Nacra 5.8 for sale

Garry Beattie

Jan 4, 2008, 2:45:43 PM1/4/08
Hi Shaun

I just thought I would re-post this for you.

It was on the Australian yachting site at
http://groups.msn.com/AustralianYachting/forsale.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1625&LastModified=4675651440292898543

NACRA 5.8 For Sale. Brand new mast, Reg. trailer, Sailbox, Beach wheels.

Good learning boat. $5,800.00 ono. Contact Brad 0416179493

or catch us at the Bundaberg Sailing Club. (Phantom Menace 5.8)

Garry

D Parker

Jan 6, 2008, 4:03:39 AM1/6/08

"Garry Beattie" <gjbe...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

Nacra 5.8..... Good learning boat? Wow, thats a little bit of an
understatement.. Nacras are definately more of an experienced sailors boat.

DP

Garry Beattie

Jan 6, 2008, 7:24:16 AM1/6/08

"D Parker" <nospamo...@hotmailnospam.com.> wrote in message

I thought the same thing Dave.

I think what they may have meant to say was that it was a good learning boat
for the step up into Nacra's.

A Nacra 5.8 is certainly not a place for a novice sailor just learning,
unless of course he is crewing for a more experienced sailor.

Garry

Shaun Van Poecke

Jan 8, 2008, 7:43:27 AM1/8/08
Hi Guys,
Been offline for a few days setting up the new computer.... Curse
Toshiba/microsoft! They are forcing Vista down the throats of consumers
and not supporting XP. Got most drivers I was chasing, but if i had
known before i bought, I may have decided otherwise!

Come on Garry, Posting this was just a tease to me :-(

I'll console myself with the fact that this is just too much boat for me
to sail solo... though it would be just the thing for my whitsundays
trip! Im still keeping my eye open for an A class, maybe an older one.

I agree with what your saying, by 'learner boat' he probably means good
for training as opposed to being in a good enough condition for
competitive racing.

"D Parker" <nospamo...@hotmailnospam.com.> wrote in

D Parker

Jan 10, 2008, 7:38:39 PM1/10/08
The simple solution to the "to much boat" problem you have is a reef. Its
unusual in off the beat cats, but it will work. By simply reducing 2-3 feet
of sail you will be surprised at how much easier the boat will be to sail
single handed. Plus you will be able shake out the reef in lighter winds to
get your speed up. Another option for you might be to grab a smaller main
from somewhere. A hobie 14 main could be just the thing.

An A class is still a hand full. You will find it more work than the Cobra.

DP
"Shaun Van Poecke" <imagi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Garry Beattie

Jan 10, 2008, 10:50:39 PM1/10/08

> The simple solution to the "to much boat" problem you have is a reef. Its
> unusual in off the beat cats, but it will work. By simply reducing 2-3
> feet
> of sail you will be surprised at how much easier the boat will be to sail
> single handed. Plus you will be able shake out the reef in lighter winds
> get your speed up. Another option for you might be to grab a smaller main
> from somewhere. A hobie 14 main could be just the thing.
>
> An A class is still a hand full. You will find it more work than the
> Cobra.
>
> DP

I don't think you can reef the main of a Nacra 5.8 as they do not have a
boom. I am not sure how you would do it.

As far as A class go though, I think an A Class is the next step up again
from a Nacra 5.8 isn't it?

I was always led to believe that if a Cobra was a VW, the Nacra 5.8 would be
the Ferrari while the A class would be a Formula 1!!

Very fast but very flimsy!!

Garry

D Parker

Jan 11, 2008, 12:51:40 AM1/11/08

"Garry Beattie" <gjbe...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

Yeh true about the A class.

Also true about the lack of boom on the 5.8, Yeh not reefable ( if thats a
word). But from memory the boats not much bigger in sail area than the
cobra. They were mainly a more modern hull and sail shape design- the 16
Squared was more performance oriented.. The F18 on the hand appears to be a
rocket ship.

I would think the Cobra was a beetle and the Nacra 5.8 a Passat.. Faster,
but not much faster. I would rather call a cobra a Kingswood and the nacra a
monaro..:) The VW is better represented by caper cats and arafura cadets :)

DP

Garry Beattie

Jan 11, 2008, 11:53:46 PM1/11/08

> I would rather call a cobra a Kingswood and the nacra a monaro..:) The VW
> is better represented by caper cats and arafura cadets :)
>
> DP

Yes. I agree. I stand corrected.

And in amongst those the Hobie 16 would be the Premier.
It has the same performance as the Kingswood, but is heavier and has more
sail area.
I still think the Nacra 5.8 would be the 5L Monaro though. They are quite a
bit faster than the Cobra.

All things aside though, the Cobra is still a great boat and very
competitive in its class.

Garry

nasar...@yahoo.com

Aug 9, 2012, 11:28:28 PM8/9/12