Elvstrom Tactician

The Real Andy

Jun 4, 2009, 4:55:03 AM6/4/09
We have one of these beast which was made by a member. Not sure where
he got if from, buts its a photocopy that has been glued to a piece of
plastic/carboard and covered with contact.

For those that dont know what it is, its basically a tool so you can
calculate course angles. The base plate has wind direction, you set
the compass card to match the angle of the wind (compass bearing) then
you set the windward leg angle. IT basically tells you the angle of
the downwind and reaching legs of an olympic triange.

I want a new one of these, but I cand find one. HAs anyone heard of,
or seen one of these for sail? They are a great tool.

jg

Jun 4, 2009, 9:08:24 PM6/4/09

Never knew about it, but I noticed Elvestrom Explains is still in print
so chances might be quite good. Whitworth's might be a good place to
inquire.

The Real Andy

Jun 28, 2009, 5:46:28 AM6/28/09

Found out that musto do the same thing, called a compucourse. Not the
same thing, but not far off it either.
http://www.marinesuperstore.com/posit/shop/index.php?selectedpartno=04829