mind you, I find the TV cooking shows on the SBS and the ABC to be compulsory
>> viewing! Bring back Paul and Jeannie Rankin from the Irish cooking
>> show (SBS)
>> and Cooking with Kurma is a treat (excuse the pun). The Two Fat
>> Ladies are
>
>I Agree, Gourmet Ireland is cool, but I can't *stand* Kurma.
>
Have you ever noticed every time Kurma talks about something,like rice
lentils,pepper or whatever he always says "OUR" as in We cook OUR rice & then
add it to OUR bowl.....Both the wifr & I piss ourselves laughing during this
show because he's such a Lamo


Toad

peeby

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

In article <353FECF8...@transport.wa.gov.au>, Linley Crackel
<lcra...@transport.wa.gov.au> wrote:

> Simon Holt wrote:
> >
> > Spagnamoli [DL] <sp...@dl.com.au> wrote:
> > : Man, that cook from better homes and gardens shits me as well, i watch it
> > : though as it requires no brain work, but man i tune out when she comes on.
> > : The second would have to go to the new chick that hosts the funniest home
> > : video show. <<shudder>>>
> >
> > That cook woman is SOOO bad. It grates on me EVERYTIME I hear her bloody
> > voice!!!!!!!
>
> Amen....the annoying cook woman on Better Homes and Gardens is Belinda
> Jeffreys...don't know why I know this because I run a mile whenever she comes
> on. I voted her most annying person on TV full stop in a recent thread :-)
>
> It must be something about TV female cooks.....the new one on Our House or
> Healthy, Wealthy & Wise (some rival infotainment show anyway) is also cringe
> material. I think its the dangly earrings that get me with her.
>

> Mind you, I find the TV cooking shows on the SBS and the ABC to be compulsory
> viewing! Bring back Paul and Jeannie Rankin from the Irish cooking show (SBS)
> and Cooking with Kurma is a treat (excuse the pun). The Two Fat Ladies are

> getting a bit tired but I always marvel at how they can get away with using
> buckets of lard in their recipes. And we can't forget Nancy Lam and her trusty
> sidekick hubby Albert.
>

> And can Reg Livermore really cook??
>

Dunno, but you forgot the maestro Ian Parmigiana... and you're from WA...!

peeby

Aimee

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

Spagnamoli [DL] <sp...@dl.com.au> wrote in article
<6hm0v5$h7s$1...@eplet.mira.net.au>...

: Man, that cook from better homes and gardens shits me as well, i watch it
: though as it requires no brain work, but man i tune out when she comes
on.

I totally agree with you. She annoys the hell out of me. I don't know but
maybe it's the way she speaks. I always think that what I am hearing is
not her real speaking voice. It sounds so fake and she always has that
really weird look whenever she shows you something. In a way, she makes me
cringe and gives me the creeps at the same time.

Aimee

Frank Costanza

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

sho...@hello.net.au wrote in article <6hkic5$rt7$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> My vote goes to the cook on "Better Homes And Gardens"

I have to agree - I would rather masterbate with a cheese-grater than have
to listen to that voice! Have you seen the new Healthy, Wealthy and Wise
Chef - she is this 40yr old Italian, who wears earrings that appear to be
removed from the Chinese Circus -What a shocker :) So what is it with
these on screen chefs? Here is a list that just make me cringe:

The 2 Fat Ladies,
Floyd (stick with me Clive),
Yan (from Yan can Cook), and
Ian (undercooked and ad heaps of fat) Hewitson.


Give me the Soup Nazi, Poppy and Lunch Lady Doris anyday!

Art V.


zaphy

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

On 24 Apr 98 11:15:44 GMT, "Frank Costanza"
<canb.bi...@netspeed.com.au> regurgitated:

>sho...@hello.net.au wrote in article <6hkic5$rt7$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>> My vote goes to the cook on "Better Homes And Gardens"
>
>I have to agree - I would rather masterbate with a cheese-grater than have
>to listen to that voice!

Baldrick: "so would *I*, sir!"

Andrew Wong

unread,
Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98
to

For me, the most annoying voices are the bloke who does
the voiceovers for Channel 7 promos, and the one who
does the voice in Nissan ads. Both seem to be totally
in awe of their own voices.

--
Andrew Wong, Sydney, Australia
akw...@zeta.org.au or akw...@au1.ibm.com

psilocybe

unread,
Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98
to

Robbie McGregor, very annoying!

Leah Janine Townsend

unread,
Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98
to

Everyone I know hates that woman's voice. It has to be fake, her TV
voice. If it isn't I feel for her family and friends.

--

__

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Leah Townsend +
+ lea...@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au +
+ +
+ looking 4 titanic pics... +
+ esp. rose's white morning tea +
+ dress ... can u help? +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mixmaster

unread,
Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98
to

Ken Sparkes

Matty

unread,
Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98
to

On 28 Apr 1998 10:20:15 GMT, Leah Janine Townsend
<s976...@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote:

>Everyone I know hates that woman's voice. It has to be fake, her TV
>voice. If it isn't I feel for her family and friends.
>
>--

I think that one of the best tv voices is from ROGER CLIMPSON (??)
from Aust Most Wanted. He always sounds warm and genuine.

michael

unread,
Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98
to

sho...@hello.net.au wrote:
>
> My vote goes to the cook on "Better Homes And Gardens" with a special mention
> for Seven's sports reporter Jim "Wilson-nuh" Wilson whose consistent over-
> pronunciation of the 'n' at the end of words (like his own name) is really
> starting to shit me off.
>
> Any other contenders?
>
> Steve
>
[snip]

My 'throw the TV through the Window' voice is that damn actor who plays
the character of the father in 'Muriels Wedding'. He also played a
character in 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'.

I don't mind him as an actor, but when he's paid to do ad voiceovers,
his voice really shits me with its' 'cultivated' more aursteraliern than
australian, cut it with a fork accent. He just goes too far for me.

Mike
-----------------------------------
| comments from an autopsy |
| observer : So, did this man die |
| of heart failure? |
| attendant: Well, the baseball |
| bat helped a little.|(borrowed from sig of alt.tasteless
poster-worthy of many attributions)
-----------------------------------

Simon

unread,
May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98
to

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:38:01 +0800, Linley Crackel
<lcra...@transport.wa.gov.au> wrote:

I HAVE 3 WORDS.............................
YAN CAN COOK
Definetly the greatest cooking show ever to grace a TV screen


>Simon Holt wrote:
>>
>> Spagnamoli [DL] <sp...@dl.com.au> wrote:

>> : Man, that cook from better homes and gardens shits me as well, i watch it
>> : though as it requires no brain work, but man i tune out when she comes on.

Sisko Kid

unread,
May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98
to


> My 'throw the TV through the Window' voice is that damn actor who plays
> the character of the father in 'Muriels Wedding'. He also played a
> character in 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'.
>
> I don't mind him as an actor, but when he's paid to do ad voiceovers,
> his voice really shits me with its' 'cultivated' more aursteraliern than
> australian, cut it with a fork accent. He just goes too far for me.
>

You mean Bill Hunter. Point taken.

I loathe yet laugh at the voice of Moik Wittni
Also that of Jessica (I- am- really- an- alien- hybrid) Roy - Yeah I know it's
'Rowe' but that accent of hers HAS to goy (say it out loud 'n' you'll get it.)
I like Tiriel Mora - who is in Frontline and does heps of voice- overs.
I can't bear the sound of Darryl Somers when he 'sings' YEEESH!!!! {{shudder}}
I hate Sultana Bran's 'David' - well, doesn't everyone? Hey did you notice that
suddenly he's middle aged? How old are those ads???? His voice is annoying in the
extreme.
I think one of the most annoying voices I've heard belongs to a half German guy who
used to promote Kyolic garlic capsules and 'Green Magma' on morning TV - but some
of you may not remember him.
I love the ORIGINAL voice (now deceased actor John Meillon) of the VB ads - "you
can get it liftin', ya can geddit shiftin', ya can geddit pressin' a suit" (TRUE, I
swear!)
I loathe that voice that is on ALL the video trailers - "He's BACK. One MAAAN. ONE
WAAAY. He's back for MOOOORE..." blah blah....
My latest most loathed voice belongs to a heroin-chic thin girl on some slick ad
full of young 20somethings she just says 'naughty' and 'baaad' in such a way that
I want to reach thru the screen and garotte her through the larynx!

END - for now,
The Kid.
-


Robert Boase

unread,
May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98
to

----------


In article <354db969...@news.mpx.com.au>, s...@mpx.com.au (Simon) wrote:


>On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:38:01 +0800, Linley Crackel
><lcra...@transport.wa.gov.au> wrote:
>
>I HAVE 3 WORDS.............................
>YAN CAN COOK
>Definetly the greatest cooking show ever to grace a TV screen
>

I ALSO HAVE 3 WORDS
TWO FAT LADIES
BEATS YAN CAN COOK HANDS DOWN

ann bishop

unread,
May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98
to

My vote goes to Harry Potter.I think he is 9news.He really gets up my nose
annieb

Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us
LEO TOLSTOY
ann...@webtime.com.au

Simon

unread,
May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98
to

On Tue, 05 May 1998 22:40:34 +1000, "Robert Boase" <rbo...@mis.net.au>
wrote:

It would appear that you can stop touching yourself up when those two
fools cook, and face the reality of the greatness of
MARTIN YAN!!!!!

Robert Boase

unread,
May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98
to


>
>It would appear that you can stop touching yourself up when those two
>fools cook, and face the reality of the greatness of
>MARTIN YAN!!!!!


But Yan can only cook Asian food (which I do sometimes enjoy)
Where as the two fat ladies cook recipes from around the world!!!!


Kylie

unread,
May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98
to

In article <6ipil6$9ti$1...@nswpull.telstra.net>,
Provided the recipe calls for 2 gallons of cream, a pound of butter, 4 pounds
of meat and some goose fat! None of those unhealthy vegetarian types round
here, thankyou! Needless to say, I love the show because it's full of food
I'd never dare cook in case my arteries spontaneously hardened.

K.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills,
Than a mansion in the slums"
Neil Finn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rod Limerick

unread,
May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98
to

Simon wrote:

> It would appear that you can stop touching yourself up when those two
> fools cook, and face the reality of the greatness of
> MARTIN YAN!!!!!

All hail Martin Yan, For Martin Yan is God of TV kitchens!!!

DEATH TO THE TWO FAT BUSH PIGS!!!! :)

Rod


Iain Macpherson

unread,
May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98
to

ann bishop wrote in message <89444512...@duey.webtime.com.au>...


>My vote goes to Harry Potter.I think he is 9news.He really gets up my nose


He's actually on Channel 10 - "First at Five NEWS" with that moron, Tim
Bailey!


James Cullen

unread,
May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98
to

In article <35530B19...@omen.net.au>, lim...@omen.net.au says...

>
>Simon wrote:
>
>> It would appear that you can stop touching yourself up when those two
>> fools cook, and face the reality of the greatness of
>> MARTIN YAN!!!!!

Bugger them all.
I live for the day I am invited to dine in the house of Mr Ian Parmenter(sp?
MMMM Bliss! With a glass of red wine (Australian, of course).
Mind you Im sure he is as mad as a meat axe.


>


10 percent less Powdered TOAST Man

unread,
May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98
to

A very special person named James Cullen, who is a *WINNER* said:
> Bugger them all.
> I live for the day I am invited to dine in the house of Mr Ian Parmenter(sp?
> MMMM Bliss! With a glass of red wine (Australian, of course).
> Mind you Im sure he is as mad as a meat axe.

Yan has to win, closely followed up by Pink^H^H^H^HKeith Floyd.
ANyone who can drink that much and stay on air is a hero of mine.

But we have a NEW loser in the kitchen, taking over from Belinda Jeffry
is: (drumroll)
THE ONE OFF FCTV THAT DOESN'T HAVE A NECK.
AND she walks to and from the fridge s-l-o-w-l-y without talking to you.

At least Martin Yan SPRINTS.
Keith Floyd prefers his wine at room temperature.

And the two fat ladies don't care as long as it's lard.
--
Powdered TOAST Man CR-ELM:s303...@mpce.mq.edu.au
Chews Sport! H-URL:http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6431
Chews *Roast* Ox and Cheese CUD !
if (you.canRead(this)) you.canGet(new job(!problem));

diane-...@bigpond.com

unread,
Sep 18, 2016, 11:38:54 PM9/18/16
to
On Wednesday, April 22, 1998 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, sho...@hello.net.au wrote:
> My vote goes to the cook on "Better Homes And Gardens" with a special mention
> for Seven's sports reporter Jim "Wilson-nuh" Wilson whose consistent over-
> pronunciation of the 'n' at the end of words (like his own name) is really
> starting to shit me off.
>
> Any other contenders?
>
> Steve
>
> -----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

I totally agree with both choices, but add Scott Cam & Shelley Craft equally as annoying

Government Shill #2

unread,
Sep 18, 2016, 11:47:39 PM9/18/16
to
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:38:52 -0700 (PDT), diane-...@bigpond.com wrote:
>On Wednesday, April 22, 1998 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, sho...@hello.net.au wrote:

Wow! That must be some kind of record?

Responding to a post that is over 18 years old. I. Am. Amazed.

Not only that...
> -----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

A post from DejaNews. There's a blast from the past.

Shill #2
--
24 beers in a carton. 24 hours in a day. Hmmmm.......

Jeßus

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 2:20:43 AM9/19/16
to
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 13:47:31 +1000, Government Shill #2
<gov....@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:38:52 -0700 (PDT), diane-...@bigpond.com wrote:
>>On Wednesday, April 22, 1998 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, sho...@hello.net.au wrote:
>
>Wow! That must be some kind of record?

I recently came across a reply to a 1996 post :)


>Responding to a post that is over 18 years old. I. Am. Amazed.

Google groups, says it all...

>
>Not only that...
>> -----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
>> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading
>
>A post from DejaNews. There's a blast from the past.

Back before google bought deja and ruined it.

Government Shill #2

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 2:26:11 AM9/19/16
to
Yep.

Shill #2
--
We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us.
W.H. Thompson

Max

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 6:12:04 AM9/19/16
to

"Jeßus" <j...@j.net> wrote in message
news:be0vtblvu1cr3rlb1...@j.net...
Someone replies to an old post on Google Groups and Jeßus criticises it.
Like day follows night.

Computer Nerd Kev

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 6:45:00 PM9/19/16
to
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:
>
> "Je?us" <j...@j.net> wrote in message
> Someone replies to an old post on Google Groups and Je?us criticises it.
> Like day follows night.

Someone makes a comment and you try to get into a pointless
argument over it.
Like day follows night.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Jeßus

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 7:50:26 PM9/19/16
to
Correct.

Jeßus

unread,
Sep 19, 2016, 7:51:51 PM9/19/16
to
In his case, Usenet's just a form of a child minding service.

Mark Nowane

unread,
Dec 11, 2021, 12:27:45 AM12/11/21
to
Gday Mark here the most annoyingly voice to me is the channell 9 voice over guy painfully bad you have to be quick on the mute button
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages