What is CVBS video format

ozbrit

Nov 17, 2004, 7:57:15 AM11/17/04

My satellite STB has scart connections for my TV, which also has scart
connections. Within the STB's set-up menu it gives the option to set
the video to RGB or CVBS. We know RGB is red green blue, what is CVBS?
The pic on the TV looks the same whichever setting I use.

Cheers

--
ozbrit

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 17, 2004, 9:28:37 AM11/17/04

"ozbrit" <ozbrit...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message
CVBS is composite video.

> Cheers
>

> --
> ozbrit

Sean Anderson

Nov 18, 2004, 8:03:12 AM11/18/04

And you most definately do not want to use that. Stick with the RGB. And
you should be able to easily see the difference it makes. The best place
to look is on menu text - look for shimmering, colour problems etc.

>>Cheers
>>

>>--
>>ozbrit

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 19, 2004, 12:35:05 AM11/19/04

"Sean Anderson" <notmyrea...@mail2world.com> wrote in message

A lot depends on the quality of the TV. On cheaper TVs, like my 80cm Teac,
there is a difference but on more expensive TVs you may not notice much
difference at all.

>>>Cheers
>>>

>>>--
>>>ozbrit

ozbrit

Nov 19, 2004, 6:23:53 AM11/19/04

A lot depends on the quality of the TV. On cheaper TVs, like my 80cm
Teac,
there is a difference but on more expensive TVs you may not notice
much
difference at all.

This probably explains it, i have a Panasonic 100hz, which I think
makes it a quality TV.

I wonder if CVBS stands for Composite Video Broadcast Standard?

--
ozbrit

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 19, 2004, 9:58:06 AM11/19/04

"ozbrit" <ozbrit...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

> A lot depends on the quality of the TV. On cheaper TVs, like my 80cm
> Teac,
> there is a difference but on more expensive TVs you may not notice
> much
> difference at all.
>

> This probably explains it, i have a Panasonic 100hz, which I think
> makes it a quality TV.

Same as my Phillips 100Hz DNM TV.

> I wonder if CVBS stands for Composite Video Broadcast Standard?

Close. Composite Video Broadcast Signal.

> --
> ozbrit

Ian Mackenzie

Nov 20, 2004, 4:19:03 AM11/20/04

> > I wonder if CVBS stands for Composite Video Broadcast Standard?
> >

> Close. Composite Video Broadcast Signal.

RUBBISH!

The VBS stands for V for Vision, B stands for Blanking, and S stands for Sync.
This European terminology for monochrome video signals goes back many years
before colour and when colour was introduced the C was added standing for colour.

The CVBS stands for Colour, Video, Blanking ,Sync.
This is of course plain old composite video.

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 20, 2004, 7:51:08 AM11/20/04

"Ian Mackenzie" <10024...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

>> > I wonder if CVBS stands for Composite Video Broadcast Standard?
>> >

>> Close. Composite Video Broadcast Signal.
>> >
> RUBBISH!

NOT!

> The VBS stands for V for Vision, B stands for Blanking, and S stands for
> Sync.
> This European terminology for monochrome video signals goes back many
> years
> before colour and when colour was introduced the C was added standing for
> colour.
>
> The CVBS stands for Colour, Video, Blanking ,Sync.
> This is of course plain old composite video.

I love it when somebody with no technical background becomes an instant
Google expert without actually understanding what they are talking about.
You are of course correct in your assertion. But so am I. Both names are
equally in use, as is Colour Video Baseband Signal but Composite Video
Broadcast Signal is more descriptive and easier for non-technical types to
understand which is why I used that name in response to the OP.

SA000584

Nov 20, 2004, 3:14:04 PM11/20/04

H00htee the n1ght 0wl Wrote:

> A lot depends on the quality of the TV. On cheaper TVs, like my 80cm
> Teac,
> there is a difference but on more expensive TVs you may not notice
> much
> difference at all.

I would have thought it would be the other way around, a cheap tv,
would always look crap no matter what the quality of the cable and
signal. Where as a good tv you would see the true difference between a
good and bad quality cable and RGB and composite video signals.

--
SA000584

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 20, 2004, 3:46:36 PM11/20/04

"SA000584" <SA00058...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message
Once the signal reaches the TV, how the input circuitry handles the signal
makes a big difference. Then the internal circuitry processes it further. In
the cheap TVs the processing in both sections leaves a lot to be desired but
if you present a good RGB signal it looks better than composite because it
avoids the earlier processing that composite gets. In a more expensive TV
tighter component tolerances and better circuit design means the signals are
processed more "efficiently" resulting in a better signal regardless of
which input you use.

> --
> SA000584

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 24, 2004, 6:24:16 AM11/24/04

"Ian Mackenzie" <10024...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> "H00htee the n1ght 0wl" wrote the following......

>> I love it when somebody with no technical background becomes an instant
>> Google expert without actually understanding what they are talking about.
>> You are of course correct in your assertion. But so am I. Both names are
>> equally in use, as is Colour Video Baseband Signal but Composite Video
>> Broadcast Signal is more descriptive and easier for non-technical types
>> understand which is why I used that name in response to the OP.
>
> Well I think that you should go and get a good book on the history of
> television and do a little research.
>
> The CVBS and VBS etc designations go back to the original German
> "Fernseh" equipment that channel nine used when they went to air in
> 1956.
>
> As someone who has worked in TV and Radio as a Chief Engineer for some
> 40 years, and am now a broadcast engineering consultant I do indeed
> have some "Technical Background".
> I was responsible for commissioning the Thomcast digital transmitters
> for the commercial stations in the capital cities, I did the training
> for the operators, and have been responsible for numerous satellite,
> radio and television transmission and studio installations.

Yawn. We have only your word for what you say. Post a copy of your
qualifications and resume and I might change my mind.

> Again I say to your other designations... Rubbish!

I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

Here's just two QUICK examples to back up what I said. There are plenty more
around if you bother to look.
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=CVBS&Find=Find
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/734
In the second example look for the section titled "Composite/CVBS Interface"

Feel free to post something to prove I'm wrong. I've got plenty more to
prove I'm right.

Ian Mackenzie

Nov 24, 2004, 4:19:32 AM11/24/04
"H00htee the n1ght 0wl" wrote the following rubbish......

> I love it when somebody with no technical background becomes an instant
> Google expert without actually understanding what they are talking about.
> You are of course correct in your assertion. But so am I. Both names are
> equally in use, as is Colour Video Baseband Signal but Composite Video
> Broadcast Signal is more descriptive and easier for non-technical types to
> understand which is why I used that name in response to the OP.

Well I think that you should go and get a good book on the history of

television and do a little research.

The CVBS and VBS etc designations go back to the original German
"Fernseh" equipment that channel nine used when they went to air in
1956.

As someone who has worked in TV and Radio as a Chief Engineer for some
40 years, and am now a broadcast engineering consultant I do indeed
have some "Technical Background".
I was responsible for commissioning the Thomcast digital transmitters
for the commercial stations in the capital cities, I did the training
for the operators, and have been responsible for numerous satellite,
radio and television transmission and studio installations.

Ian Mackenzie

Nov 24, 2004, 3:55:47 PM11/24/04
"H00htee the n1ght 0wl" wrote....

> Yawn. We have only your word for what you say. Post a copy of your
> qualifications and resume and I might change my mind.

Take a look at my website http://www.chromatronics.com or the website
of a client who I do a large amount of consulting for.
http://www.comsyst.com.au

Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004, 12:13:36 AM11/25/04

I agree with Ian Mac.....CVSB stands for Chroma Video Sync Blanking

Went to one of the sites that Night Owl listed and guess what I found

"Composite video is also referred to as CVBS, which stands for color,
video, blanking, and sync"
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/734

I have worked in TV since '77 and Ian I reckon all these wanna bees
would think the back porch was a verandah.

--
Red Menace

Ian Mackenzie

Nov 25, 2004, 6:49:59 AM11/25/04
Red Menace <Red.Mena...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message news:<Red.Mena...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au>...

Yes!

And sync is somewhere you wash your hands.

As you may know some years ago Tektronix put little cartoons in most
of their circuits in manuals.
One was a little house with a "Back Porch", another a sink hanging off
the back of a building labelled "Sync" but my favourite was the little
picture of a guy in an old time leather flying helmet holding a candle
labelled "Pilot Light"
It was in the 141 sync generator manual as I remember.

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 25, 2004, 11:13:06 AM11/25/04

"Ian Mackenzie" <10024...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> "H00htee the n1ght 0wl" wrote....
>
>> Yawn. We have only your word for what you say. Post a copy of your
>> qualifications and resume and I might change my mind.
>>
> Take a look at my website http://www.chromatronics.com

Prove that YOU are the owner of the site.

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 25, 2004, 11:17:17 AM11/25/04

"Red Menace" <Red.Mena...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

> I agree with Ian Mac.....CVSB stands for Chroma Video Sync Blanking
>
> Went to one of the sites that Night Owl listed and guess what I found
>
> "Composite video is also referred to as CVBS, which stands for color,
> video, blanking, and sync"
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/734

Actually the ENTIRE sentence is "Composite video is also referred to as
CVBS, which stands for color, video, blanking, and sync, or composite video
baseband signal" so you must agree with me as well.

> I have worked in TV since '77

TV n00b. I beat you by at least 3 years. ;)

Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004, 3:00:13 PM11/25/04

> I have worked in TV since '77[/color]

TV n00b. I beat you by at least 3 years. ;)

But just being the cleaner doesn't count.

--
Red Menace

Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004, 5:02:39 PM11/25/04

Ian, here are a couple of sites with Tektronix humour

http://www.reprise.com/host/tektronix/humor/default.asp

http://w1.871.telia.com/~u87127076/humor/

--
Red Menace

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 25, 2004, 8:13:27 PM11/25/04

"Red Menace" <Red.Mena...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

>> I have worked in TV since '77[/color]
>
> TV n00b. I beat you by at least 3 years. ;)
>
> But just being the cleaner doesn't count.

So you actually started after 77 then? How long were you the cleaner?

> --
> Red Menace

Ian Mackenzie

Nov 28, 2004, 6:35:31 AM11/28/04
> > "H00htee the n1ght 0wl" wrote....
>
> Prove that YOU are the owner of the site.

OK Smartar**

Have a look at the site again now.......

H00htee the n1ght 0wl

Nov 28, 2004, 6:55:27 AM11/28/04

"Ian Mackenzie" <10024...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

YAAWN. How long are you going to go on about this? The OP's question was
answered.