Hornady 7mm 120gn V-Max

Rod Outback

Sep 19, 2015, 6:01:18 AM9/19/15
Folks,

After a good 12 months running a diet of mostly Nosler Ballistic Tips in
120gn, the Tikka is now onto the Hornady V-Max equivalent.

I had read that the V-Max is a lighter-built projectile, and therefore
tends to blow up on heavier skinned game.

So, this afternoon, we went out for the evening roo-pokk.

Yeah.......for light-skinned game like roos and smaller, these things are
freaking devastating. From the closest shot (~75 yards), out to around 200
yards for the furtherest one, the roos dropped like schoolcases. The
half-dozen deadduns I inspected, had massive exit wounds, and none of them
moved a single pace from the point of impact.
In comparison, the BT shots earlier in the week, it was quite common to
have a mortal shot, and yet they still departed, and some even made it over
100 yards before droppping.

The amount of hydrostatic shock the V-max projectiles seem to be doing, is
huge. The majority of projectiles exited, but they took a huge chunk of
chest with them.

I'm pretty sure I'd keep the Ballistic Tips for pigs, but the V-Max's beat
them hands-down for the lighter game.
We hope we might see a pig or two, to see how the V-Max's go on them.
However, the V-Max sell for half the cost of the BT's, so I'm thinking we
might be keeping a LOT more of them in stock...

Cheers,

Rod.

--
Working the iPad...

Rod Outback

Sep 22, 2015, 9:15:14 PM9/22/15

"Rod Outback" <Nam...@Clackwarble.com.it> wrote in message
So, over the past week, the elder brother has been using the T3 (7mm-08)
exclusively. He has pokked a goodly number of hoppy-pokks, and so we know
the V-Max projectiles are ripping them apart like a demented buzzsaw...
However, we hadnt had the opportunity to assess the V-max effect on Hot
Pork.
You will remember that I had concerns that the V-Max might be just a little
too lightly built for your average shoulder of pork.

Well....that proved to be a rather unfounded concern!
It turns out the 120Gn projectiles are ripping pigs to pieces with gay
abandon!
Hot Pork has been pokked over a range of 40 yards, through to approx 170
yards, and the result has been devastatingly impressive!

So, if I was choosing a suitable projectile for my 7mm-08 for MOST of the
types of game you will encounter in Australia, I would say the V-Max is
about the best value for money projectile around.
My mate who runs a .260(6.5mm), tells me that the 95Gn V-max projectiles are
just as effective on both Pokk-Hoppys' and Hot Pork as well.
I do now have a few hundred 87Gn V-max projectiles for my .243(6mm). I hope
to load them up in the next few weeks, and see how they do, but I'll be
freaking surprised if they dont work just as well.

So, whilst I am definately a Nosler BT fan, I am also developing a healthy
love for the V-Max range of projectiles as well!

Now, if I can just get the elder brother to ALSO spend a little time;
figuring out how to apply holdover consistently, so we dont keep wasting the
freaking ammunition!

Important research, this...

Cheers,

Rod.

Bluey69

Sep 25, 2015, 9:17:22 AM9/25/15
I watched a bloke testing Vmax projs on Utube last night , he had a 223
and big slab of ballistic gel cant recall the wieght of the proj's but
the effect at 210yds was impressive .Wound channel started about 3/4"
into the gel and just got bigger and opend up into a big cavity about
3'' inches deep
Im keen to try some of the Vmax in my 222R ,so Icalled into my lgs this
morning , sorry none in stock need to order and we need to have a
minimum order of $200 to get the distributor to send anything at all .
Well fuck it I may as well just order them myself on line.
I see a guy flogging boxes of 500 55 Grn 224 Vmax on one of the online
gun sales websites for $110.00+ post.But I would rather use the 50grn as
all my other projectiles I have are that wieght. Hate pissing around
with different bullet wieghts,,,once I get a good load I like to stick
to it.

Have you tried the Nosler Hot Shots at all or the Speer TNT's ?

Kev.

Rod Outback

Sep 27, 2015, 8:45:15 PM9/27/15

"Bluey69" <blu...@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
Kev,

I dont know of Nosler Hot Shots. What are they?

I have used the Federal Factory Vital-Shok .308 130Gn HP, which the box
states is a Speer TNT projectile.
These have proven to be EXTREMELY accurate out to around 350 yards or so,
and thats plenty good enough for us. They are also extremely devastating on
roos and pigs.
From what I've seen, the Speer TNT HP are probably one of the better HP
projectiles around for the sorts of game we encounter.

Cheers,

Rod.

Bluey69

Sep 28, 2015, 3:03:41 AM9/28/15

from
I just picked up a box of 500 Hornady Z Max 50 grainers for the 222R
from Cleavers online shop .They have a sale on ATM
I think at $99.00 they were pretty goodly priced .That amount should
last me quite a while .They have the bright green Zombie polymer tip but
are basically the same bullet as the VMax.the Zombie factor is just a
marketing thing for the Yanks.

Also got 1000 X 30 Cal Hornady gas checks for my 303 on the same order

The Noslers projectiles are called "Shots" saw them advertised at dubya
dubya dubya Shooters.com.au where I buy a lot of stuff ,never heard of
them until the other day when I was surfing thier website site.

Speaking of Cleavers ,I was over there in July and dropped in looking
for Hornady brass in 500 x 3" Nitro Express and got talking to Tony
Cleaver , showed me his collection of Colt Single Action pistols .
He only collects ones with Australian history , must have about 200 all up .
Even has a six barreled pepper box pistol that was supposed to belong to
Ned Kellys sister. His collection is really something and worth a look
if you ever go there.
Thats if you haven't already perved on his collection.

Kev.