REL: Did John write an epistle?

Rachael Bahl

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In the command room, towards the end of TFWID, Scully looks up the Bible
passage "He laid down his life for us..." and gets the result the first
epistle of Saint John, chapter 3.

What I want to know is - did John write and epistle? Or did she really
mean the gospel of John?

Please advise, thanks,
Rachael.

Christopher Stuart

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

On 5 Mar 1997 14:05:10 GMT, ba...@bf.rmit.edu.au (Rachael Bahl) wrote:

>What I want to know is - did John write and epistle? Or did she really
>mean the gospel of John?

Biblically speaking there is:

The Gospel According To John
The First Epistle Of John
The Second Epistle Of John
The Third Epistle Of John
The Revelation Of St John The Devine

Christopher

Drag me, drop me, treat me like an object.

ker...@acslink.aone.net.au

Rachael Bahl

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

ker...@acslink.aone.net.au (Christopher Stuart) writes:

>On 5 Mar 1997 14:05:10 GMT, ba...@bf.rmit.edu.au (Rachael Bahl) wrote:

>>What I want to know is - did John write and epistle? Or did she really
>>mean the gospel of John?

>Biblically speaking there is:

>The Gospel According To John
>The First Epistle Of John
>The Second Epistle Of John
>The Third Epistle Of John
>The Revelation Of St John The Devine

Which are the epistles of John? Who were they to?

>Christopher

Thanks,
--
Rachael

ba...@bf.rmit.edu.au

Christian Graus

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

On 5 Mar 1997 14:05:10 GMT, ba...@bf.rmit.edu.au (Rachael Bahl) wrote:

>In the command room, towards the end of TFWID, Scully looks up the Bible
>passage "He laid down his life for us..." and gets the result the first
>epistle of Saint John, chapter 3.
>

>What I want to know is - did John write and epistle? Or did she really
>mean the gospel of John?

No, besides the Gospel of John there also exist the books of 1, 2 and
3 John just before Jude and Revelation. They are written in a
markedly different style to Pauls writings, more simple and down to
earth, given the different background of the two men.

The verse quoted with a few more to correct the context:

(1 John 3:16-18 NKJV) By this we know love, because He laid down His
life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need,
and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in
him? 18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but
in deed and in truth.

I will take this oppotunity to say this is a rare instance where they
actually bothered to quote the Bible instead of making something up
and claiming it to be in there. For example in Revelations the
non-existant Saint Ignatious is refered to as being in the Bible. In
fact the name does not appear there ( which is why I don't know how to
spell it ), and the Bible only refers to people as Saint whoever in
the titles of the Epistles which have been added, the Bible itself
refers to all Christians as saints.

RtWL

m.michae...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2013, 12:41:28 PM9/23/13
On Wednesday, March 5, 1997 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Rachael Bahl wrote:
> In the command room, towards the end of TFWID, Scully looks up the Bible
> passage "He laid down his life for us..." and gets the result the first
> epistle of Saint John, chapter 3.
>
> What I want to know is - did John write and epistle? Or did she really
> mean the gospel of John?
>
> Please advise, thanks,
> Rachael.
fulfilled
Yes, John did write an Epistle.
Here is the

Post reply

1 of 99+ (99+)

alt.religion.barfing-yak ›

Fulfilled from the first epistle of John

1 post by 1 author

me (m.michae...@gmail.com change)

11:38 AM (1 minute ago)

That which was heard from the beginning,
which we have heard,
we have heard with our ears,
which we have seen,
we have seen with our eyes,
that which we have felt,
we have felt in our flesh,
we have also felt in our spirit,
and our hands have handled,
concerning the word of life.

The life was and is manifested,
and we have seen and are seeing,
and have born witness,
to the truth,
and declared to you the eternal life,
forever manifested as it was with the Father,
and was manifested to us.