Prop guard for small outboards?

Internode

Feb 15, 2010, 10:11:48 PM2/15/10
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good prop guard for small (e.g 2.5HP
outboard engine).

Inflatables are great things for kids to muck around in, but having heard of
a couple of propellor accidents, I'm thinking it's time to get a guard
fitted. But it seems most of the products aim at larger engines.

Even a 2.5hp can do lots of damage. I was flushing it through the other
night in a plastic garbage bin, got distracted and the prop touched the side
of the bin. It shredded the bin. Made me sick to think of what it might do
to flesh.

Thanks in advance

-- Ian

jg

Feb 16, 2010, 8:39:47 PM2/16/10

Our club recently fitted one each to our 5hp and 18hp motors (Tohatsu's).
Parker Marine in Welshpool supplied & fitted them. Can't give you a
brand name sorry.
It was $375 + $150 fitting for the 5hp, $875 + $300 for the 18hp inc GST.
Plus $125 for freight and travel to fit them at the club (MYC).
Aluminium bands with no mesh cover over the middle. We are very pleased
with them, should protect the propellers from damage too.
Can't believe it took so long to realise we should have them.
Must check why we don't seem to have put one on our inflatable, not sure
what motor is on that one. The requirement is the same.

Andy Champ

Feb 18, 2010, 2:37:40 PM2/18/10
Internode wrote:

> Even a 2.5hp can do lots of damage. I was flushing it through the other
> night in a plastic garbage bin, got distracted and the prop touched the side
> of the bin. It shredded the bin. Made me sick to think of what it might do
> to flesh.

If you really want to know (and it's messy) here's a Florida report on a
manatee being hit by a prop.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/12/State/Governor__Slow_down_m.shtml

Andy

Stan Blazejewski

Feb 24, 2010, 7:07:37 AM2/24/10
Our club has had a couple made by & mob called ..
Programmed Engineering Services Australia
web site at http://www.progeng.com.au/prop.html
They have a 'dimension form' to make a custom guard if your engine is not one of
their 'off the shelf' models. Ours were both custom & were under $400, off the
shelf is cheaper.
Solid stainless steel construction, they come with instructions & everything
needed to fit yourself.

http://www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
http://www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)